Thread: Mod 70 Classic improvements ?

Default Mod 70 Classic improvements ?

I just acquired a new to me Model 70 Classic in 300 RUM.I was looking for a lighter magnum,rifle weight that is(than my 338 EDGE) for longer range in the open country I hunt.

This being my first ever M70,I have a few questions:

Trigger isn't that great.Can it be adjusted,or junk it and go aftermarket ?

Synthetic stock seems like tupperware,high quality lightweight replacement ? I can afford a McM or Manners,but,wait time from either is about 4 months.I want to hunt the rifle late Aug-Sept and want plenty of trigger time before I go.

Scope bases.The previous owner put the most godawful,ill fitting bases I've ever seen on this rifle receiver and may not even be for this action !! After owning Rem 700's for decades,I'm used to the one pc picattiney rail.The M70 action is different.Do most M70 owners use a 1pc or 2pc base,and,who makes the best quality out there ?

Other than the above issues,this seems like a pretty decent rifle.If anyone has any suggestions for improving it further,I'm all ears.

Triggers can generally be cleaned up to break around 3.5lbs.
    The factory handle is indeed garbage, but some guns shoot okay in them. If you are capable of fitting and finishing a stock you might call Bansners Hightech, they have been running less than a month wait for blanks. They are excellent stocks, I prefer them over McM, but they aren't drop ins and will need sanded and painted after fitting and bedding.
    As for mounts I would say most M70 users stick with two piece bases and I would recommend any of Talley's offerings especially the Lightweight one piece, if you don't have backup irons.

No BUIS on this one.From what I've heard,the .375 and RUM are an Express action and screw spacing is supposed to be a little different than the standard LA M70 ?

When I change the stock,it would be nice to upgrade the bottom metal as well at the same time which probably will require some inletting as well.

SANDRAT - MPI stocks in Portland OR is another high quality lightweight stock, I own several and they are of the highest quality - I have a NIB set of Talleys that I would let you have for $25 in the mail (they sent them as a mistake for my Kimber and I just kept them) FYI, I use paypal if you do

I'd have the trigger adjusted and swap out the stock for a McMillan. Mine sits in a McMillan edge stock and has a 26" pacnor barrel.

My favorite rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I'd have the trigger adjusted and swap out the stock for a McMillan. Mine sits in a McMillan edge stock and has a 26" pacnor barrel.

My favorite rifle.
    Who did the barrel for you ? Mine will stay a 300 RUM for this season as I've done several custom rifles,and they don't get done overnight

Nice rifle Matt

We just got in one of the Alaskans with the laminated stock and flip up rear sight on the pre 64 style boss.

If ever there was a rifle to make me cheat on a Blaser, thats it

I have been shooting those Winchester "Classics" since they first came out I think it is the best Mod. 70 since the Pre-64 era. I would use either the Talley or Warren 2 piece bases as they leave better access to the magazine and usually weigh less then any type of bridge mount. A gunsmith set our triggers at a crisp 3 lbs. which is a good weight for a big game hunting trigger. That exposed Mod. 70 trigger is reliable, rugged and simple. I stay away from enclosed triggers that trap dirt crud and have tiny parts. I replace the extractor and magazine follower with one made from spring steel from Williams Gunsight company. Save the factory ones for spares. The bolt is not one piece like the old Pre-64's are. If you look closely you can see a "collar around the bolt body where the handle is attached. Any competent smith can pin it down, which I believe is a good idea. If you do a chamber load and feel some resistance from that big claw extractor jumping the case head a smith can fix that also. The bolts cocking cam area and the action are fairly simple to smooth up. I did my own and it is very smooth and slick. I have had a Basners stock for many years on my customized Mod. 70 "Classic" .338 and it has proven to be a durable and light weight stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    We just got in one of the Alaskans with the laminated stock and flip up rear sight on the pre 64 style boss.

If ever there was a rifle to make me cheat on a Blaser, thats it
    Too bad the rifle weighs 9 lbs bare! It would work great for the atv hunters.

I forgot to mention I contacted Ted Blackburn years ago and got one of his one piece drop bottom metal trigger guard/floor plate assemblies, it llows 4 rounds in the magazine of my .338 Mod. 70. Swift bullet company owns it now. I think a similar set up from Sunny Hill is lighter and costs more. Williams Gun Site company may make one also.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Too bad the rifle weighs 9 lbs bare! It would work great for the atv hunters.
    Or guys that are in shape

a "guy" can be in the best shape in the world but to no avail IF the knees are worn out ..... case in point ........ lightweight rifles are the "CHIT"