Thread: Pontoon Blister

Default Pontoon Blister

I put together my 13' cataraft today and found that I have a blister on my pontoon. I'm curious if i can get away with a short day trip I have planned for tomorrow and how bad this blister could get. Any information or insight would be greatly appreciated!

tight lines

Quote Originally Posted by LIPSErvice View Post
    I put together my 13' cataraft today and found that I have a blister on my pontoon. I'm curious if i can get away with a short day trip I have planned for tomorrow and how bad this blister could get. Any information or insight would be greatly appreciated!

tight lines
    Just curious what brand this boat is? I don't want to turn this into a bash session, but sometimes cheaper boats will delaminate like that. On the other hand if it's a main-line company, they should take care of it under warranty.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

i've seen an NRS otter develop a blister after a boater spilled some Uncle Ben's deet on the tube and it sit in the sun for a few hours.

I removed the blister in the shop (deflated) and cleaned it well with tolulene, then applied an Aquaseal urethane bandaid (a copious drop that covered 1" border around the blister area. Let that dry overnight in 60+ degrees temps...good to go.

you can also patch it with a material swath, either way works well.

If your blister is a large one and it pops while floating, your tube will likely deflate soon thereafter, so i would address it at home before heading afield.

two cents, out

Did not realize the uncle Ben who makes rice also makes the deet! Sorry for this nearly worthless post.