Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rainbows on the Russian

Default Rainbows on the Russian

Looking on what flies to bring to fish the Russian or any other wading streams in mid to late July. What are some options to take a break from Red fishing, home base is Sterling.
    From some past posts, I remember people I think mentioning large nymphs size 10-14 PT, Hares ear, Copper Johns and dries like Parachute Adams & Humpies in the 10-12 range. Beads are out but what about otter eggs as they are fixed to hook?

Can I get by with my 5wt and 3x or 4x tippet? Always have just fished salmon, other than last year on Ptarmigan creek in late August with beads.

Otter eggs would be hard to attach to a hook But OTHER salmon egg patterns like glo bug or Illiamna Pinkies will work. I know it's still early but I couldn't resist. Good luck out there and watch for the bears. Caddis flies under the overhanging brush have always been a favorite of mine.

How far up river do I need to typically need to move up? By myself, so like to stay around others so my head is not on a constant swivel and can focus on fishing. Heard the bears in the area can be a little pushy, is a can a spray a must there?
    Any suggestions are helpful.

Spray is an option just as a firearm is... I prefer the option that goes BOOM. All of the many bear encounters I have had on the Russian ended peacefully and were enjoyable. Even with others around you should keep your head on a swivel-do not rely on others to alert you of the presence of a bear-I am speaking from experience.

As for the fish, they can be had throughout the river.

Yeah my bear spray has 395 grains per pull. Check your PM's Col. Your 5 wt will work but this years high water conditions will add some fight to the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. F Rodder View Post
    Looking on what flies to bring to fish the Russian or any other wading streams in mid to late July. What are some options to take a break from Red fishing, home base is Sterling.
    From some past posts, I remember people I think mentioning large nymphs size 10-14 PT, Hares ear, Copper Johns and dries like Parachute Adams & Humpies in the 10-12 range. Beads are out but what about otter eggs as they are fixed to hook?

Can I get by with my 5wt and 3x or 4x tippet? Always have just fished salmon, other than last year on Ptarmigan creek in late August with beads.

Bow fishing on the Russian can be spectacular and there are some big ones in there. Bring a good assortment of flesh flies, dries like EHCs parachute adams parachutes hairs ears and a variety of nymphs. Water is high right now so with a 5wt expect to be chasing fish down stream if you do happen to hook a nice one. I use a 6wt and have been having to chase nice fish. A little hairy with water levels right now. You should have no problem hiking up stream. There's people all the way up. Trout fishing gets better the further up you go anyway.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Quote Originally Posted by Col. F Rodder View Post

Flesh will be hot by then but it can't be said enough to bring beadheads and dries. I perfer light tan caddis. Your 5wt will be fine.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't think you could peg beads until after Aug 20th, or around those dates on the Russian

Correct about beads. Beadheads he was referring to nymphs.

Someone just posted on another site that they saw 14 bears yesterday on the Russian.

Seeing is fine, charging is another. How close will they typically get? Won't have any fish on me and don't smell like jerky last I knew

Quote Originally Posted by KMac View Post
    Someone just posted on another site that they saw 14 bears yesterday on the Russian.
    I wonder if that's why the falls up near Lower Russian Lake were long ago named Bear Falls ???

If you can get to the upper end of the Lower Russian Lake, buth the rainbows and big dollies will wear you out.

Quote Originally Posted by KMac View Post
    They probably saw the same 3-5 bears multiple times.

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    They probably saw the same 3-5 bears multiple times.
    Actually the guy detailed the different sets he saw. Not that it matters...everyday occurrence for some people, deal breaker for others.

Is the bear spray to add flavor to the meal after they eat you? I'd bring a firearm.

idk about the rest of you but i have seen and used spray several different times and 100% of the time it has worked everytime!

Wondering about bows on the Russian? Here's some pigs from my last couple of trips.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0716.jpg   IMG_0723.jpg  
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Nice fish Raptor. Will be there in a week and planning on putting in at least a day on the Russian.
    Picked up some twoffer flesh, large BH, rubber legged prince, EHC, Adams, Red Humpy and something that looks like a combo hares ear/ wolly bugger. Hopefully that will do the trick. If you plan on being down that way around the 20-22nd give me a shout.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	russian river july 2012 015.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	61310Click image for larger version. 

Name:	russian 'bow.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	61311Russian river rainbows of recent.

Nice lookin fish!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast