Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Real time lower Kenai report 7-1-12

Default Real time lower Kenai report 7-1-12

Morning report. Waters up, viz decent, 50-60 boats working the area above Pillars, action VERY slow.

Waiting to see what the tide brings up.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Was one of the 50 boats, didn't see, hear of, or hook anything, eagle rock report at takeout was zero landed as of noon

Some big kings passed the sonar station today- go get 'em!

Pillars 7-1-12.JPGHappened today at Pillars. Any story to go with it??Attachment 61158

Looks like someone forgot the boat drives on the trailer and not the other way around??

I heard it was Suzuki outboard owner trying to back the boat off the trailer with the safety chain still connected. Dang thing has so much thrust it drug the truck right off the ramp!

From what I heard, the lady backing the trailer in put the truck in neutral and it rolled back too far. The current caught it and started to sweep it away, where it got pinned under the platform

I bet a woman is involved or a real Greenhorn!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I heard it was Suzuki outboard owner trying to back the boat off the trailer with the safety chain still connected. Dang thing has so much thrust it drug the truck right off the ramp!
    lol whatever…………..tell the truth you know it was really a merc!

I can see 20 or so boats fishing sunken island right now from the house. One fish landed that I have seen. I wonder how long they will leave the river open. Its early but not looking good.

KLICKMAN

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by klickman View Post
    I can see 20 or so boats fishing sunken island right now from the house. One fish landed that I have seen. I wonder how long they will leave the river open. Its early but not looking good.

KLICKMAN
    Wanna bet whether it's closed before the Classic fishes this weekend . .

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    what do you really think the odds of this happening are? I am going with not likely, but you can tell me I am wrong if it happens.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    what do you really think the odds of this happening are? I am going with not likely, but you can tell me I am wrong if it happens.
    What do I think the odds are that the river will close before the Classic fishes?

About the same odds as a snowball has in h*ll . .

Time will tell.

What do I think the odds are that the river will close before the Classic fishes?

About the same odds as a snowball has in h*ll . .

Time will tell.
    Too much money in the Classic to close the river. Once again the fish get put on the back burner. I've seen one fish caught in the last two days, and right now all the boats I can see have all their rods out.

KLICKMAN

Why would it? That means it would have to close on July 4. Do you really think that ADFG has enough data to close the run by then with a gigantic elephant like the Upper Cook Inlet commercial fishery in the room just getting going?? C'mon man!!!!!!!!!!!!

they are forecasting 4 million reds this summer, no way they are going to shut the river down for kings. There is now way they can remove enough reds to not cause problems for the river. But if they did man that would be nuts!

Meeting the lower end Chinook goal may well come at the expense of blowing thru the top end of the sockeye goal. Whether or not that involves shutting down the in-river Chinook fishery and the ESSNs remains to be seen. If that should happen, it would be an unprecedented occurrence in the four decades I've been fishing the river.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

Until that axe actually falls, it would behoove participants in both the commercial and sport fisheries to minimize their Chinook impact. Short of a shutdown, the best way for the in-river folks to achieve that is by...

The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Until that axe actually falls, it would behoove participants in both the commercial and sport fisheries to minimize their Chinook impact. Short of a shutdown, the best way for the in-river folks to achieve that is by...

Oh, you mean achieve it by wearing out the fish to the point where it is too exhausted to spawn? Yeah, good idea
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Lightbulb Just say "No" . . .

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post

Doc, I just don't get it . . are we really, really concerned about the fish themselves, or are we merely concerned about our continued ability to abuse them for the sake of fun, thrills, and a rush?

“...because we’re nice to the fish, releasing them ‘unharmed,’ we can receive both psychic dispensation and blessing. Needless to say, if you think about this relationship carefully, it’s not a comforting one, for it is a game of dominance followed by a cathartic pardons, which, as a nonfishing friend remarked, ‘is one of the hallmarks of an abusive relationship.’” —Ted Kerasote

How can such "fishing" be anything other than a game of dominance? How can catch-and-release be anything other than an attempt to pardon such abuse?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast