Thread: What primers: 500SW ?

Default What primers: 500SW ?

What brand of primers are you guys using that gave you consistent results for assembling your 500SW ammo?
    I'm having weird results with my first batch of primers I bought for the 500SW across 3 types of powders.
    With another brand I bought for my 44 mag cartridges, I had zero problems with all the powders I used.

Also, do you need LR Magnum primers to get more consistency or are you using just regular Large Rifle primers?

I started with Federal Gold Medal Match, GM210M I think. I ran out and couldn't buy anymore after our current president was inagurated, CCI large rifle was all I could get. So I used a bunch of CCI large rifle, both regular and bench rest versions.

I am sure primer choice makes a small difference, but all of those were able to reliably ignite a hefty charge of H110. I wouldn't go too nuts on a primer quest until you have bullet seating pretty well dialed in, I'll go back and see if I can open the attachments in the crimping thread today. I couldn't see the attachments yesterday.

I've used Rem 9 1/2's, CCI LR Mag's, and Fed 215's. Never had a misfire with any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    I've used Rem 9 1/2's, CCI LR Mag's, and Fed 215's. Never had a misfire with any of them.
    Any particular reason why you used magnum primers for the CCI and Federal ones?

May I know why you used magnum primers for the CCI and Federal ones?

May I know why you used magnum primers for the CCI and Federal ones?

Default Duplicates: sorry

The system was having a hiccup earlier on and I had a few errors posting them. Didn't know they still go thru.
    Sorry about that.

I prefer cci 250 with starline brass ,h110

I posted this twice last night and it wouldn’t take, stupid computers!

Why magnum? It depends on the powder, H110/W296 is a hard to light powder and needs a hot magnum primer to be sure it lights. LilGun is much easer to light and a normal primer works fine . . . magnum or not is based on the powders resistance to ignition.

Rifle primers are called for in 500, 460, 454, and some others I think due to high operating pressures. The thicker cup in a rifle primer is designed to take the pressure, handgun primers are rated for something like 50.000psi and these rounds 65,000psi. You can usually get away with handgun primers though because nobody acutely loads these things to their pressure ratings and the thinner cup of handgun primers light with a softer strike than rifle primers. I don’t bother messing with handgun primers though and just stick with the rifle.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I posted this twice last night and it wouldn’t take, stupid computers!

Why magnum? It depends on the powder, H110/W296 is a hard to light powder and needs a hot magnum primer to be sure it lights. LilGun is much easer to light and a normal primer works fine . . . magnum or not is based on the powders resistance to ignition.

Rifle primers are called for in 500, 460, 454, and I think some others due to high operating pressures. The thicker cup in a rifle primer is designed to take the pressure, handgun primers are rated for something like 50.000psi and these rounds 65,000psi. You can usually get away with handgun primers though because nobody acutely loads these things to their pressure ratings and the thinner cup of handgun primers light with a softer strike than rifle primers. I don’t bother messing with handgun primers though and just stick with the rifle.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

H-110, magnum large rifle primers and a reasonable crimp. Speaking of crimp I have both Lee and RCBS. I prefer RCBS but just could not weight for the RCBS to arrive so got the Lee for the interval. I have had no crimp jump problems with either set. I always check the case length with an RCBS trim die.