Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seward to Pony Cove

Default Seward to Pony Cove

How far is it from Seward to Pony Cove? My buddy has a 20ft Bayrunner and we are thinking of heading to Seward to fish Silvers. Are any showing up yet?

I think it's roughly 25+ miles one way. I haven't been out there yet this year, but heard a few were showing up. Maybe someone has some more reliable/current intel.

Yep...about 27 miles...i've had good success from Agnes Cove around the corner to Pony. Saw lots of jumper pink s out there last week so they should be in there.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

There in pony now in pretty decent numbers

Quote Originally Posted by akdube View Post
    Sure wasn't much action when I was there Saturday afternoon...several boats, nobody catching. When I hooked a pink, they all swooped in on my location thinking I was onto something.

Quote Originally Posted by akdube View Post
    Sure wasn't any silver action on Saturday afternoon when I was there. Several boats, nobody catching. WHen I hooked a pink, they all swooped in on my location like I was onto something...

Figure the weekend after next they should be showing in good numbers, by historical standards.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I have only been here for five years and it seems every year they are in the weekend before the 9th, and hardcore the weekend after the 9th. I only remember this because of my yearly July 9th Birthday kitchen pass. But i would love for there to be some more consistant information. I have been hearing since last weekend that they were starting to trickle in. Now there are people saying there are plenty in there, or there are only pinks in there. If all of those people are paying for charters to get out there, then there has to be better info. Please will someone update us on the numbers that are getting harvested at the cleaning stations? If people arent seeing any is it because they dont know how to catch them, but other people are cleaning up and keeping it a secret.

This is the reason i come to this forum, and not AOJ (RELIABLE INFORMATION)

THANKS

Joe.

Can we please get some more reliable information on the silvers in seward? all we are getting since last weekend is they are trickling in. with all of those charters and boats out there we should be getting some more reliable info. I am headed out there next weekend like i have done the past five years. and in the past five years, the weekend before, and after the ninth have produced significantly (at most two hours to limit with five people). Now i know they might be late, but is it just bad info we are all getting, or are the people reporting not knowing how to catch them. With all those boats there must be somone catching them. How many are people seeing at the cleaning stations down there.

This is why i come here and not AOJ.....Reliable Information... Thanks

Joe.

There will be silvers there by next weekend...depending on your approach you should do fine. I usually bet on the weekend after the 4th for my first trip out there and the second week of July being the hot weekend in that area. Water is warming quick and and there should be some to be had. I didn`t target them last week but saw fish from 40'-80' on the finder when passing through there...along with jumping pinks. Saw a few being cleaned as well.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by jojomoose View Post
    Can we please get some more reliable information on the silvers in seward? all we are getting since last weekend is they are trickling in. with all of those charters and boats out there we should be getting some more reliable info. I am headed out there next weekend like i have done the past five years. and in the past five years, the weekend before, and after the ninth have produced significantly (at most two hours to limit with five people). Now i know they might be late, but is it just bad info we are all getting, or are the people reporting not knowing how to catch them. With all those boats there must be somone catching them. How many are people seeing at the cleaning stations down there.

Joe.
    Joe,
    Not sure were your seeing the info but they are not in yet in great numbers. Could be any day now but IMO this coming weekend will be better than last weekend, and by the following weekend, you should be able to find them. If you work hard, you may find them sooner, but that's the report - kinda not we want to hear, but that's it.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by jojomoose View Post

Joe.
    Joe,
    Not to be a smart***** but your are going next weekend regardless. You will go to the spots you have been to with success in the past 5yrs at this time so it really doesn't matter what someone posts. You will be fishing the same methods you always have & as you know it can be hit or miss with more fish coming in every week. So it may take two hrs it may take all day, either way go have fun.

Yep, I'm going this weekend too, no matter what. Excited to use my new (new to me) downriggers. We have always used "Pink Ladies", so I can foresee lots of hang ups and confusion but all in good fun. I got two downriggers, one for each side and I may try to throw a Pink Lady off the back. I'll be sure to let you guys know how we do.
    I have written on my calendar that last year on the 10th of July we were catching them in Calisto Cove, so Iím confident that there will be fish out there this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by wingshooter12g View Post
    Yep, I'm going this weekend too, no matter what. Excited to use my new (new to me) downriggers. We have always used "Pink Ladies", so I can foresee lots of hang ups and confusion but all in good fun. I got two downriggers, one for each side and I may try to throw a Pink Lady off the back. I'll be sure to let you guys know how we do.
    I have written on my calendar that last year on the 10th of July we were catching them in Calisto Cove, so Iím confident that there will be fish out there this weekend.
    Same here, we murdered them by Calisto this time last year so I have my fingers crossed. On another note what do you guys do to avoid pinks? I threw a few back last year but im expecting there will be way more caught on accident this year..

Quote Originally Posted by kevin476 View Post
    Same here, we murdered them by Calisto this time last year so I have my fingers crossed. On another note what do you guys do to avoid pinks? I threw a few back last year but im expecting there will be way more caught on accident this year..
    Seems to me that when I fish deeper, say 40-60' I tend to catch a few less pinks, I also run bigger baits and bigger hooks but seem to still catch a lot of pinks. I have gone to barbless hooks to make releasing the pinks easier too. I actually don't mind keeping pinks so I don't worry about it too much, but those are the tendancies i've noticed!

My son went out to Cheval (sp) yesterday and had a couple stikes but no keepers. Slow, but can and will change any day. Lots of Pinks jumping. wll be out today, tomorrow and Thursday.
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Spent Friday, Sat and Sunday out of Resurrection. No silvers seen at Driftwood, Pony, Cheval. Saw a few jumpers out as far as Johnstone, but not very many. Stopped and cruised thru Pony twice - no boats, and was not marking the large schools of baitfish I've seen there the pst few years.

Also, saw ZERO salmon carcasses at the launch cleaning station, and none at the Seward Rec Camp cleaning houses. As others have said, maybe a week or so away from good numbers.

On the other hand, we did well at Latouche for halibut (one 85#, one 45#, and a couple of 25#'s) and nailed ling on Sunday (one 40#, one 32#). Weather and water was GREAT . . . .

Stopped by Pony on the way out to the chisswells on sat, seen lots of boats trolling and only a few jumpers. On the way back we stopped by pony but was not marking anything so we decided to stop at our rockfish spot there and loaded up on some yellow eye and black bass. Even caught a nice size lingcod there as well, took a couple pictures with it and let him go. Over all it was a good weekend, we stayed out there from friday till sunday.

I got a feeling they will be here any second.......

Let's just hope they're not in the same place our Kings went ~ family's coming in for a visit in 4 days...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast