Thread: Price's Corner - July's Article

Default Price's Corner - July's Article

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Good read. My FIL bought a 30-30 from a shop in Anchorage a few years before he passed away. He was so excited he was about to start dancing. He got it for $100.00. That fall he dropped a moose standing on the 4-foot wide shoreline of a Lower Kuskokwim island with a neck shot from a moving boat. They'll do the job.

You want to know frustrating? Try forgetting the battery to your chronograph after you've waited until noon for the sun to come up (it was winter), driven 30 minutes out on the frozen tundra, spent another 20 minutes getting everything set up just right, then opening the chronograph box. Been there done that.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I got my 10yo shooting my old 30-30 this year. There is just something special about an old lever gun! I had a friend down in Texas that would hunt the river bottoms and was always looking for a rifle that would drop deer in their tracks since any that left the river bed would be on private property. After trying several cartridges with poor results he ended up out there with a 30-30 scouting and had a chance opportunity to shoot a deer. It dropped in its tracks as did quite a few subsequent ones over the next several years. He said he never had a deer run more than 4"-50 yards with it and most didn't make it 30 feet!

Yes, when I was 25yrs old I did all my hunting of deer and hogs that year with my Winchester 30-30. When I think back to those days, you know, the deer went down and the hogs died and I never had to go try and find what I shot with that 30-30. Interesting when I remember those days, especially since I went from there to the big magnums and now I find my self mainly using standard cartridges again. Go figure?
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS