Thread: Montague

Default Montague

Some friends and i are planning a trip to Montague Island in mid November. I'm expecting it to be cold and some snow on the ground, can anyone give me some more info on what else to expect that time of year. Thanks

You nailed it pretty good Cold and snow on the ground.

If you are flying in and out would estimate you have a 75% chance of your flight being delayed one or both ways so plan according.

Snow, up to 50mph winds, rain, extreme conditions at that time of year...or could be cold and clear...wont know until the weather channel updates that 10 day forcast.

Do a search for historical weather in that location. not sure if the NOAA site has it..but there are some out there.

BLUF. go prepared for both and you should be fine. also do some searching on the forum..lot of guys run out there..someone might post their experiences..but never take the sound lightly in the winter.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

You'll also only have about 7-8 hours of hunting light as well, so expect a bit of camp time. Good rain gear and a heater of some sort is a must. Dry wood can be an issue on the islands out that way if it has been snowing or raining.

Is it worth bring a shotgun to try for some ducks?

I was out in the sound late October last year and had a great duck shoot I am sure there will still be a lot in the area. If you have room I would bring one

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

few novembers ago, left whittier on a boat with couple friends & made it to patton bay (south side). we parked the boat in nellie martin river & stayed @ the cabin there. the weather turned to crap the 2nd night & we ended up staying for over week with the boat parked as far up river as we could get it. the winds were absolutely incredible out there. gotta love gulf of alaska

In a perfert world weather and seas permitting could a person make it from Port Chalmers to Green Island in a 14ft Inflatable or is that to far or even worth going over there to hunt? Just tell me if thats stupid no offense will be taken.

Don't be offended when everyone tells you that is a terrible idea. That's way too much bad water to even consider in a pool toy inflatable. Besides, if you're at Port Chalmers, I'd think you might want to hunt there.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Montague

Quote Originally Posted by hoythunter View Post
    In a perfert world weather and seas permitting could a person make it from Port Chalmers to Green Island in a 14ft Inflatable or is that to far or even worth going over there to hunt? Just tell me if thats stupid no offense will be taken.
    I was at port chalmers last year mid November, I would have never even thought of attempting a green island run in that small of a boat. Even if u made it there the weather could easily turn for the worst and u would be stuck. Port chalmers has plenty of good hunting just get into the old growth trees and away from the "crunch" of the snow. If u are crunching they will here u coming from a mile away. Also if the wind is going like it most likely will that was when we had our best hunting, I'm guessing because it was harder for them to hear us. Good luck that was one of my favorite hunts and plan on doing it again in the future. Pm me if u have any other questions about that specific area.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=70.232640,-148.275541

alright fare enough was just curious now i know, thank you for your input.

hoythunter I have used my zodiak in a lot of situations including bad ones and it is more capable then most would believe unless you actually ask people who have actual experience with them(just ask the USCG).. My issue would be the size and the ability of taking gear and fuel and perhaps the biggest thing for me is not being able to have a secondary motor in the event of a breakdown.
    All the best to you

Thanks Bear, i got the Alaska series 13 ft 9inch with a 20hp Merc but the back up is a good point prolly not much good with two oars against current and wind. We will just stay close to shore weather permitting never been in that area before so we will do some good looking around and let everyone know how it goes when we get back.

People have gone to green island from Whittier in a Zodiac with one motor. Watch the weather. Hope that you had a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonp2 View Post
    Some friends and i are planning a trip to Montague Island in mid November. I'm expecting it to be cold and some snow on the ground, can anyone give me some more info on what else to expect that time of year. Thanks
    In November.

#1 Good luck if you get there.
    #2 Good luck if you get back.
    #3 Pray for lots of snow to drive deer down.
    #4 Pray that lots of snow don't keep you boat or cabin bound.
    #5 Hope to heck you actually see some deer and I'm not talking trophy, does at best, bucks on a good day.
    #6 Book a trip to Kodiak or SE Alaska and you'll be much happier and much more successful and, return in one piece.

Good luck.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    People have gone to green island from Whittier in a Zodiac with one motor. Watch the weather. Hope that you had a good time.
    does anyone know how practical it would be to come from hinchinbrook island and over to montague? I have a 18 ft jon boat with a 27hp godevil long tail on the back...

Gosh, can the questions get any worst ? I mean some of you guys are just asking for big trouble. Hope your all single as the wives and kiddos will miss you. Play it safe leave the river boats home and charter either a reputable transporter or fly in.

noted thanks for the advice I will not be trying that stretch on my journey.

Quote Originally Posted by afman87 View Post
    does anyone know how practical it would be to come from hinchinbrook island and over to montague? I have a 18 ft jon boat with a 27hp godevil long tail on the back...
    Could it be done on a good day? Sure. But the point is, anytime in the fall or winter, you can't count on good days. And Hinchinbrook Entrance, which you must cross, can be some of the worst water you've ever seen in a blow. Then once you get over to Rocky Bay or Zaikof Bay or Stockdale, you have to hope for good weather to get out of there. Too much hoping if you ask me. I once met a couple guys who were dropped off over there by plane. They got stuck 2 full weeks past their pick up date by a storm that rolled in on them.

If you think you want to try crossing the Entrance in a jon boat in bad weather, watch this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt69DcjgZsA
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett