Thread: Swarovski ATM/STM spotting scope

Default Swarovski ATM/STM spotting scope

Well After months of blogging and asking questions on this post and testing just about every scope on the market i decided to go with the non hd 20-60x 80 mm Swarovski ATM. I thought many performed side by side in high visibility times but none matched the light gathering capabilities of the swaro in low light and i think i tried just about every high end scope in the 1000 to 2500 range. What was odd to me and why i went with the 80mm compared to the cheaper an more compact 60mm was how terrible the 60 mm eye relief was. I mean it was so bad it caused me to buy the more expensive heavier less compact version I was trying to avoid. Anyone else have this problem with Swaro was really surprised to see this while comparing them all. Never heard anything but but the best reviews for Swaro but the 60 mm performed really low do to this eye relief but the 80 is awesome.

Ps thank you for all of you who
    Replied to My posts throught my optic quest it really helped my search process

I started out using spotters with a straight eye piece and constantly got a kink in my neck unless I had a tripod at the perfect height which is not always possible so when I upgraded to the Swaro I went with the angled eye piece and love it, no more sore neck no matter what I do or the tripod decides to so! I even use it a lot without a tripod and never have any issues then either.

I never took eye relief into consideration when buying one since I have always had to put my eye right up to the eye piece on any spotter I had looked through and it never bothered me since they don't recoil.

Good info to know for us eye glass wearers.

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

I love my 60mm swaro HD straight...always use a quality tripod...looked at every variation of both models...eye relief has not been an issue and can correct for eyeglass relief with focus...there is also an adjustment to the eye relief on the eyepiece...would not trade to the other model if given an option...

Well I decided to trade in in for the 80 mm seemed clearer to me with better eye relief

Quote Originally Posted by IndyCzar View Post
    I love my 60mm swaro HD straight...always use a quality tripod...looked at every variation of both models...eye relief has not been an issue and can correct for eyeglass relief with focus...there is also an adjustment to the eye relief on the eyepiece...would not trade to the other model if given an option...
    The hd to me seemed like it had better eye relief

When I was looking at them, it seemed to me that the eye piece had more to do with the eye piece then the objective did. I bought a ATM 60mm HD, but it has a 20x50 wide eye piece and has a lot of eye relief. I really like to glass and have taken some nice photos with it.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Good point the 60 was awesome I almost went with the 60 hd it's just about the same price as the 80 but it seemed at 60x it was hard to get a full view with the 60mm I do want to get the 25 50 eye piece though

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota boy View Post
    Good point the 60 was awesome I almost went with the 60 hd it's just about the same price as the 80 but it seemed at 60x it was hard to get a full view with the 60mm I do want to get the 25 50 eye piece though
    I don't know about a difference in eye relief (they use the same eyepiece), however the 65 mm will have a tiny exit pupil diameter at 60X, which makes it slightly more sensitive to eye position. It's not exactly huge on an 80mm, but perhaps that is the difference? I too found the 80mm easier too look through.

Yk

Well I folded I went and exchanged the scope for the 65 mm hd. STM. Not sure if the he is really worth it but if it isn't consider me a victim of another marketing ploy it was about a Hundred more and the eye relief at sixty times I think is still poor but the compact and potential Benefit of hd which I hope
    To notice when in the day light. couldn't tell a whole lot of a difference at the store but there was a huge difference between my hd binos and non hd scope which made me want the hd Version. Hope giving up 80mm for hd and compact was the right decision. Soooooo hard to decide

Even if you decide later that the Swaro you bought wasn't the best model (for you), it's still a GOOD decision.

Besides, unless you damage it, you can always sell the scope and get your money out of it. At the rate glass prices have gone up lately, you'd probably make a profit - until you buy the replacement.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

That 80 mm would be one heavy mutha on my mountain hunts, likely yours too, Dakota.
    Sleep well on your decision...
    Proud to be an American!

I have the 65hd and love it. I got swaro's camera adaptor and I've been extremely happy with picture quality from miles and miles away. The hd makes a pretty big difference in picture quality but i personally can't tell the difference with a naked eye. Good decision on getting the 65 id say. congrats

Quote Originally Posted by mtnclimber View Post
    I have the 65hd and love it. I got swaro's camera adaptor and I've been extremely happy with picture quality from miles and miles away. The hd makes a pretty big difference in picture quality but i personally can't tell the difference with a naked eye. Good decision on getting the 65 id say. congrats
    I also have a Swaro and the camera adapter, but in my quest to find a light weight setup for sheep digiscoping I came up with a new setup. I bought one of the new Olympus TG-1 ihs, it is a waterproof tough camera that you can add different lens to. It has an adapter that the lens attach to. I took the adapter and it fits perfectly under the rubber eye guard. All I have to do to attach the camera is to twist it onto the adapter that I leave attached to the spotter. I have been able to take some nice photos and HD video with it with little added weight. Quick and easy!!!

Really can't wait to give this digiscoping a try any ideas on a cheap comparable camera or are just about all cameras compatible

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota boy View Post
    Really can't wait to give this digiscoping a try any ideas on a cheap comparable camera or are just about all cameras compatible

I have a friend that likes this setup, about as cheap and light as you can get. I would have went that way, but I really like the water proof cameras and they are harder to use to digiscope with.

http://www.tinesup.com/scopecam_point__shoot.html
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Any ideas on how to get an Iphone digiscoping?

Meopta makes an iPhone adapter. I haven't actually seen one, but when I was looking around the web somewhere it said it would not fit a Swaro. Might be worth playing with it anyway and make it fit since it seems like just the ticket.

http://swfa.com/Meopta-MeoPix-iPhone...or-P53609.aspx