Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is hitting the water for the 4th of July?

Default Who is hitting the water for the 4th of July?

I am going to PWS on the 2nd, will be back in Whittier on the 4th for a few hours and then back out until the 7th, weather permitting of course.

Probably spend the 2-3-and AM of the 4th in Blackstone bay shrimping and maybe try some trolling for whatever will bite. The second half of the trip is sans kids and dog so will probably head out toward the Knight Island area looking for a some salmon to catch or some halibut/ling/rock fish action.

Anyone else have plans to be out there? If you see a white and blue Kingfisher with a raft on top give a wave or call on the radio... Stor Fisk.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Looks like I will miss you by a day. Brother in law and I are heading to Whittier tomorrow. Wish I could spend more than one day, but he has to fly out monday afternoon. Have fun out there
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Yep. We are headed out late on Tuesday for a few days. Headed East towards Valdez and explore some of that area. Looks like it's going to be pretty decent out there.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Been working my butt off for two days trying to get my boat ready for its first voyage. Going to head towards Valdez if I ever finish everything in good working order. Got a good dingy, but the full up air port leaks, gotta figure that out and then Of course need to figure out the head, water tank, water heater and the grey water system. Still don't had a kicker either, so I pray to god everything works well. Planing on finding a fill up cap for the dingy tomorrow at sportsmans. Donno where else to look here in the valley.

I will be going out of Whittier tomorrow (Sunday), overnight at Lower Passage or Zaikof Bay, heading out to Seal Rocks if weather permits, hang out by LaTouche and hit Main Bay for some reds and come back Tuesday eve. Provided that everything works unlike the last 2 trips. This will be the longest trip by far on this new boat so I will appreciate any company out there. I'll look out for forum members on the water but if you are near, feel free to give me a shout. Lani Kai, monitoring 16, 72 and 69.

Mark

I plan on heading to Whittier in about 2 hours, the forecast looks great. We are going to shrimp the first couple of days then head south for some ling and halibut fishing. If all goes well I plan on being out until the 7th. My boat is a 24ft Almar sounder and her name is "Else".

I am headed out of Whittier on the 4th for just the day, I was going to take th3e older son and his gf out a few weekends ago but the day he had off was kinda snotty, So now it is this wednesday
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Spotted JR2 at the gas pumps at Freddie's. Nice boat. Hope to see you out there tomorrow sometime.

Rob
    Knot Too Shabby.
    MMSI# 338232859

Updated forecast says 6 foot for PWS on Thursday. How does the weather know when there is a holiday??

Was planning on going out the 4th through the 8th, but with the marine forecast being kinda crappy, I'm thinking we'll be putting off our departure a day or two. Kinda sucks as this is the first time this summer I'm able to take the boat out and I've been looking forward to a long relaxing trip.

Oh well, better to be on shore wishing you were on the water, then on the water praying you'll make it to shore.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Heading out in a few hours. Hope to get anchored up for a few days in a cove and stay out of the bad weather.
    MMSI# 338232859

Well it did get snotty out there, we came back on the 4th to escape having to hole up for 3-4 days in a cove. Made it to the Northern end of Knight Island on the 3rd and within 40 minutes of getting there we decided it was time to run for cover. Wind built fast and the waves got big. Ran to Culross and spent the night in a cove eating oysters from the fine folks at Perry Island. The AM for the fourth we had to go to Whittier as we were going to leave our boys with some friends for a few days but the weather was so bad we just came home. Not a great trip and had to cut it short. Maybe next time will be better.

I could not believe all the guys launching on the afternoon of the 4th... the forecast was for 5 footers and I told several of them that the forecast was right on target.. they just shrugged and went out. Hope no one got in trouble out there.

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Happy to hear you made it back safe and sound and enjoyed the oysters.

Yep. We had the same weather on the 3rd. Ran way out east for the night and came back last night in some sloppy stuff before it got really bad. I couldn't believe all the boats heading out. I hope everyone makes it back safe.
    MMSI# 338232859

We decided to put off our trip until after this storm. Hopefully we can get out tomorrow or Saturday for a long weekend. Lets just hope this time the rain will quite...although it's looking pretty wet.

Glad you guys made it back safe and sound.

I came out of the tunnel when robbentler was waiting to go in. We were very lucky in that the seas held for our 4 day tour. Plain flat glass for every day except coming out on July 3 afternoon and then it was only 2's.

We got 1 rockfish (only fished about 10 minutes for them), lots of glacial ice, 6 doz oysters, and 40 reds.

Glad you guys got plenty of fish. The weather picked up a little past Culross towards Naked. Solid 4's out there. I have never seen that much glacier ice out there. We found one huge piece that had about a football field sized piece just under the water floating around.

Patrick, Hope you and your family have a really nice trip out there. I wished we would have just anchored up where we were for a couple more days. But thought what if the weather sticks around longer than forecasted. Oh well. That's PWS right?

MMSI# 338232859

I saw that same ice berg or one like it, I thought from a distance that it was a boat, then I got closer and said... wow that is huge. The one I saw was between the Northern end of Knight Island and my run to Culross to hide.

This one was near Axel Island NW of Naked. I did hear there were several other big ones coming from the Glacier Island area.
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by robbentler View Post
    Glad you guys got plenty of fish. The weather picked up a little past Culross towards Naked. Solid 4's out there. I have never seen that much glacier ice out there. We found one huge piece that had about a football field sized piece just under the water floating around.

Patrick, Hope you and your family have a really nice trip out there. I wished we would have just anchored up where we were for a couple more days. But thought what if the weather sticks around longer than forecasted. Oh well. That's PWS right?

Holy cow that's a big piece of ice. I've never seen anything close to that in PWS. Good to know I should be keeping an eye our for them, particularly when running in low light or fog. I try to not to run in that stuff since I don't have radar. But I've been stuck in it a couple times and I'd sure hate to run into something like that.

Robbentler, we didn't make it out as planned due to the weather. Now it looks like we're delayed again until at least tomorow if not Sunday or Monday. I just can't seem to catch a break in the weather. We have family coming in town Wednesday to see they're new grandson so if I don't get out Monday it looks like I'll be waiting another couple weeks. Did you guys have any luck fishing or shrimping. Hopefully we'll have the chance to catch up with you guys sometime this summer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast