Thread: Identify this creature...

Default Identify this creature...

My sister took these pictures while anchored in a bay in PWS last week. I wasn't along on the trip, but she tells me that she saw multiple of these and that they ranged in size from 1.5-3' long. I know what it is via a discussion my sister had with a F&G biologist, but I'm curious if anyone else has ever seen these critters.

C'mon homerdave, don't let me down.

I've seen them every time I get off the boat in PWS. Usually see the on shoreline at a low or outgoing tide. Never seen one swimming out in the open though
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

Question The creature . . .

Here you go, Brian . . another view of the same criiter if I'm not mistaken . . . a biologist told me what they are . .

Attachment 61124

Our son took the photo . . Homer or Ninilchik I think . .

Brian, not sure of the spelling but they are wood boring marine worms, torridos.

Teredo.....
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Nasty creatures, here's an example of what they do to piers/driftwood they attach themselves to... (or boats for that matter, yikes)

wood worm.jpg

Correct on the creature! We see tons of them here, they come out in the evening typically and swim around the harbor. Lots of folks take beach logs and mill them up with the worm holes and it makes excellent siding for house interiors. Gross little buggers.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

All my books are at the office for the summer, but iiirc those are either annelid or nereid worms.
    brown hoochie just off the boottom over mud or sand, especially in the spring....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    All my books are at the office for the summer, but iiirc those are either annelid or nereid worms.
    brown hoochie just off the boottom over mud or sand, especially in the spring....
    Agree; my vote would be nereid worm, mostly called pile worms, and sometimes sandworms, around here (San Francisco). Pieces of them make good bait for perch flounder, and lots of other inshore fish. They are an essential part of the "tube and worm" rig used for striped bass on the east coast. I think they aren't wood borers like the teredo, but will live in the holes the teredo makes.

Big_E

They are "Boone & Crocket record book "Ice Worms".

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    They are "Boone & Crocket record book "Ice Worms".
    You were not supposed to spill those beans until after the new TV reality show was announced.

Just saw the movie Prometheus. Looks real similar to the things that jump on you and go down your throat.
    Don't get too close.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    Correct on the creature! We see tons of them here, they come out in the evening typically and swim around the harbor. Lots of folks take beach logs and mill them up with the worm holes and it makes excellent siding for house interiors. Gross little buggers.
    You have of know of any pictures of this? Would love to see what that looks like.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    So you have or know of any pictures of this? Would love to see what that looks like.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Hey--that's my tapeworm! I wondered where he ran off to. Can I have him back, please. I feel so empty without him...

It's a big polychete (sp?) worm. I think most people hit it right with nereid. To really get specific you have to look at their mouths. We used to see a lot of those when anchored up with the deck lights on. They're related to pretty much any of the worms you see in the salt. Sand worms, even tube worms are part of the group of worms called polychetes (sp?).
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.