Thread: Camping gear

Default Camping gear

Hello guys!

Can anyone tell me where to buy a set of camping gear? My friends are planning to go camping somewhere in Alaska. I dont know exactly where but I am certain that the plan to go there has been set. That would be next month! Help me prepare...please....thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by HeroneSwamp View Post
    Hello guys!

Can anyone tell me where to buy a set of camping gear? My friends are planning to go camping somewhere in Alaska. I dont know exactly where but I am certain that the plan to go there has been set. That would be next month! Help me prepare...please....thanks...
    Sounds like "Into the Wild" Sorry I couldn't resist. If you are serious then you should provide a lot more info on your plans and what it it you really need help locating. What gear is it that you don't have and need or are you saying that you have never been and have nothing? What is your budget? How long will you be out? What is the style of camping that you will be doing? Where will you be going? There is a couple dozen places to get the things you need. Try an army surplus for one. Cabelas, Bass Pro, Sportmans Warehouse, If you are going to get it in anchorage, you can support the little guy and get some things from Wiggy's of alaska ( owner is a member here) or Barney's Sport Chalet.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I agree with tboehm, you should provide alot more info. about your trip. There are big name retailers like sportsmans warehouse in AK too, if your planning on buying your gear in AK. There are also places that will rent you camping gear in Anchorage if you dont feel like buying in AK then flying back with it, or trying to sell it before you leave.

I would also suggest you start this thread over in the camping part of the forum, its towards the bottom, in the 'more forums' section. That is actually where I heard about the camping gear rental.

If the trip starts next month, I would suggest you stock up on both summer and winter gear.

...unless your camping trip is near Spenard, in which case you would need is a roll of tokens for those viewing machines.

Go to REI in Salt Lake city, tell them what you are doing and they'll hook you up.

why is this in the hunting forum?
    Missing the greatest state in the Union!

I moved this over to the gear forum. As to the question the info provided is like asking what you need to go camping somewhere between texas and wyoming. Alaska is huge with varying terrain and weather depending on where you are going. If car camping then there really isn't much to worry about no matter where you go since you always have the car to fall back into if something goes wrong. If backpacking in then there is a lot more to look at regarding where and how you plan to camp.

Rent a car and camp on the Kenai.

Have Scenic Mountain Air fly you to a cabin on the Kenai.

Have Family Air in Ketchikan fly you to a cabin.

Rent an RV and go in any direction.

We could do this for hours.

Default hello guys

Guys, here's the update for our plans. We decided to go to Tongass National Forest in alaska. I am not really familiar with the place but I am certain that the camping site would need lots of items. I browse the web yesterday and I found this online store, http://www.survivalgearplanet.com. I find lots of items but I do not know which is appropriate to bring for that camping.

I would appreciate your suggestions. By the way, there will be six of us on the trip.

Guys, here's the update for our plans. We decided to go to Tongass National Forest in alaska. I am not really familiar with the place but I am certain that the camping site would need lots of items. I browse the web yesterday and I found this online store, http://www.survivalgearplanet.com. I find lots of items but I do not know which is appropriate to bring for that camping.

I would appreciate your suggestions. By the way, there will be six of us on the trip.
    We are trying to help you but you are really being WAY TOO vague. Does anyone in your group have any camping experience? How much do you have? How long will you be out? Will you be flying in? What is your weight limit? Will you be in a cabin or tent? This could go on for days. Pick up a camping book and do some reading, that is not meant to be sarcastic or mean but it will help.

here is one list from this forum, this may not apply because of what you are doing but that because you aren't providing enough info to help you.

I keep it on my computer's desk top during the summer. You could copy and paste into your own doc. and change as needed.

Vehicle/Camper List
    Spare Parts/Tools
    Bottle jack, tire irons, wheel wrench
    Leveling blocks
    Flares
    Hacksaw, sockets, drivers, wrenches, etc.
    Grease gun
    Flashlight
    Motor oil
    Wd-40
    Duct tape, electrical tape
    Fire extinguisher
    Baling wire
    Cable-ties.
    Insulated copper wire, for emergency wiring around bad circuits.
    Funnel
    Tube of RTV / Shoe Goo / Epoxy
    Porta-potty liquid

Camping Stuff
    Camping Chairs
    Small barbecue
    Rope and bungies
    Ladder
    Ax/hatchet
    Small chainsaw and fuel
    Bicycles
    Sleeping bags, pads, small tent for overflow
    Tarps
    Cooking grate
    Games
    Fishing poles, gear, licenses
    Rope
    Bug dope/coils
    Canoe, paddles, PFDs
    Awning
    Collapsible shelter (for changing or porta potty)

Preparation
    Put on camper and tie down
    Battery hooked up
    Propane up
    Put on mirrors
    Put on hitch
    Water up
    Start fridge
    Firewood bundled
    Check oil and coolant
    Grease "pull behind" trailer bearings/check lights
    Load up pull behind with overflow gear, canoe, wood, bikes, etc.
    Pack in extra clothes/coats/rain gear, etc.

Food/Supplies
    Rolls of paper towels, toilet paper
    Condiments
    Pancake batter, syrup
    Cereals, oatmeal
    Spices
    Coffee/hot chocolate
    Meats
    Quick canned meals
    Butter
    Jam
    Bread, crackers
    Treats
    Cooking oil
    Juice or pop
    Drinking water in bottles

http://www.paddling.jimstrutz.com/page45.html

http://www.nrsweb.com/Services/Check...ist.asp?tn=147

This a link to gear list from the home page

http://outdoorsdirectory.com/gear/gear-lists

Pick up an old boy scout book and get a list from that.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Now that really narrows it down. The Tongass is the largest national forest in the U.S. at over 17 million acres........As everyone else mentioned you are going to have to be more specific in your request for info.

You should call a bush pilot in the area and rent your camping gear.

In Ketchikan Family Air is great.

Many usfs cabins he can fly you to. Most are on lakes and rivers.

He can rent you camping kits with most all the gear you need.

Get food at grocery store and you would be set.

Karta Lake Cabin and Jordan Lake Cabin are great areas.

More info on the Family Air website.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    We are trying to help you but you are really being WAY TOO vague. Does anyone in your group have any camping experience? How much do you have? How long will you be out? Will you be flying in? What is your weight limit? Will you be in a cabin or tent? This could go on for days. Pick up a camping book and do some reading, that is not meant to be sarcastic or mean but it will help.

here is one list from this forum, this may not apply because of what you are doing but that because you aren't providing enough info to help you.

I keep it on my computer's desk top during the summer. You could copy and paste into your own doc. and change as needed.

Vehicle/Camper List
    Spare Parts/Tools
    Bottle jack, tire irons, wheel wrench
    Leveling blocks
    Flares
    Hacksaw, sockets, drivers, wrenches, etc.
    Grease gun
    Flashlight
    Motor oil
    Wd-40
    Duct tape, electrical tape
    Fire extinguisher
    Baling wire
    Cable-ties.
    Insulated copper wire, for emergency wiring around bad circuits.
    Funnel
    Tube of RTV / Shoe Goo / Epoxy
    Porta-potty liquid

Camping Stuff
    Camping Chairs
    Small barbecue
    Rope and bungies
    Ladder
    Ax/hatchet
    Small chainsaw and fuel
    Bicycles
    Sleeping bags, pads, small tent for overflow
    Tarps
    Cooking grate
    Games
    Fishing poles, gear, licenses
    Rope
    Bug dope/coils
    Canoe, paddles, PFDs
    Awning
    Collapsible shelter (for changing or porta potty)

Preparation
    Put on camper and tie down
    Battery hooked up
    Propane up
    Put on mirrors
    Put on hitch
    Water up
    Start fridge
    Firewood bundled
    Check oil and coolant
    Grease "pull behind" trailer bearings/check lights
    Load up pull behind with overflow gear, canoe, wood, bikes, etc.
    Pack in extra clothes/coats/rain gear, etc.

Food/Supplies
    Rolls of paper towels, toilet paper
    Condiments
    Pancake batter, syrup
    Cereals, oatmeal
    Spices
    Coffee/hot chocolate
    Meats
    Quick canned meals
    Butter
    Jam
    Bread, crackers
    Treats
    Cooking oil
    Juice or pop
    Drinking water in bottles

http://www.paddling.jimstrutz.com/page45.html

http://www.nrsweb.com/Services/Check...ist.asp?tn=147

This a link to gear list from the home page

http://outdoorsdirectory.com/gear/gear-lists

Pick up an old boy scout book and get a list from that.

You forgot the liquor

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    You forgot the liquor
    I was going to let you bring it.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Thanks for suggesting the items. Anyway regarding to your questions, I think there are only two in our group who has experience. The are first timers and that includes me. We will be spending a 2 weeks trip. I would surely do some research and readings. Thanks for your help. I'll tell my friends about your suggestions.

The tongas is not the same as other national forests in the states. It is undeveloped wildernes with few camp grounds away from a town.

It's going to really wet since it is a rain forest. Anyone that is not an experienced camper is going to struggle with managing the water. You will need a tent for your tent is what I mean.

If you enjoy being cold and wet you should have a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    You will need a tent for your tent is what I mean.

If you enjoy being cold and wet you should have a good time.
    As funny as that sounds, it's not funny if your the one in the tent. LOL
    If you like having a camp fire make sure you bring a weed burner to start the fire. You will not be sorry.

I remember being on Annette island trying to start a fire because I was bitterly cold and wet. I poured diesel on the wood, it was a great fire, until the diesel burned off. It made me a bit angry at the decision involved with needing to cut "fire roads" in the Tongass. Must have sure produced some serious board yardage per square acre for that private company, judging by the size of the trees in that region.

I think I'd rather bring a little trekker diesel heater on that camping trip. It would be worth it's weight in gold. 5 gallons of diesel would last a week or more.

Man, that trekker stove looks sweet. Too heavy for my usage on float trips though. 16 lb stove and a few gallons of gas would really cut into my bush plane payloads. Would be killer for other applications. I got a Coleman black cat (catalytic) heater last week for my MSR Barn tent. Will pick up 2-3 one pound bottles of propane in Kotz. Should be nice running heater for an hour each morning while making breakfast and coffee in tent. Then again about an hour before bed each night to knock the chill off. At 3.5 lbs, 3,000 BTU's for 7 hours on 1lb of propane is pretty big bang for the weight/bulk.

So are you doing the planning for six? or what does your planner suggest?

As many have said, the Tongass National Forest is a big area. If it were me, I'd double up on the rain gear and footwear. Also, take several bottles of 99%-100% DEET insect repellent.

A tent for the tent is right on track. (note: the theme to double up on things to protect the wet gear from the wet is repeated). Put a tarp down under the tent. Set up the tent on the tarp. And then pitch a tarp over it all. Carry and use several tarps.

All of your things will be damp on the driest days... as its that humid. Leave the cotton clothing at home and go with wool or synthetic clothing. I'd use a synthetic sleeping bag instead of down filled because of the humidity.

As for fire, getting it started .. carry a boy scout match, 0000 steel wool, cotton balls, and Vaseline or similar. Learn to reliably light a fire with such items before your trip. Don't rely on a standard cigarette lighter as it may not work when it gets wet. Forget matches as they may last a day or two but the moisture in the air will probably render them useless after that.

We could start a recommended gear list for a two week trip, but IMO, you'll want these basics to get all of you through the first few days. Are you camping in the same place the entire time? Are you planning on lugging gear around? At least many of us have different gear lists/recommendations depending on such factors.