Thread: New to AK trout flyfishing

Default New to AK trout flyfishing

Hello everyone! As the title says, I'm very new to flyfishing for trout up here. I'd appreciate any advice on where to go, what patterns to try etc. I'm out of Wasilla so anything within a few hours would be great! I went with a buddy to the Little Susitna this morning and didn't scare up a single fish. I don't have a boat or pontoon etc yet so I will be going on foot for the foreseeable future. Any help and advice would be VERY greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Pretty much all the rivers have trout in them, but know the regs and eos for the section of river you're on. Willow and Montana are good bets, but watch the restrictions. KB lakes are good as well. You can rent a boat at Kepler, if you want.

You don't have pm privileges as of this moment, so don't think nobody wants to offer help.

Any of the streams north of you have trout in them. Willow, Little Willow, Sheep, Montana. The usual patterns work. Bugs and Beads possibly. I remember catching a lot on dries on sunny days also. Blue Duns in particular. Good Luck!

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by sibir View Post
    Pretty much all the rivers have trout in them, but know the regs and eos for the section of river you're on. Willow and Montana are good bets, but watch the restrictions. KB lakes are good as well. You can rent a boat at Kepler, if you want.

You don't have pm privileges as of this moment, so don't think nobody wants to offer help.
    Thanks for the advice, gonna try the lakes and possibly some of the streams/rivers this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    Any of the streams north of you have trout in them. Willow, Little Willow, Sheep, Montana. The usual patterns work. Bugs and Beads possibly. I remember catching a lot on dries on sunny days also. Blue Duns in particular. Good Luck!

Fish On!
    Thanks for the info! Going to try one of the rivers this weekend (probably Willow). Probably will try streamers, woolly buggers to start and go from there.

good luck this weekend, the first rainbow i ever caught was on Montana ck on a wooly bugger

Caught my first two river rainbows on fly last night up on Willow! Thanks for the advice everyone! Hopefully the Silvers show up soon... and then it's on like Donkey Kong

Congrats on the 'bows! The silvers, pinks, and chum should all be here soon so get ready for a workout on the flyrod.

Quote Originally Posted by sibir View Post
    Congrats on the 'bows! The silvers, pinks, and chum should all be here soon so get ready for a workout on the flyrod.
    Thanks! My 7wt is coiled and ready to strike!

Hoping I can limit out on Silvers early on Saturday and Sunday this weekend so I can put some more time in chasing bows! Sibir you weren't kidding about the KB lake system... I went last week one evening and caught more fish than I could count. Nothing real big but once I figured out what pattern they were taking it was non stop action! Going to fish beads for the first time this weekend on Willow if all works out well. How's everyone else's fishing been lately? Hopefully you're all slaying them!