Thread: Snow river info

Default Snow river info

Anyone floated the snow river near Seward? Looking to float it in July any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

How are you going to go upstream to float, is there a trail access? Always wanted to try and go up it with a small jet boat like a Jet Ranger.

Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    How are you going to go upstream to float, is there a trail access? Always wanted to try and go up it with a small jet boat like a Jet Ranger.
    There is an access point where an old road goes down to a closed bridge, can't miss it as you're driving down the highway towards Seward. Not sure on the mile marker but just be watching and you'll see it. I don't think there are any access points farther upstream, nothing road-based anyway. Never rafted the Snow River myself but would imagine it is a quick trip from the old bridge to Kenai Lake.

I've done it a couple times in a canoe with my boys. Put in at the pull out on the east side of the highway @ about mile 14. Pretty quick trip it's only a few miles. Once while canoeing down a few years ago, we saw a steering wheel sticking out of the water, went back the next day and saw it was a river skiff with a 50 hp outboard. We got it out of the water and floating then took it down to the lake.We later reunited it with it's owner. Turns out the owner took his father who was in his eighties up river to show him some property they own and overturned the boat. They had to be rescued by troopers. That's the only boat I've ever seen on/in the river in 20 years

Thanks for the input. Looking at it on the map didn't seem to be any real close access points much farther up river and I am planning on doing this on the way back from a weekend at Seward so a short float works.

Thanks,

Steve