Thread: 17 hmr for beaver?

Default 17 hmr for beaver?

I'm thinking of trying this, this fall. Anyone have any experience shooting them with the 17hmr or another preferred round? How did it work?

I have seen some footage of the 17HNR being used in Canada for beaver hunting and it seemed to work great. Most areas of AK, including where I live, it isn't legal to shoot them so I have no personal experience.

Only with a head shot from the side in clear shallow water, otherwise, you are just killing something for the hell of it. Beaver are unbelievably tough.

This guy uses a 17HMR in Canada. His lab Charlie "the beaver retriever" is pretty darn cool to!

(Note** coarse language. I like this guys videos but be aware he uses the f-bomb in his conversational English.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhFsDJ0CAxA&feature=plcp

Alright Charlie! So I dropped the ball and put a Savage 93R17 left handed .17 HMR on Layaway! Can't wait. Beavers beware.

They expire just fine using a 17 or 22LR to the head. Sometimes it's the back of the head but it still works.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by H20Dogg View Post
    I'm thinking of trying this, this fall. Anyone have any experience shooting them with the 17hmr or another preferred round? How did it work?
    You had to ask, and I have to speculate.

That diminutive 17 caliber isn't enough gun for anything ceptin tweety birds, voles, pollywogs, grasshoppers, and such.

Judging from the size of the beavers I've seen I wouldn't shoot at'em with anything less than a 22 Mag. with 50 grain bullets.

Besides, with a 5 mph wind, the bullets would float away, and you wouldn't be able to hit anything at any real distance, anyway.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    You had to ask, and I have to speculate.

That diminutive 17 caliber isn't enough gun for anything ceptin tweety birds, voles, pollywogs, grasshoppers, and such.
    Lots of dead fox and coyotes would beg to differ.

Saw on 'Swamp People' the other day that one of the gator hunters favorite weapons was a 17 cal rifle. If they can handle a gator then a beaver should not be an issue. LOL!!!!
    Just like anything else it is all about 'shot placement'. I have never been in an area that it was 'legal' to shoot beavers so have no other input.

Most what I saw was a mix of 22 lr and more 22 magnum than regular 22 lr on that Swamp people show. I spent a decade with the 17 hmr, I got rid of all of them and went back to the 22 magnum.

Had more cripples on fox with the 17 hmr than clean kills. That never happened with the 22 mag, more blood on the snow too.

Quote Originally Posted by theunseenowl View Post
    Only with a head shot from the side in clear shallow water, otherwise, you are just killing something for the hell of it. Beaver are unbelievably tough.
    I agree.

Two things:
    1. Be careful when you skin them and you can make some money.
    2. They are tasty critters, especially the tails.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Besides, with a 5 mph wind, the bullets would float away, and you wouldn't be able to hit anything at any real distance, anyway.

Smitty of the North
    It's not like beavers only offer 100 yard shots. The ones I've been around would routinely let us get within 50 feet or closer before going under. I dont see why a 17HMR sighted in at 25 yards wouldnt work. Especially if the OP is using a canoe or something non-motorized to get up close. In 5-10 mph wind, I seemed to get about 4" of drift with my 17HMR. I think anywhere less than 50 yards would be no problem. My opinion, anyways.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6