Thread: 20ft Bayrunner center console

Default 20ft Bayrunner center console

My buddy just picked one up for fishing the salt. I know its not a long range boat but what can you tell me about it? Thanks for your help!

A bud of mine has an 18 and I've spent time in it. I'd like the 20 better, just for a bit more bottom on the water. They're pretty flat on the bottom and comparatively light, so if you stick your fist in the carburetor in the wrong wave period or course, passengers will get pounded. It's not bad for the guy pointing the boat because he's standing with something to hold onto. But the sitters take it....

Easy fix is to get your fist out of the carb and adjust course with short steep chop. In most waves and chop it will be fine, but just the right combo is uncomfortable. But that's true for all lighter boats with flatter bottoms.. I'd have been proud to find and buy a 20 back when I was looking for another boat.

Central peninsula, between the K-rivers

I have a 19.8- which I guess is the 20. BrownBear is correct; it will pound a bit and your passengers will get wet, but the guy at the wheel does OK because he is closer to the fulcrum point. I know there can be issues with metal fatigue on the bottom (Tustumena posted on that some time back). I seldom go farther than Point Pogy, so I can always run for cover.
    All in all a good boat, though mine seems kind of narrow and tippy at times. Compared to the Koffler I once owned it seems a bit poorly built.

I have a Bayrunner 18ft center console. I have owned a Bayrunner 18 for over 10 years, on my second one now. I have operated it in waters as diverse as the salt around Kodiak to the rivers in the Interior. I regularly make trips to my cabin on the Kantishna River with my skiff. From Nenana its about a 100mile one way trip. One particularly memorable trip was from the Anchorage boat launch to the mouth of the Little Su to fish Kings. On the way back the outgoing tide and strong winds from the south stacked up the waves near Fire Island. The Bayrunner did an amazing job cutting through the heavy chop. I did get a little wet though.

I have an 18 with a 90hp and love it. Its perfect for the summers in SE, easy to tow, beach launch/land, and the more I get used to the more i like it. Like everyone else said, its a wet ride when it gets rough (3-4'), I'm usually having a good time steering thru the chop but my buddies in front are always relieved to get back to the ramp. Mine is an '81 and doesn't leak a drop, heard others say they start to develop pinholes around the transom when they get old, don't see it on mine though, maybe I got lucky. Wish I had a 20. I looked at a 22' cuddy cabin a guy down here was selling over the summer, it would have been BA, but hit the rocks at some point and had some ugly repairs to the bottom that were just too much of a turnoff.

tustumena & kasilof

I like my bayrunner. Its old and I've abused the heck out of it the last 5 years. Last spring I took it to a welder to fix up and I had broken the welds to all the ribs in the boat except for the last two by the stern. Tustumena can be tough. So you need to keep in mind it is a lightweight aluminum boat and not designed to be pounded as hard as you think it can handle, because it will break. The guy in the back by the standup console running the boat doesn't feel the pain, you have to watch your passengers up in the bow and adjust speed for them. When I'm by myself I will head into 25 mph winds but if I have passengers I won't do that. The thing about this 18 footer that bothers me the most is if you quarter into a wave you better pay attention and hang on because it has the potential to throw the boat around and you out because its so light and the bow can cut water. But that is the beauty of the boat too. Its light enough to where one person can put it back in the water, fuel efficient too, I can do a 50 mile roundtrip to my cabin @ 8 gallons in calm water.

Mean streets of Fairview

Quote Originally Posted by tustumena_lake View Post
    The thing about this 18 footer that bothers me the most is if you quarter into a wave you better pay attention and hang on because it has the potential to throw the boat around and you out because its so light and the bow can cut water. But that is the beauty of the boat too.
    tusty speaks wise words. Quartering waves will toss you around the boat if you are careless. My 18' is a great boat. Been in some nasty water. I loaned it to a visiting Norwegian once. When he came back the bow had 800 pounds of rocks in it. Thought the added weight would help, and it did. Frikkin Viking!
    Just be aware that the boat will catch the wave and steer accordingly. If conditions don't allow it, then slow down and hang on.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

They're pretty versatile; think there's one like that for sale at the yard, an 18 or 20 with a 90 2stroke & kicker, I eye it up from time to time but geez so many others out there! It might be interesting to somehow build a lightweight wheelhouse on it.