Thread: Honda Kicker Question

Default Honda Kicker Question

Have any of you taken the lower unit off of a Honda kicker? I need to replace my impeller. I have removed the five bolts that hold it on and I have disconected the shift rod. But, the lower unit still seems tightly connected.

Any advice?

tap it with a rubber mallet or a 2x4 and a hammer, it should come off with a little influence. I had a honda 9.9 and I had to change the impeller with less than an hour on it, the impeller blades were ripped clean off. I think honda has crappy impellers.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Changed mine at 400 hours and it looked new. Make sure you have ALL if the bolts and nut off of the lower then hit with the palm of your hand or lightly with a rubber mallet.

I know on the 25hp Honda you end up taking 6 bolts: 2 on each side just below the cavitation plat rim, 1 for the compensator plate above the prop, and the bolt in side the hole once you remove that plate. But also on the 25hp you can't disconnect the shift rod until after you lower the unit slightly, so it may be diffrent. Good luck!

by impeller do you mean the water pump impeller? once you get everything separated make sure that when you are putting everything back together that you don't reverse the impeller and make sure the gasket is seated correctly. if you are having trouble taking it apart, trust me, you are going to have even more trouble getting it all back together correctly. just take your time and don't force anything too roughly, that is some frustrating stuff if you are new at it.

and if you don't see your stream almost immediately when you get the engine going in the water, just admit defeat and take it home and start all over again. no point in ruining your engine.

I got it. I tapped it with a chunk of wood to get it off. I sure hope the rest goes OK.