Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mosquito Protection

Default Mosquito Protection

I just visited my remote property for the first time and of course was concerned about the Mosquitos.
    We brought every anti mosquito device that we could muster...Nets, Deet, a plastic bag with water
    and pennies and a repellent unit with a built in fan to disperse it.

Got off the plane and covered all bare skin with deet and turned on the fan repellent device ( made by OFF and clips
    on your belt) and for 6.5 hours being surrouned by Mosquitos many times in swarms we never got bitten.
    I was even wearing a short sleeve shirt.

Both products made by OFF delivered

What are your tried and true methods?

Quote Originally Posted by tabmarine View Post
    a plastic bag with water
    and pennies and a repellent unit with a built in fan to disperse it.
    I'm sorry, but you're gonna have to explain this one to me.......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I'm sorry, but you're gonna have to explain this one to me.......
    I was sure somebody would ask this......My girlfriend got it fom her sister. I have not tried this myself but apparently
    the sunlight reflecting off of the pennies in water screws up thier multi-tierd vision

I like to use the intimidation method. When a mosquito gets agressive and all up in your face, you growl menacingly and snap your jaws at it. The idea is that it will run away with it's tail between its legs and tell all its friends to keep away from you.

Either that or a bag full of pennies and water, LMAO!!!

Seriously though, watch how much of that deet you put on your skin, that crap is nasty. I've pretty much decided that Id rather get eaten alive than use that stuff on my skin.

I prefer a sock full of quarters. And I haven't put deet on myself in 5 plus years and I'm still here.

Get a bandana, spray it good with deet spray, and wear it on your head. Works well for me, and beats the price of the pre made pyrethrin-imbedded bandanas for $$$$. Easy for me to wear a full head scarf bandana cuz I'm female, but you guys can always tie it like a biker does.
    Next time, I am going to make some dangly ear rings made out of deet infused foam. Let me know if you like dangly earrings!

Quote Originally Posted by etdvm View Post
    Get a bandana, spray it good with deet spray, and wear it on your head. Works well for me, and beats the price of the pre made pyrethrin-imbedded bandanas for $$$$. Easy for me to wear a full head scarf bandana cuz I'm female, but you guys can always tie it like a biker does.
    Next time, I am going to make some dangly ear rings made out of deet infused foam. Let me know if you like dangly earrings!
    I like dangly earings on a female but not crazy about them for me. The bandana is a good Idea. I see you are just down river from me. My property is at Canyon Lake.

Another vote for the Thermacell....
    BK

I'd have to go with Thermacell also. Can't use deet due to exposure allergy, so I depend on the Thermacell and cutter adv.

I'd have to go with Thermacell also. Can't use deet due to exposure allergy, so I depend on the Thermacell and cutter adv.

Quote Originally Posted by tabmarine View Post
    I like dangly earings on a female but not crazy about them for me. The bandana is a good Idea. I see you are just down river from me. My property is at Canyon Lake.
    Well, if you see a woman out on the river system or in the bar with a bandana, stop and say hey. I'll buy you a drink - actually, I'll put it on Willy's tab, he won't know.

I'm completely unimpressed with Theracells and the little Off units. We use an automatic aerosol dispenser with food service grade insect spray indoors when the bugs are bad. Burgess propane fogger outdoors. NaturRepel or a deet product for the body. We don't prefer deet but will use it when the conditions warrant it. A mosquito net over the bed and a supply of electric tennis raquets scattered around the house help, too.

The mosquito magnets have lost their charm with me. Not worth the effort. Definitely not worth the money. The better solution is to cut the area around the cabin short. It eliminates mosquito habitat and let's the breeze blow through.

A hand vacuum cleaner for fly’s and mosquitoes around the windows. I also use a gas torch in the tent to killed white socks just before going to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    We use an automatic aerosol dispenser with food service grade insect spray indoors when the bugs are bad.
    Indoors???.......man you really do have a bad bug problem...
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Mosquitos come through gray water drains, idle stove pipes, and a few come through the door every time it gets opened. When the bugs are bad outside, they find their way inside, too. Everyone with a remote cabin knows what I'm talking about. Most of my river neighbors use indoor automatic bug sprayers.

Thank you Mr. Pid.
    I never thought of the stovepipe. They are getting in somehow, despite checking (almost) all possibilities.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Mr. Pid, Where do you get the aerosol spray cans that you use? Thanks

I got the dispenser and a case of spray cans from ALSCO on Fireweed @ Arctic but it's been a couple of years. A friend worked there and had it available. I've looked for the same brand, CH, and haven't found it on line. I have found an equal product. The formula is the same, USDA approved for commercial food handling facilities, so I assume it's safer than DDT. :-) It works well. The machine shoots a short spray every 15 or 20 minutes. Uses two D cell batteries that last about 2 years. Same machine you see occasionally in public restrooms for spraying air freshener.

http://www.country-vet.com/prod_details.aspx?prod_id=97

http://www.country-vet.com/prod_deta...id=19&cat_id=1

I have one like that came from Fish Creek Sales but mine takes c cell batteries. The cans are fairley expensive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast