Thread: Wifes first bear

Default Wifes first bear

Well the wife finally connected tonight on her first big game animal. Pics to follow. We sat in the stand and burned some honey and waited a few hours. Nothing showed so i burned some more honey after about another hour and she couldn't take it anymore and needed a cigarette. I tried to get her. Ot to light up but she was already lit. Halfway through she spotted a bear walking to the bait. I turned the video camera on and started taping. She was excited but did a good job waiting on a clean shot. 1 shot from her 30-06 with a 168g berger through the lungs and he was done. He ran about 30 yds and started his death moan. He's a small bear but it will keep her interested in hunting. Now she's trying to figure out what type of mount she wants done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to hear she got it this time. Pics?

congrats, can't wait to see the pics
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Congrats! I take it you adjusted the shot placement?

Oh by the way AKhunterNP...congrats to your wife and you, cant wait to see some pics!
    Last edited by Brian M; 06-29-2012 at 12:30. Reason: referenced deleted comment

AKhunterNP: Glad you and your wife gave it another try. Congrats!

I have followed this whole tale starting with the lost bear. New hunters/shooters have a lot to learn and honestly we drill into most of their heads to aim just behind the shoulder on a broadside shot. This is hammered on in classes as well. The problem is that it doesn't necessarily work when shooting from a steep angle as was described in the first incident. You will also notice that he referred to it as "HER 30/06" and I believe there are other threads around here where so called "women's" rifles were discussed and he has mentioned his wife and her 30/06 so it isn't like this was her first time shooting it.

Long story short I believe that she didn't fail to hit where she was aiming in the first incident but rather aimed an an inappropriate location for the angle of the shot. I will now make it a point to discuss with my kids (all brand new hunters) the need to pick a point higher on the animal when shooting down into it from above. It sure sucks to learn a lesson like that on a live animal and I have a ton of respect for both the time they put in trying to recover it and the fact that they opened it up for discussion here. It is always appreciated when we get the chance to learn from the mistakes without having to make them ourselves!

theunseenowl; My old man frequently pointed out how I came equipped with 2 eyes, 2 ears and just the one mouth. Sure seems that the good lord felt listening and watching are twice as important as what we have to say. I try to take that into account when reading threads here and make sure I have fully reflected on what is being said before I respond (or better yet choose NOT to respond). This is why there was no response from me to the "you can take multiple shots at them" quote you made on another thread regarding sheep hunting. I have seen people miss then follow up with a great shot but I don't know that I have every known anyone that advocates essentially walking rounds in on target as could be construed from your statement. Personally I think sheep sometimes don't respond to a near miss because they don't know what is going on. A smash nearby then thunder echoing around the peaks a second later with no discernible threat location. Unless they have connected these events to a threat then it is hard to know where to run or how to react. In black shale white sheep a missed shot sends the sheep running only to return a short time later to investigate the bullets impact spot. I think you fail to realize that some of us may well be labeled "trophy hunters" but in reality we hunt the way we do because we enjoy getting up into the mountains and watching sheep. It isn't about maximizing harvest while minimizing effort. It is about learning behaviors of the prey, patterning it if possible then figuring out a strategy to beat it on it's own ground. Anyone who has hiked/climbed all day to stalk a ram only to peek over that last ridge and see it effortlessly jog down the mountain, cross the valley and keep going right up and over the far peaks in about 30 minutes understands.

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    Well the wife finally connected tonight on her first big game animal. Pics to follow. We sat in the stand and burned some honey and waited a few hours. Nothing showed so i burned some more honey after about another hour and she couldn't take it anymore and needed a cigarette. I tried to get her. Ot to light up but she was already lit. Halfway through she spotted a bear walking to the bait. I turned the video camera on and started taping. She was excited but did a good job waiting on a clean shot. 1 shot from her 30-06 with a 168g berger through the lungs and he was done. He ran about 30 yds and started his death moan. He's a small bear but it will keep her interested in hunting. Now she's trying to figure out what type of mount she wants done.

She gets her first bear AND a mount! Very nice. How about some pics?
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Congrats to your wife (and to you for putting her on one).

As far as the other thread I heard a quote once. Don't know who said it or the exact words, but it was something like "to error is human, it's what you do after that defines you". I cringe when I think of a wounded animal. But it sounds like you did everything with-in your power to fix it. So good on you and good luck in you and your wife's future hunts!

