Thread: Just moved to North Pole.

Default Just moved to North Pole.

Hello all,

Found this site yesterday and am glad that I did. I've had a chance to fish the upper Chena twice in the short time that I've been here and pulled over to watch Grayling rise on Badger Slough yesterday, which is right next to my new house... soon to be house that is. My wife and I are living in our camper until the new place closes, which is going to allow for some more camping and fishing!

Hope to get to know a few of you as time goes on. My wife and I moved up from Montana and I was starting to get stressed out that their would be no trout to catch, but am stoked the Grayling fishing is so good.

Since coming up we've fished a few lakes down the Richardson, caught Sockeye on the Klutina, fished the salt with no success (was hoping for early pinks), and caught some nice trout on the Russian while dodging a sow with cubs. I love it here!

-J

Oh, I should #mention a bit of what was working on the upper Chena. Well, it appears that most everything works this time of year, at least in the last week. I started with nymphs... size 16 prince, some little mayfly nymphs I tie up that imitate Baetis and was getting some fish, but it was a little slow. Then I saw a fish rise, just one, but figured I should try fishing dry flies. Started with an Adams, # 14 I believe, which worked. That fly was sinking after a few fish and I had no floatant so tried a smaller Stimulator, which worked, and then that fly started to sink. So I tied on a bright yellow and tan, entirely foam hopper just to see what would happen... was getting tired of flies going subsurface on me... well that worked, too.

These fish appear to love dry flies, which is fine by me since Montana streams tend to be a nymphing game until decent hatches start. I like nymphing just fine and spend most of my fishing time with double nymphs (not here apparently) and shot. I'll gladly catch these beautiful fish on dries all day long!

Welcome to the hood! Fishing is pretty good in our neck of the woods.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

The grayling absolutely love the dry flies. I would pick up some mosquitoes as well, they usually tear them up!

Welcome to the forums, and North Pole. I live right down the street from you. I may have seen you at the slough. I go there to catch a few grayling quite a bit.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    Welcome to the forums, and North Pole. I live right down the street from you. I may have seen you at the slough. I go there to catch a few grayling quite a bit.
    You wouldn't happen to be the guy from Bozeman I was talking with would you? Anyhow, that looks like a pretty nice creek or slough. Do you know if it's spring fed? It sure looks like it with all of the aquatic plant growth and clarity of water.

-J

No, not from Bozeman. That water is clear though. It makes it deceiving how deep it actually is in places. I caught 17 grayling in about 45 minutes there the other day with a dry fly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was down there last week with some high school kids sifting through gunk from the bottom of the slough to see what was living there. We found lots and lots of caddis larvae (some of them quite big), mayfly larvae (#18 and smaller), and blood worms, and a few tiny leeches, chironomids, and miscellaneous mites and such. So plenty of subsurface options too, and a pretty good indicator of water quality.

A good choice for grayling on Piledriver Slough is a size 18 Griffith's Gnat! Believe me, it will work.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCann View Post
    A good choice for grayling on Piledriver Slough is a size 18 Griffith's Gnat! Believe me, it will work.

Jim
    They will hit just about any small fly you throw at them there!

FishAddictAK,

You are correct, of course, but sometimes they will focus on tiny diptera with fish swirling near the surface, taking something one doesn't see. No visible hatch, just swirls, and plenty of them. That's when I try a Griffith's Gnat, and over the decades it has worked wonders. Happy 4th of July! Good fishing to all.

Jim

I fished the slough yesterday and found the fish to be fairly tight lipped for the time being. I managed a few by skating a small dry... actually found that out by accident then continued to let the fly sink and skate it back to the surface.

I fished at multiple crossings and for the most part was getting smaller fish (compared to what I have been catching on the Chena), but saw a nice ~14" grayling working directly below one of the conduit's at the overpasses. I threw multiple dries at him, and a couple of different nymphs on 6X... nothing. As a last resort I drifted a sanjuan worm right next to his face. He turned, I saw the white of his mouth, waited a split second and had him hooked. A very satisfying catch!

The slough (does that mean creek up here in AK?) is pretty cool. It looks like it could be a lot of fun to fish with waders and could hold some real good fish.

-J

congrats on the fish, you need to fish the upper chena.

Quote Originally Posted by jdcollins86 View Post
    congrats on the fish, you need to fish the upper chena.
    I think he mentioned he had fished it a couple times previously. However, I would also try Chatanika and Delta Clearwater - both pretty sweet places to throw some flies.

Quote Originally Posted by FishAddictAK View Post
    I think he mentioned he had fished it a couple times previously. However, I would also try Chatanika and Delta Clearwater - both pretty sweet places to throw some flies.
    yep jumped in a little late... lol

Quote Originally Posted by FishAddictAK View Post
    Agreed, both are on my list to hit in the next week or two. I need to get a boat up here, it looks as if the possibility really open up. I think that will have to wait until next season though.

Have any of you fished for pike in the Minto Flats area? Never caught a pike on a fly, but am jonesing to!

-J

Quote Originally Posted by JeffSC View Post
    Agreed, both are on my list to hit in the next week or two. I need to get a boat up here, it looks as if the possibility really open up. I think that will have to wait until next season though.

Have any of you fished for pike in the Minto Flats area? Never caught a pike on a fly, but am jonesing to!

-J
    I lived in North Pole for a short time (year or so) and caught quite a few in the local ponds in the area. But I never got to make it up to Minto. If you want to hit it I would check out this link. Cheap price for some world class Pike fishing...

http://www.akpikefishing.com/index_files/Page325.htm

If you want to give me a call I am willing to share information about sport fishing the area. 388-4532 mobile
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    If you want to give me a call I am willing to share information about sport fishing the area. 388-4532 mobile
    Will do, thanks man!

-J

I'm just down the road too if you get too hard-up for a fishing partner... if that SC stands for South Carolina then we may have some common blood in our veins. Welcome to the greater Badger neighborhood!
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.