Thread: Ninilchick on sunday

Default Ninilchick on sunday

Going fishing on sunday out of ninilchick with somebuddies one of which is from the east coast. This has got to be one of the worst weekends to go. Negative tides, seas 5 ft winds s20 kt's. Anything to keep my hopes up?!

Quote Originally Posted by ak_russ View Post
    Going fishing on sunday out of ninilchick with somebuddies one of which is from the east coast. This has got to be one of the worst weekends to go. Negative tides, seas 5 ft winds s20 kt's. Anything to keep my hopes up?!

Things can always be worse and the halibut will still be there.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

You can't catch halibut if you don't get off the couch!

Wouldn't worry about small minuses. Halibut will still bite good. The only minuses that are tough are minus 4 or 5's. Generally wind doesn't pick up until the afternoon so if you're going in the morning you should be good to go.

You could go to Homer and do a half day boat, or even a larger boat. There is alot to be said for a bigger boat! You don't see any 50ft Delta's on beach trailers

Well, first of all the tides really aren't that bad. It's only a 19 ft. tidal change which isn't unfishable. And I'm not sure where you get the "5 ft. winds s20 kts" report from because that's not what it's saying now. Besides, I have found in 3 years of living in Homer and fishing K-Bay and Cook Inlet a few times a week all year long that the marine forecast, and especially the extended marine forecast, is only at BEST about 20% accurate. Today I think it was calling for 3 ft. seas and it was almost flat out there. And just a gentle breeze. Hope that helps.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by 33outdoorsman View Post
    Wouldn't worry about small minuses. Halibut will still bite good. The only minuses that are tough are minus 4 or 5's. Generally wind doesn't pick up until the afternoon so if you're going in the morning you should be good to go.
    Indeed.......those tides aren't that bad. But when you need 64 ozs to stay on the bottom, now that can be a bit exciting when you hook into a nice one....!!!....lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Today I think it was calling for 3 ft. seas and it was almost flat out there. And just a gentle breeze. Hope that helps.
    Oh sure............rub it in why don't ya....lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Oh sure............rub it in why don't ya....lol

If this helps any, we caught these on June 2nd, which was a -2.8 to 17.2 tide day: 4_butt_and_1_king.jpg

and these on June 3rd which was a -4.4 to 18.3 tide day: butt_for_the_day.jpg

Big tides like those are definitely fishable if you know what you're doing.

Nice pics, could you put a yardstick down for a size reference? Good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Well, first of all the tides really aren't that bad. It's only a 19 ft. tidal change which isn't unfishable. And I'm not sure where you get the "5 ft. winds s20 kts" report from because that's not what it's saying now. Besides, I have found in 3 years of living in Homer and fishing K-Bay and Cook Inlet a few times a week all year long that the marine forecast, and especially the extended marine forecast, is only at BEST about 20% accurate. Today I think it was calling for 3 ft. seas and it was almost flat out there. And just a gentle breeze. Hope that helps.
    The more I fish out in K-Bay, the more I realize how correct this thinking is. I still do check the forecast, but it is only one tool I use to make decisions about going out. Nothing is as good as being there and seeing the conditions firsthand.

Well, today just goes to show. We were out about 23 miles straight out from the Spit and it was almost flat and incredibly beautiful. And had absolutely no problem fishing in the big tides. Biggest butt was a 32 pounder but didn't have time to take a picture of it. How did you all do?

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    Nice pics, could you put a yardstick down for a size reference? Good job.
    You can see a line in the floor boards under the fish and if I can remember to I'll measure how far it is from the bulkhead to that line. I do know that the two bigger ones in the picture with the king were 24 and 25 lbs. and in the other pic the big one was 39 lbs.

Charterboat Operator

Sunday just goes to show you how the forcast can be so spot on!! ha ha ha .. Ran all the way to Chugach Island, at 30+ mph!!

Today had even bigger tides than yesterday and this just goes to show what you can get on a "big tide" day (-3.7 to 17.8 feet) and not so wonderful conditions if you know what you're doing:
    big butt 7-2-12.jpg
    (65 lbs.)

The rest of our limit is lying on the floor.

Any mushy ones? Caught a limit with the family last week. 3 out of 12 were mush. Out of Homer. And the mushy ones where full of small crabs. Packed full!

Quote Originally Posted by Bear74 View Post
    Any mushy ones? Caught a limit with the family last week. 3 out of 12 were mush. Out of Homer. And the mushy ones where full of small crabs. Packed full!
    I haven't caught a mushy halibut this year. Some of them are chalky, but not a single one has been mushy. And I've filleted well over 100 halibut in the last month or so. I'm not sure where everyone are finding all these "mushy" fish. We got these today and the white sided ones weren't mushy at all AND those funny looking orange ones sure weren't mushy!
    yellow eyes etc.JPG