She was starting to second guess herself after losing the first one. I took her out to shoot her rifle so she could get some confidence back, and yes, it is her rifle, T/C Pro Hunter in 30-06. I'm at ADF&G having it sealed right now. Pics after i drop him off at the taxidermist.

Good on your wife. The nice thing about hunting bear over bait is it's all about the conditioning. Bears get conditioned to humans walking in and walking out...when human walks out food is there. Human doesn't walk out? Don't look for food. Thus the buddy system for attending the stand, luckily bears cant count. Same way with smoking. If you smoke while you set the bait pile and throw the butts in the barrel, the bears will associate cigarette smoke with food and the smoke in the air will be a dinner bell for down wind diners.

Not a bruiser but the meat should be tender.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Congrats..thx for sharing the "rest of the story"
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I have followed this whole tale starting with the lost bear. New hunters/shooters have a lot to learn and honestly we drill into most of their heads to aim just behind the shoulder on a broadside shot. This is hammered on in classes as well. The problem is that it doesn't necessarily work when shooting from a steep angle as was described in the first incident. You will also notice that he referred to it as "HER 30/06" and I believe there are other threads around here where so called "women's" rifles were discussed and he has mentioned his wife and her 30/06 so it isn't like this was her first time shooting it.

Long story short I believe that she didn't fail to hit where she was aiming in the first incident but rather aimed an an inappropriate location for the angle of the shot. I will now make it a point to discuss with my kids (all brand new hunters) the need to pick a point higher on the animal when shooting down into it from above. It sure sucks to learn a lesson like that on a live animal and I have a ton of respect for both the time they put in trying to recover it and the fact that they opened it up for discussion here. It is always appreciated when we get the chance to learn from the mistakes without having to make them ourselves!

theunseenowl; My old man frequently pointed out how I came equipped with 2 eyes, 2 ears and just the one mouth. Sure seems that the good lord felt listening and watching are twice as important as what we have to say. I try to take that into account when reading threads here and make sure I have fully reflected on what is being said before I respond (or better yet choose NOT to respond). This is why there was no response from me to the "you can take multiple shots at them" quote you made on another thread regarding sheep hunting. I have seen people miss then follow up with a great shot but I don't know that I have every known anyone that advocates essentially walking rounds in on target as could be construed from your statement. Personally I think sheep sometimes don't respond to a near miss because they don't know what is going on. A smash nearby then thunder echoing around the peaks a second later with no discernible threat location. Unless they have connected these events to a threat then it is hard to know where to run or how to react. In black shale white sheep a missed shot sends the sheep running only to return a short time later to investigate the bullets impact spot. I think you fail to realize that some of us may well be labeled "trophy hunters" but in reality we hunt the way we do because we enjoy getting up into the mountains and watching sheep. It isn't about maximizing harvest while minimizing effort. It is about learning behaviors of the prey, patterning it if possible then figuring out a strategy to beat it on it's own ground. Anyone who has hiked/climbed all day to stalk a ram only to peek over that last ridge and see it effortlessly jog down the mountain, cross the valley and keep going right up and over the far peaks in about 30 minutes understands.
    Very hard to argue with you on this one, you are too intelligent. When I mentioned taking multiple shots, I should have mentioned that I was talking about "other" people. you might want to think about paragraphs the next time you rant and rave tho. your discourse was very hard to read.

The wife decided on the full body mount of him with his front feet on a log like in one of the trail cam pics.

Like the picture, thanks for sharing. Is she hooked now?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I'd say she is. It looks like i'm going to be doin more "guiding" than hunting now. She has already invited herself on a caribou hunt and wants a grizz. I think the only hunt i'll get with the guys is the sheep hunt. She doesn't like the thought of those mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    It looks like i'm going to be doin more "guiding" than hunting now. She has already invited herself on a caribou hunt and wants a grizz.
    Yep, I'm in the same position. My wife took her first caribou in '09, her first deer last year, and this coming fall she has the first shot on sheep and a drawing permit for goats. I've come to accept that I'm little more than a sherpa these days. Heck, my wife is already feeling the pressure to get her hunting in before our boys (2 and 4) are old enough to be the trigger men. I suppose I can start hunting again when I'm in my 70s. Quite frankly, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Congrats to you and her both!