Thread: ID these birds?

Default ID these birds?

Happened upon these hungry mouths a few days ago nestled on a forested cliff in a south central river canyon.

We were quick about it as we didn't want to peeve momma too much, who we flushed from the nest unintentionally.

Pretty poor light so we couldn't get much of an ID on her, she was probaby 6" or so, with no obvious markings in the poor light. Have thought about going back with binos but haven't.

Anybody have any ID leads? I've got a few theories but don't want to bias any responses.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341166670.934580.jpg

View of the nesting site, the farthest left of the three dark spots all in a line.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341166770.768639.jpg

Rancid Crabtree refered to them as your little brown spotted type bird.I think the Latin word would be something like thrush as a guess
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Since they are nested in a cliff, I would venture to guess Cliff Swallows?

Ah, I miss old Rancid Crabtree. He never comes over for dinner anymore.

Could be thrushes, definitely not swallows, which are all over the Mat river silt bluffs but this was a very different style of nest and bird.

Still meaning to head back and photo the mom but too many things to do!

American Dipper?
    Go Big Red!

Not a Dipper. Looks like a thrush. Could be a Robin.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Not a Dipper. Looks like a thrush. Could be a Robin.

I thought a Robin, but I didn't think they nested in places like that...?

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    I thought a Robin, but I didn't think they nested in places like that...?
    I think Robins will nest about anywhere that provides some modest amount of overhead shelter and a more or less flat or cupped area to accommodate their nest; from the crotch of a tree limb to on top of a beam in a barn or under an eave, to a place as depicted. I think the most likely reason we don't often see them in rocky crevices is simply that not many people spend much time scrutinizing such places... Certainly looks like a Robin nest, and the chicks look to me like Robins or some similar thrush. But I am no expert by any means.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Default ID these birds?

Glad this thread got some feedback but it definitely isn't a robin's nest though I agree that robins do nest near wooded cliffs The parent i saw briefly had a much more fluttery flight habit and was a bit smaller, definitely a smaller wingspan. And seemed a fairly solid gray/brown color though in the low light that observation is probably worthless. Clearly wasn't a robin body type though.

I have tended to think some sort of thrush or sparrow probably but they had moved camp by the time I returned maybe two weeks later so never got another look at the adult or chicks.

I'll check back next spring and maybe we can wrap up this mystery. Till then let the speculation continue

Thanks for the feedback even if y'all aren't experts.

And still waiting for the expert to come out of the woodwork...

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I think Robins will nest about anywhere that provides some modest amount of overhead shelter and a more or less flat or cupped area to accommodate their nest; from the crotch of a tree limb to on top of a beam in a barn or under an eave, to a place as depicted. I think the most likely reason we don't often see them in rocky crevices is simply that not many people spend much time scrutinizing such places... Certainly looks like a Robin nest, and the chicks look to me like Robins or some similar thrush. But I am no expert by any means.

Touché. I'd be guilty of not spending time near rocky crevices. I'd just never seen them in such places and most of the places I have seen them were similarly different from rocky cliffs. That being said, I'd agree that if not a robin, some type of sparrow.