Thread: Looking for charter recommendations.

Default Looking for charter recommendations.

My family is coming to visit me from Tennessee in August. I really want to take them out on a charter boat for a day or half day when they're here. It'll be during the week of the 12th-19th. I would like to either fish for salmon or halibut, and would like it to be in a place of scenic beauty, somethin' real alaskan. Also, within a few hours drive from Anchorage. I hope it's not too late to get something schedule for the summer.

That's a great time for both Silvers/Halibut and there are plenty of options around that time. Honestly, I would google search some charters in the Kenai Peninsula area and find the best price.

Best charter in Seward is Capt Randy Wells of Seward Fish Co. Check out his website at www.fishsewardalaska.com. Phone number 907-947-3349

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

I will second Randy out of seward....I have fished with him before and will again and again...If your in the Nilnilchik area I only use Ebb Tide Charters....Marvin is a member here and every trip I have done with him have been top knotch...As a matter of fact, I fished with Randy in Mid may for butts and will be out with Marvin on then 14th of july....Just googlen Ebb Tide Charters Alaska
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I've fished with Bristol Bay Adventures and would recommend them. Here is a review I found of them http://hornandfin.com/component/cont...bay-adventures

We have fished with Roe's charters out of deep creek area and have always been very happy. we usually just rent the boats to ourselves i think one boat fishes 6 the other maybe 8ish. great family run operation and the best part is you start fishing very quickly after launch unlike some of the homer trips where you're on a boat with 15 people and it takes two hours of boating to start fishing. i enjoy having very few people and being able to fish at a normal pace. my sister in law got a nice 150lber a couple years ago with them but we generally catch plenty of the good eater size fish. i believe they do salmon as well but haven't tried

I'm also thinking about doing a halibut trip this fall as well. Thanks for all of the information posted so far! Does anyone have a good bead on the general price range for a trip?

Capt Steve of Pro Fish n Sea charters been using him for 10 years never dissappointed. Just got back from one of his charters yesterday lots of fish lots of meat and had a great time. he has 3 boats now we got to go out in thee new bamf yesterday! rides like a caddy!

I have a combo trip booked with Glacier Fishing out of Seward on Aug. 15, I think im the only one booked so far out of the six spots. Looks like a really nice boat, and have heard Andy from Crackerjack say good things about the captain.

I'm going to go in another direction and recommend Matt Kopec out of Whittier. Shorter drive, no overnights needed, extremely scenic and we always have seen whales, porpoise, ect. Great boat. It is a long ride out to Montegue but it is from Seward also.
    www.fishwhittier.com

I'd go for the Seward trip, a sliver/halibut combo if you can. Probably a ~$300 trip but well worth it.

Most of the long running trips are getting around $300.00 plus 7% or so tax and a 4$ harbor fee. Then you have tip and parking (depending on where you go) etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ArrowSlanger78 View Post
    I'm also thinking about doing a halibut trip this fall as well. Thanks for all of the information posted so far! Does anyone have a good bead on the general price range for a trip?
    For a full day saltwater charter I'd budget about $500 to $600/ person
    $300 for the charter booking
    $40 for taxes and fuel surcharges
    $40~$60 for tips
    $50~100 for gas to get there (depending on what you drive of course)
    $20~ 50 for food meals etc
    $50 or so for fish processing

Thats assuming you have your license add $30 if you don't

Hotels run about $120~$200 if you plan on staying overnight

Sierra is on the high end of the charter cost but not by too terribly much. $400-$500 is definitely ball park depending on a few things. But at $25 per pound retail you could find its less expensive to go fishing than to buy it at market!
    Piscor Ergo Sum