Thread: black bear in 20B

Default black bear in 20B

Where do I go to hunt Black Bear in the GMU? I just arrived in Fairbanks and live in the area.

Baiting is really the only way to hunt them, but most of the baiters in Fairbanks hunt in 20B. I would look torwards 20A or 25C but there are probably a few places left in 20B.

-Eric

shoot me a PM me and a coworker (both from Fort Wainwright) are going out tomorrow and will return in the week.. we are planning a bear hunt next month. if you would like to get in just let me know as we will be hunting in unit 25

Default re

where is 25B? Are you going out for a week or just day hunts?

we hunt all over actually not just area 25.. we were in area 20 and a few others today.. we tracked a very healthy size griz in a area near healy.. could not get a shot off unfortunantly but did get some great photo's of the denali carabeau herd... they were out in full force enjoying the greens of breakup.

Default plenty of room

there are plenty of places to set up a stand in 20b. just stay away from the chena, and the road system, as they are crowded. As long as you are willing to work a little you can find a place. also if you have access to a boat, you can go accross the Tanana and hunt in 20A tons of blackies there. shoot me a pm and I would be happy to give you a few ideas for a place to look.

Default healy

akfishfool~

How much snow around Healy?? Can you run a 4wheeler now? Thanks

Default I wouldn't try it yet

There is still a fair amount of snow, and it is soft. i would wait another week or two. Try further north around nenena, or towards minto. Most bairs won;t be found till the second week of may, but there will be a few who are extra hungry here and there. The early bears tend to be the ones who are hurting from not putting on enough fat reserves last fall

hey akfishfool Im still leary about heading out across the river by myself cause I beached myself last year on a dang mud bank that was just under the water and was out there for freaking hours anyhow do you think a sportjon is able to get back in there a ways? Im asking cause I was up braid after braid and it seemed like I was not heading deep enough back in and after getting stuck I was just like forget this ANyhow thanks for any help.Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel in Ak View Post
    hey akfishfool Im still leary about heading out across the river by myself cause I beached myself last year on a dang mud bank that was just under the water and was out there for freaking hours anyhow do you think a sportjon is able to get back in there a ways? Im asking cause I was up braid after braid and it seemed like I was not heading deep enough back in and after getting stuck I was just like forget this ANyhow thanks for any help.Daniel
    When you say across the river are you talking about the Tanana? It's all about reading the river man, trial and error is how I learned. A sportjon should take you just about anywhere. Quite often I run a prop to my stations in 20A. The river isn't ready to run boats on yet, but if you want to go out sometime and get some trial and error in, I would love to go on a boat ride and maybe you could learn from some of my mistakes.

-Eric

Hahaahahahahaah! dude yes I meant the Tanana,and I dont like them errors when Im alone but Im always willing to reach down suck it up and hit it full throttle with some one next to me cheering me on
    Eric...by all means If you want a boat ride lets go,just remember I dont like them mudbanks.And Im so tempted to drop the boat in the Chena its killing me.Daniel

Default head down river

There are alot of islands on the south side of the tanana close to town, but the further down river you go the better. I have hunted many of the islands from stands, and shot plenty of bears off them. the bears will swim for a meal. The most important part is to go down river at least 5-10 miles. By the way I also run a prop on the river, and I do just fine, the trick is to not be in a rush, find the channels, stick to the outside of the bends take your time. If you can your better off heading up one of the side channels to get away from the main river. Otherwise. you will listen to alot of airboats. I have had a shot at a bear ruined twice by airboats, they are so noisy you hear them coming miles away, and milespast you. you can't hear anything when they are going by

Default beware of vandals

Also beware of not making your spot to noticable from the river, or your landing spot to nice. That river gets alot of use from people other than hunters, and I have had some problems with vandals in the past.

hey akfish fool.......thanks for the insights.I wanted to go to Minto Flats for bear and have heard to many horror stories about vehicles and what-not vandalized,that Im just like jeez...Im just gonna have to go for it eventually and just get out there and hunt.Thanks again on the help about the Islands.Daniel