Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kenai re-opens tomorrow....

Default Kenai re-opens tomorrow....

.... below the Slikok Sanctuary, single hook, no bait.

On the eve of the re-opener, any prospective anglers should pause to reflect on what has already transpired to help protect the weakest early run (ER) of kings in the history of modern accounting.

Through June 28 the cumulative values for all four indices of king salmon abundance are continuing to track well below average. At this time, with approximately 95 percent of the run completed, all indices are projected to be well below their respective minimum inseason management objectives at the end of the run on June 30. Currently, the projections for all indices would be the lowest on record. The daily DIDSON sonar passage estimate of king salmon for June 27 was 99 fish. The cumulative DIDSON sonar passage estimate through June 24 is 2,973 king salmon. (ADFG, June 29 Kenai update)

Protections continue upriver from the Slikok Sanctuary for another two weeks to help maximize passage of tributary spawners. But it's clear that there will still be ER kings lingering in the mainstem from Sunken Island on down.

ADFG is re-opening a conservative fishery meant to target late run (LR) stock. The bait ban is in place as a precautionary measure to reduce exploitation on what they feel will probably be a poorly performing LR. "No bait" will also help to reduce the exploitation of any ER kings remaining in the lower river.

If you choose to participate, and ultimately find success, the option to legally bonk ANY king is yours. But BEFORE you hit the water tomorrow morning, make a conscious conservation-minded decision as to which fish are worth bonking and which are not.

Big red bricks and black-bellied fire-engines caught in the legal fishing zone on July 1 are not LR kings. They are the protected ER fish that have been staging in the lower river for the past few weeks. These are the fish that should emphatically NOT be targeted. If you should encounter one, PLEASE release it to spawn.

Make the conscious pledge for a bit of restraint now... BEFORE you set foot in the boat... so you won't be tempted later. In the heat of the moment, it's all too easy to hoist that big dark fish over the gunnel.... it happens so fast in all the excitement.... esp. when you've worked all day for that singular bite.

Now I know the naysayers will be on this post like flies on stink in about a nanosecond. They'll rebut the plea to release these fish with, "If you really care, then don't fish." That's certainly one option. But the reality is many WILL partake in this legal fishery, some with great anticipation to finally re-wet a line after weeks off the water. In this sobering season, participation almost implicitly carries with it a willful responsibility to minimize your impact on a failing ER stock. A lot has already been sacrificed to protect these fish, but as the fishery re-opens, sports can do a little more to help see these protections through to the end. Make the pledge to do your part.

May the force be with you.... and LET THERE BE KINGS!

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

the question i have is since we had such a late break up in the mountains and the waters in most streams was muddy and high are they still able to count every fish that swims by?. I know the king counts are low they have been for years now but i know that the deshka was unable to count fish for a few days maybe even 5 or 6 because of conditions. So lets hope a few more made it by then that. I wish they would just make it cnr only for rest of year then tourism wouldnt suffer and the mortality rate on cnr is only 8 - 15% so at least were preserving the run as much as we can without hurting local buisnesses.....

Quote Originally Posted by wsg7057 View Post
    the question i have is since we had such a late break up in the mountains and the waters in most streams was muddy and high are they still able to count every fish that swims by?. I know the king counts are low they have been for years now but i know that the deshka was unable to count fish for a few days maybe even 5 or 6 because of conditions. So lets hope a few more made it by then that. I wish they would just make it cnr only for rest of year then tourism wouldnt suffer and the mortality rate on cnr is only 8 - 15% so at least were preserving the run as much as we can without hurting local buisnesses.....
    yes they can count the fish regardless of water hight, think of it like a radar. It is way better then a weir system count. Water greatly effects weir counts, if the water is above the weir the fish have a chance to get by with out being counted.

Thumbs up You bet!

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    . . "If you really care, then don't fish." That's certainly one option. . .
    By golly, Doc, you're getting smarter as you get older . . .

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician;1140363[SIZE=3

Now I know the naysayers will be on this post like flies on stink in about a nanosecond.
    [/SIZE]
    Been a few hours and no naysayers! Perhaps reality has set it?

I'm celebrating the opener by participating in the Lingcod opener instead!!!

Thanks for the good words Doc!

Good post. I personally really wanted to fish Kenai kings last year but after seeing the pressure they were under decided that myself and everyone in my boat were gonna give them a break and hunt reds instead. This year will be no different.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Wink Resisting temptation . . .

I've made the pledge, Doc, gonna do my part . . the force is with me . . let there be KINGS!!!

Doin' my part tomorrow to celebrate the opener by having some folks over for grilled leg of lamb on the deck.

theres nothing like catching a king on the kenai

Great post Doc.

Good post Doc.....I however will be foregoing this year's opener. Very sad indeed, especially since this years opener falls on an unguided fishing day. Just couldn't bring myself to ignore whats going on around us this year, and forget what has happened to us the past 3 years on this river. And believe me, there's nothing I like more than fishing when there's no guides out.....very sad indeed.

Indeed that's true. So hopefully everything will work out so there will still be some to catch in the future....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I used to think that too, but I havent caught a king on the kenai in several years, I have found much more enjoyable fisheries in the salt.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Only 23 kings came off the beach on Tuesdays EO opener. Lowest on record.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...arvest_current

In-river king fishery should brace itself for the worst.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

Kicking myself for buying a river boat this year... Hope the pinks show up....

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    ...Hope the pinks show up....
    It is the first time I visit the Kenai on an even year. Do you know when the Pinks usually arrive? (I'll be there until end of July)

We usually catch the first one around July 23-24-25. By the first week in August, the lower river is plugged with 'em, typically have to weed thru 10-20 for every coho brought to hand.
    The KeenEye MD

Thumbs up Tidewater pinks . .

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    . . Hope the pinks show up....
    Doc's nailed the timing.

Get your pinks as far downriver as you can . . in tide-water. Can 'em . . they're excellent eating . .

Great post, Doc. I appreciate your approach to sustaining the fishery. Please all, take a look at my thread "Contacting our Representatives." Not fishing is an option, but there are many, many others. We need to contact our representatives so that action can be taken in the salt. The commercial fleet is killing the Kings, literally. 122,000 dead Kings thrown overboard as bycatch (while fishing for cod?!!!) in 2007. That number has only grown.

Good luck to all.....sure would like to catch ONE King this year, jeez.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...1670&year=2012

July 06, 2012

RETENTION OF KING SALMON PROHIBITED DURING 2012 KENAI RIVER PERSONAL USE DIPNET FISHERY
    Retention of king salmon in the Kenai River personal use dipnet fishery that occurs from July 10 through July 31 each year will be prohibited in 2012. Any king salmon caught may not be removed from the water and must be released immediately unharmed.

Based upon the preseason forecast, the 2012 Kenai River king salmon run was expected to be below average. Based upon the poor performance of king salmon stocks in Cook Inlet and other areas of the state, it is likely the Kenai River late-run king salmon stock will also experience poor performance and require conservative management. Initial indicators of Kenai River late-run strength are below average. The department has no information indicating that the Kenai River late-run will experience average or above average run strength.
    The low abundance of late-run king salmon in the Kenai River during the 2011 fishing season necessitated restrictions to the sport, personal use, and commercial fisheries. The 2012 late-run king salmon sport fishery was restricted from using bait in the Kenai River. Therefore, as directed by the Kenai River Late-Run King Salmon Management Plan, the personal use fishery will be managed to conserve king salmon in an effort to avoid additional restrictions or closure to the sport fishery.
    The KeenEye MD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast