Thread: ATV Miles Question

Default ATV Miles Question

How many miles on an ATV would you consider to be high milage 1000? 2000? More? Thanks, Chuck

It really depends on how it was cared for but to me 3-4k is getting up there. When shopping used there are generally plenty of 750-1500 mile machines available because many people buy them and never really go riding.

I believe with ATVs the question is more about riding style, treatment and maintenance than mileage.

Mine has 325 mi, looks and rides as new...a buddy of mine has one with similar mileage and age that's been hydrolocked twice and rolled end over once. I ride like a man that's my actual age+20 yrs....he rides like his age-20yrs and the machines show it.

That same buddy's retired father has a mid 90's machine that's been easy ridden, extremely well maintained and has 2800 mi...I'd ride it anywhere.

The good news is that an ATV with 1000mi that still has an original body on a running chassis has probably been pretty well taken care of in the wider scheme of things.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Well we have a 2003 Yamaha grizzly that we bought with 1800 miles and it is still running strong without a hiccup at 2300 miles.

My 91' suzuki king quad the blue one. Has over 8000 miles on it and every fender has been broken and fixed or repaired many times. Rolled over, submerged and used hard for many years and I ride it to work almost every day we have good weather. AND IT IS NOT FOR SALE. They don't make them any tougher.

My own general rule is if it has more than 2500 miles on it, you would need to replace the bearings pretty soon. Other than that, if it runs and doesn't leave pieces along the trail it you can consider it. I am not aware of any wheeler that has "worn out" the engine (without external influences like repeated dunkings or total neglect) until you get up to 7K or more. And true, a lot depends on the riding style of the owner.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.