Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fixed Power Riflescopes

Default Fixed Power Riflescopes

Thinking about putting one on a 7mm. Any thaughts anyone hunt with one. I was thinking a 6x. Caribou hunt this fall unit 13 with everyone else.

I have fixed 4x on a couple of my rifles and have hunted with them for years. I think they're fine. I actually only have 1 rifle with a variable scope (the rest are peeps). You'll be fine.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Although I own 3-9x and 4-12x, I've only ever killed two caribou with them (both set on 5x). A whole pile of moose, caribou, and even a couple sheep have died while using a 4x or 3X fixed leupolds on my rifles. A fixed 6x will be a non-issue.

Yk

Peeps and fixed for me also.Had a 300wm with a 6X that would shoot way out there but where I lived there was no way out there hunting so I passed it on.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I've got several rifles with fixed powers in 2.5x, 4x and 6x. A fixed 6x is my preference for open high country shooting.

I've taken a number of Unit 13 caribou with one on a .300WSM.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Fixed is my preference too. I have a couple Burris 4x, and some Kahles 6x. 6x is a fine scope for caribou country, and most everywhere else.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Aside from being lighter, brighter, tougher, more compact, more consistent and less complicated than a variable, they have no advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Vek View Post
    Aside from being lighter, brighter, tougher, more compact, more consistent and less complicated than a variable, they have no advantage.
    Don't forget 'more attractive'.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by Vek View Post
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Vek again.".....+1
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I remember my dear old Dad told me a hundred years ago that "a guy don't really need nuthin' more than a 4 power...." That's what he bought me for my first rifle a fixed 4x Swift. I still have it attached to my Ruger 10/22.......that he also bought me for $56. brand new. If I recall it was from Montgomery Wards. Yep, I know...I'm showin' my age again.....lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I have had a fixed 6x Leopold on my Ruger 270 for the past 30 years. It has never lost it zero. Many Sheep, goat, caribou and even a couple moose, a fox or two the list goes on. Get a 6x and forget about the rest. Happy 30 years of hunting to ya.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I put a new version Weaver K4 on my wife's rifle to keep the weight down, and to keep it simple.

6X is too much power, and not enuff FOV for a possible close range shot.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

A fixed 6x or even a 4x should serve you well on your Caribou hunt. Assuming of course you don't have any unexpected close range snap shooting or the need to find fast moving critters at close range. There seems to be plenty of posts here supporting the fixed setup.
    Good hunting

Nothing wrong with a fixed power.All my 6x45 has worn since I built it is a 4x,killed plenty of coyote and smaller varmints out to 200yds and further.Caribou is a lot bigger target.Nice thing about fixed is no change in eye relief or fiddling with what power to use.

I love fixed power rifles scopes, never had anything else for the longest time. My old faithful 30/06 wears an ancient 4X Leupold that my Grandad bought new in the wayback and gave to me when I was twelve. It has never, ever, shifted POI or lost zero, even the year the ocular lense came unglued and was rattling around inside the tube. I thought it was a sling swivel making the ticking noise and went to the range to check my zero before going on a moose hunt, shot one of the best groups I've ever fired with that rifle with the last three shots of about a box I put through it that day, only when I got home did I track down the rattle and find it was inside the tube. Sent it back to Oregon for a free rebuild after only 54yrs of service and it's now back in it's place atop that old rifle, good as ever.
    I like low powered variables and own a bunch of them, but only because I have come upon some really good deals which I never seem to find on fixed powers. I generally leave those scopes set at 4x or sometimes 3 power but I could easily go back to just a straight 4 and be happy. Aside from the low power variables I still have one 4x, a 2.75x, 3x, and a couple 2.5s. As you may have guessed I don't like a lot of magnification in most situations but still don't believe that a 6x is overbearing for an allaround rifle. I shot my first deer when I was a little fella with a straight 6 Unertal at the incredibly long range of 7, yes SEVEN yards. And have a friend who, funny story, shot a charging rabid beefcow at less than 10yds using a 6X. With both eyes open 4 or 6 power is not a huge handicap at short range provided the scope is of good quality.
    Rock the fixed 4 and fill the freezer, get good solid mounts and practice and you'll be all set.

Nothing wrong with a fixed power scope, but I just like variables. I have hunted with both and prefer the flexibility of variable powers. You mentioned a caribou hunt and it is nice to have a little extra power for those longer shots. I have never had problems with a quality scope whether it is fixed or variable. Some like bolts and some like levers. Some like wood and some like synthetic. Have fun!

Varriables are nice but a pain and heavier when you are counting ozs. Ive always preferred a straight 6x for everything knowing that the closest shots would be tough. For longer range a straight 8x or 10x cant be beat, and ya dont have all them knobs and dials to fool with. I guess 4x is really best and lightest for all around the world hunting. Good luck.
    svenska50@hotmail.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER

I'm with Patty. A variable is a tool like anything else I carry. to me having a fixed would be like carrying JUST a flint and steel and not matches or a lighter. Yes the flint will never fail but I defy anyone here to tell me thats the only means of fire they carry. I can think of a hundred other things that I could shave ounces off before doing that with a rifle scope. There are times where a 6x would be to strong, but having the option to go from 3x to a 9x make way more sense and fits way more scenarios.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I am like 'the kid' above. I have had Leupold 4x scopes on my 300 Win and 270 Win for about 40 years and they have never given me a problem in rain, snow, freezing temperatures,etc.

on a bolt action I normally have a 6x scope and on anything with a barrel 20" or shorter i have a 4x. i currently have a Leupold HAMR on my AR with the Delta Point on top. The biggest scope I have ever used was a 6-24x50 but I could not hold the crosshairs steady at anything above 9x. To me at least, 6x is just about perfect along with some 8 or 10x binocs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast