Thread: Gulkana River - Oar Found

Default Gulkana River - Oar Found

Just finished up a week long fishing and floating adventure on the Gulkana River. Managed to recover a slightly bent Carlisle Oar jammed into some rocks below the canyon section. If you know someone who lost an oar, let me know and I'll try to get it back to the rightful owner. Thanks!

RN4CVR

a friend on mine saw that guy lose that carlisle oar and they didn't locate it, but he had a spare, luckily. The canyon rapids have been high and mighty for a couple weeks. I ran it last week and took river left next to the big boulders, but best route has been far right to set up for the last ledge drop. Rescued a couple of rafters and a packrafter from that hole...nasty.

many a gear has been tossed and sucked off rafts this year in that stretch.

good luck

larry

Yep - Some renters of mine lost two oars in that section... they got recirculated in a hole and had not used the oar tethers, therefore could be some that are found. Carlisle oars (pretty certain) blue 9' w/ red taping or paint striping. Blades will say ARC on them. As I hear, they all could not get out of the hole yet the raft did not flip. They all hopped out of the boat and made the shore to self-reliant recover the boat still in hole a 1/2 hour later using the throw bag as a lucky lasso over the oar tower/locks. Fortunately... a two identical boat rental trip, and one made it through ok (so a couple same spare oars --- 1 from 1 and 1 from the other saved the day), no one injured, and all but two oars and two 1.5" Cam-straps lost.

Another party just before them also flipped.... talk of more tips and flips on the rapids section w/ the higher waters ... all be careful... water has a ton of power in a scenario like this. Be aware and prepared... it is not an if --- it's a when!

that's me!!!!!! please PM me and we can figure out a game plan to return it. I had some issues with the falls a week ago and lsot 2 oars

Wow, did not realize that river was so good at eating oars! I should have been more descriptive in my original post, but the oar was found maybe 4 miles below the canyon in the rapids section. It was sticking almost straight up mid-river. My best guess is the downstream blade got hung in the rocks and violently popped out of the oar lock.

I think this oar is a custom length, it's longer than my 9' Carlisles. Doesn't look like an ARC, or ARK oar for that matter. If this still sounds like your oar Redneck Dr, let me know. Just trying to find the rightful owner.

RN4CVR

Our group lost 2 oars at the canyon on the 23rd. We found one later jammed into some logs but never saw the other. Blue shaft carlisle with new yellow blade, 8 footer I think. The Gulkana seems to be hungry for oars this year. Came back from another trip last night and the river is still nice and high

No one runs tethers? Cheap insurance

Ran it on the 28th. We didn't have any problems but it was high and fast. The group ahead of us with the rental boats took a good time in the Maytag! They got recirced in the last drop for a while and broke an oar over the tube when it came out of the locks. They had bounced off the river right hand wall prior to the drop and scrubbed all their speed. Dropped in slow and sideways. Still unsure how they managed to not flip, they took a pretty good ride. After awhile they got spit out and hung up on a rock downriver. They were pulled into the shore by bystanders.

RN4CVR,

the oar I was using has a blue shaft (2 piece ) with a black blade. it is a carlisle. The oar locks are black as well and say "oar right" I rented it from ARC. We lost both oars going down the falls so fast it made my head spin, when we were trapped in the back eddie at the base of the falls, but we are all OK. we could have lost a lot more gear, though! PM me if that sounds like the right oar. Brian Richardson from ARC posted a good description, too, and they are ultimately his, since I rented it all for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Richardson View Post
    Yep - Some renters of mine lost two oars in that section... they got recirculated in a hole and had not used the oar tethers, therefore could be some that are found. Carlisle oars (pretty certain) blue 9' w/ red taping or paint striping. Blades will say ARC on them. As I hear, they all could not get out of the hole yet the raft did not flip. They all hopped out of the boat and made the shore to self-reliant recover the boat still in hole a 1/2 hour later using the throw bag as a lucky lasso over the oar tower/locks. Fortunately... a two identical boat rental trip, and one made it through ok (so a couple same spare oars --- 1 from 1 and 1 from the other saved the day), no one injured, and all but two oars and two 1.5" Cam-straps lost.

Another party just before them also flipped.... talk of more tips and flips on the rapids section w/ the higher waters ... all be careful... water has a ton of power in a scenario like this. Be aware and prepared... it is not an if --- it's a when!
    Brian, I recovered one of those oars. I was on the river the same time as Larry. Matter of fact, Larry, we were the group that passed you at Potty Island. Anyhow, to make a long story short, I met the group that lost the two oars. Then, a day later, my family and I were walking down the Canyon lake trail and spotted one of the oars in the rapids. I waded out to the oar and pulled it out of the river. It was blue and black with some red spray paint on the shaft and it said ARC on paddle. Then I spotted the other oar and it was in a place that I couldn't get out to with my waders. So we planned on floating down to it the next day when we left the Canyon. The next day we floated by where I spotted the other oar, and it was gone. I assumed someone else must have grabbed it. Anyhow, I brought the other oar with me. About an hour or two later down from the Canyon rapids, I ran into a group of about 7-8 people. 3 of the people apparently just lost there entire raft and ALL there gear. The other 4-5 guys were assisting them and were going to give them a ride down the river to find their stuff. The 3 that lost their raft and gear were quite shook up. I told them I found the oar, but that it belonged to someone else, but I told them they could use the oar temporarily as long as they promised to turn the oar in to the BLM at Sourdough when they were all done. They agreed to turn in the oar in to the BLM when they were all done. We proceeded down the river. A couple river miles later, we spotted their raft tied up on a river bar, and somebody put their tent up (although we didn't know it at the time). Then, we camped at the Stickwan bar that evening. A couple hours later, the folks who lost their raft and their gear floated by us. They said "Thank you guys so much for lending us the oar, it was a lifesaver, because when we found our raft, we only had one oar". So anyhow, I assumed they would do the honest thing and turn in the oar when they were all done. Brian, if I were you, I would call the BLM first and see if anyone turned in an oar with ARC on it. If they never received it, I would check with the BLM at Paxson Lake and check the registration to see who floated between the dates of June 20th and June 24. They must have started sometime between these dates, because we left on the 20th and they came after us, and we left the Canyon on the 25th, and they left the Canyon I believe the day before we did (24th). It was a party of three people, one guy about thirty years old, and two ladies who were probably in their sixties.

We went through the canyon late in the day on the 26th and our 3 rafts made it through unscathed. Some in our group got to watch a 14' raft get sideways and take a beating in the last drop, but somehow managed to stay upright. They came out of there extremely happy not to have taken a swim.

Sorry Redneck Dr, but it sounds like we found a different oar. I know your pain. I had to drop some $$$ on replacement oars from a rental several years ago. Sure hurts breaking out the wallet to fund a new set for the rental fleet. The good news is everyone made it through safely, and hopefully the info from Bushwack Jack above will help you get your gear back. Good luck.