Thread: Whittier Jun 30, 2012

Default Whittier Jun 30, 2012

Took the Gringo out of Whittier first time ever. Had read lots about fishing in Whittier and figured I could at least find a few small Halibut, but no luck. It's a little hard with the Family on board, youngest being 2 y/o, to really get out and fish hard. Was at least expecting to find some wildlife, but seems other than 1 huge sealion and a ton of jumping salmon, there was nothing moving where I was. We made it all the way out by Perry Island and stopped a few places and caught a few Yelloweye and some quillbacks, but no butts. I got to say, it's a lot deeper out of Whittier than it is out of Seward. Looking forward to exploring some more and glad Ling season is finally open.

Tight lines!

DSCF0845.jpgDSCF0862.jpg

Nice...glad it went smooth. Decent Yelloweye for that area. Halibut are hard to get out there so don`t be too upset. We (better half and 6 yr old) are overnighting in Whittier Tuesday and playing out in the bay wednesday. We will also be running out of Seward on the 13th if you can make it down...hint, bring extra fuel jugs. We will be targeting lings and butts.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Still don't know what we're doing next week, but I'm in on the 13th. Hope the weather is good for a long run. It was a little cold yesterday out of Whittier, but the water was smooth. Hey, how in the heck do you catch those jumping salmon out there? I tried snagging, trolling, and throwing spoones with nothing...and they were thick.

What were you trolling and at what depth?

Out both Saturday and Sunday in Whittier. 30# halibut on Saturday, two rockfish and a 40" ling on Sunday. Pretty good day overall. My brother caught the ling on a salmon rig bouncing a herring jig just off the bottom in about 60' of water. Great fun on that lighter tackle.

We got out Saturday for an overnight trip, landed 11 halibut in the 2 days. The biggest was 165 and the smallest we kept was 40. We released 4 smaller fish. Also ran over to Main Bay and picked up 20 Reds before we had to bug out so we could process fish and make the tunnel.

Tight lines!

Nice reports BigBrown767 and Boreal! I was out friday night and saturday and found one 55-inch butt in Lone Passage, and one large quill back. I think I was more excited than my buddy who baggged the butt as it was by far the largest butt i've had in my boat to date. Maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to break the curse of the no or little butts on my boat. It's been a struggle for me.

I must say thanks (if you're out there) after having a battery problem keeping me from shutting my motor down all day, started getting low on fuel upon the return trip and stumbled on some super nice guys on 'Blueskies' that wouldn't even take my money for 5 gallons of fuel to get us back to the harbor. THANKS GUYS!!!!!! Karma is a wonderful thing!!!!!!!

Here's a sampler video that my daughters boyfriend made of our overnight trip that we returned from yesterday, he says it's a little tease of the movie that he'll make at the end of the season.

The best way to catch halibut in the sound is to have patience! Sometimes I'll have to put down a scent trail for a couple of hours before the first bite. Drop bait bombs every half hour and think of the islands in the sound as a rock in a river. A trout doesn't lay out in the middle of the current, he sits behind a rock and when food come downstream he slips out, eats and slips back behind the rock. The same applies to the baitfish and halibut. Think of the direction of the current and where the fish would likely expend the least amount of energy for their meal. Tight lines!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIyS0fICC_Q&feature=plcp

The link didn't work for me, nice job of the fish though.

the link didn't work for me, nice job on the fish though.

Yep, dont think the video loaded on Youtube is working.

Worked for me.....Nice teaser video FISH ON!

Just opened everything up on a different computer and it worked just fine for me. I love that GoPro, the underwater stuff we shot was amazing.

BigBrown767 - What was your technique for catching the reds?

Just snagged them, there were plenty in the bay and I'm sure we would have limited out if we had a bit more time and the boys who were casting to them were seasoned fisherman. I know it's not fishing, it's harvesting. I've always wondered how it would be to go in with my fly rod and try something tiny of if the bite is off by the time they get there.

Heading to Seward for 3 days of hard core fishing, I'll post a report after I return. Last week we boated 100 halibut in 2 days. The first day we picked up 30 in 6 hours and the second day we boated 70 in 4 hours. Nothing huge, the average we kept was 30lbs and the biggest was about 45. Hopefully we'll be able to pick up a few silvers.