Thread: What rope do you take?

Default What rope do you take?

We had the come-a-long thread and it got me to thinking about what ropes everyone takes on their hunts. I don't know of a hunter that doesn't have some 550 along, especially all of us military guys.

So, what ropes do you take and how much?

What are the pros and cons of what you have used?

Any stories that saved your bacon or lack of rope cost you?

Let the fun begin
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Have not had enough anchor rope before, but usually I have too much coiled up in the bow.

I bring rope for the come-along (50ft or so), anchor rope (depends on were I am going) and 550 (100 ft or so). It is not rope, but I bring webbing for attaching to stuff as an anchor for the come along. I have also brought some 5mm climbing rope to use as a prusik with the come along. Old 5mm rope makes great bear hanging rope with caribeners for a 3 to 1 pulley system.

I have about 20 ft of 550 in my pack and use it for all sorts of stuff. This spring I used it to hang quarters in a tree while we went back for the packs. A couple of years ago I used the 550 to replace a gun sling by weaving 3 strands together. I replaced the sling and now use the braided rope for my moose call.

I just bring along 20-50 feet of 550 cord and hopefully that is all I will ever need. If I am going on a trip that I think will involve me hanging a bunch of stuff or tarps I will bring the entire spool of 550 as well as some bungee cords.

3/16" x 100' of Amsteel rope. 5,000 lb. breaking strength, almost no stretch and it floats on water. A little expensive, but nothing else comes close.

I just won 30ft of this rope but havent used it yet but seems interesting and I will give it a try.
    http://www.all-about-moose.com/runlock-rope.html

Quote Originally Posted by Grayling Slayer View Post
    3/16" x 100' of Amsteel rope. 5,000 lb. breaking strength, almost no stretch and it floats on water. A little expensive, but nothing else comes close.
    +1 on Amsteel!! I use 7/64" and have never broken it. The small diameter sometimes cuts into thing like meat and your hands but it is great stuff. I leave the tie out ropes on tarps, tents and hammocks but still bring 100' roll of 550. Normal tie down rope and bungies in the boat, canoe or 4 wheeler. Can't have too much.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I run the amsteel rope as well though not sure what size honestly. Picked it up with a rope-a-long at AIH a few years ago. It is mostly a boat or heavy ATV camping addition for me as well as occasionally guiding trees away from structures around the house. All the light backcountry stuff gets 50' of real 550 paracord. Not the braided knockoff junk but the real deal with a woven sleeve and individual twisted strands inside. The real stuff can be stripped down into different diameter strands for all types of uses from sewing to cleaning rifles barrels or fishing for grayling!

Another vote for Amsteel Blue. I had a 22' SeaArk Predator overloaded stuck high and dry on a silt bar. I strapped my capstan winch to a tree and hooked up my 3/8" blue rope. The other guys thought I was nuts and started getting PO'd at me because of having such a small rope; they said that little rope won't last 10 seconds. It pulled it out with no problem (although my winch was smoking).
    "We're all here cuz we're not all there"

Extra rolls of 3/16 cable for my hoist / pulling machine. 5/50 cord in 25 to 30 foot sections. 100 ft. of 1/2 rope. 50 feet of cable on my hoist / puller.

Note: I like to bring my moose home whole. Therefore, I need a little extra to get it to my atv, truck, trailer, boat, whatever using that day to move meat to the house.

Chris