Thread: Cat Gauge Pod Retainers

Default Cat Gauge Pod Retainers

For those of you with newer cat quads you will likely at some point find the need to remove the plastic gauge pod from your machine. It is a fairly straight forward job consisting of unscrewing the bezel around the ignition switch then ripping the 2 plastic push in retainers on the front bottom of the plastic gauge housing. You will likely find that the act of removing the assembly renders the push in connectors useless! Cat wants a fortune for the darn things though identical replacements are available in the hardware dept of lowes for under $1. I elected to spend about $1 more and try a nifty and REMOVABLE option. In the same bin as the identical replacement retainers were some neat 1/4" connectors that used a threaded plunger in the center that you push in to expand the portion that is inserted into the pod housing.

This may be a common budget upgrade but hat others found first but I dig it as I can now remove and reinstall the push in retainers using a simple Philips head screwdriver without mangling a stupid trim retainer that Cat sells for $10/each!!

My '06 cats have the 'removable' pins. While they are slightly better than what you replaced, they are still junk. I curse the person that thought them up every time I try to take one out.