Thread: Question for the 4 Stroke Guys?

Default Question for the 4 Stroke Guys?

I was told by a Yamaha mechanic that when changing the oil in my 4 stroke 90 that all I needed was good quality non-synthetic 10w30 oil, that 4 stroke oil was not needed. Can anyone validate this for me as to what you have been using? Thanks

Default 10w-30

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    I was told by a Yamaha mechanic that when changing the oil in my 4 stroke 90 that all I needed was good quality non-synthetic 10w30 oil, that 4 stroke oil was not needed. Can anyone validate this for me as to what you have been using? Thanks
    I assume that you are talking about the Yamalube oil when referring to 4 stroke oil. The local dealer here in Anchor town uses chevron 10w30. I was told that the 100 hour oil change interval was more important than the brand of oil. I had nearly 1000 hrs on my F100's before I sold them. I changed the fluids, both upper and lower, every 100hrs and they ran as new when I sold the old boat. Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't all motor oils held to the same standard?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Probably any 10-30 weight you find in any auto part store or discount store is designed for 4 strokes. Car and truck gas motors are "4 strokes".
    So no, what the dealer is saying does not makes sense. You can probably use any 4 stroke oil that meets the minimum grade specificed in the owners manual.
    Tennessee

Default Maybe Not

I spent a butt load of money on my Yamaha. I am going to stick with Yamalube. Check out this artical http://www.boats.com/news-reviews/ar...il-four-stroke

Until mine is past warranty I'm usin whatever the heck the dealer tells me to....call me brainwashed, but those pennies mean nothin compared to the other costs involved in Alaskan boating.

I hear ya guys, and the dealer is telling me that I do NOT have to use Yamalube or any other 4 stroke designated oil that any automotive 10w30 oil is just fine to use.

Default Yami oil is pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by deckhand-too View Post
    I spent a butt load of money on my Yamaha. I am going to stick with Yamalube. Check out this artical http://www.boats.com/news-reviews/ar...il-four-stroke
    If i had to guess you mech is looking for some more busness. ( i don't mean to dog the guy) I have been to the factory school and they sold it to me like this: (read the link first), do you run your car at 5500RPM all day, do you idle your car all day, do you park your car for weeks on end, do you opperate your car on the water, and have you ever tried walking home in 30ft of water? Auto and marine certified oils are different. Todays car oils are made for gas mileage and boat oil is for wear and water. I'd follow the Yamaha book and use the 4-M. I also feed my F225 "ringfree" . Hope this helps

Default I use yamalube

it might be more but not by much when compared to Quicksilver and such. It has additives for High RPM motors. The mechanic is kinda right. But stick a general marine brand oil. even walmarts brand is fine. but outboard 4 stroke oil is better then just oil for you car, because of the HIGH RPM's. The mechanic was right on about the 10-30w. no heavier is needed even in summer. water temps are cooler and the thicker viscosity is just harder on the engine. Better performance basically with yamalube compared quaker state for example. Your motor is worth is the money trust me. If you ever have problems you will always wonder if it would have been worth money to use a high Quality oil. Sure they are all made to the same standards, but some put in ADDITIVES which help the motor in many ways. It is your boat, but I always trust my gut. Not the time or place to be a penny pincher.

Thanks for the info guys, I assure you that I am not being cheap and I have no problem using 4stroke oil, just found it odd that he gave me said advice. I always use Honda oil in my wheeler and will confidentally use Yamalube in my outboard.

Default Who makes their oil?

Most companies do not make their own products. In this particular case do you think Yamaha makes any type of oil. No they subcontract that out usually to the lowest bidder and slap a company sticker on the bottle. They might require certain propeties but it wont be any different than what you buy off the shelf at the parts store. This is the case with most parts. I always love it when someone says I only use motorcraft plugs in my ford, all the rest are junk. Do you really think ford makes spark plugs? Nope they are bidded out to another manufacturer and just have their name on them.

Default synthetic oil

Any one use synthetic oil in the outboard?

Default who makes the oil?

Of course it doesn't matter who makes the oil. What matters is who makes the specs. The US airforce does not make the F18 but it is made to their specifications.
    On the otherhand I think where the mechanic was coming from was that there is so much overkill in oil quality that you can get away with less then the best. We probably take better care of our outboards then we do of our lawn mowers. I think I have changed the oil once in my 10 year old mower and twice in my 2 year old 4 stroke.

Agreed.

I don't buy Suzuki oil because I believe it's technically better, I buy it strictly for the name. In that manner, it's a cheap insurance policy for future claims.

Default Oops

Quote Originally Posted by deckhand-too View Post
    Of course it doesn't matter who makes the oil. What matters is who makes the specs. The US airforce does not make the F18 but it is made to their specifications.
    On the otherhand I think where the mechanic was coming from was that there is so much overkill in oil quality that you can get away with less then the best. We probably take better care of our outboards then we do of our lawn mowers. I think I have changed the oil once in my 10 year old mower and twice in my 2 year old 4 stroke.
    Dude, the NAVY flies the F18 . . not the AF.

SH

I stand corrected but I am sure you get the point. Dude

I ran my '02 F115 Yammi on Yamalube 4-M oil, Penzoil 10-30, Castrol 10-30, Chevron 10-30 and it kept on running for 5 seasons! And I use it from May's breakup until October/November freezeup! Literally thousands of hours, only if I had an hour meter though. Oil pretty much is oil IMHO.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

As for oil changes with 4S o/b's.

If you troll alot with your main motor you should change the oil at half the normal intervals, especially in cold water. Most 4S motors run best at 190 degrees or so, if 4S o/b's run this hot, salt would cyrstalize and build up fast in the cooling jackets. For this reason most 4S o/b's run thermostats in the 140-150 degree range to minimize crystalization, but when trolling they will run much colder which can allow an incomplete fuel burn situation. The unburned fuel can escape past the rings and end up in the crankcase. This is known as "making oil", when changing your oil check to see how much is drained compared to the amount originanlly installed, and check the oil for fuel dilution. I've noticed this happening at tmes in my Yam 115, i've since added a T8 kicker and use it for trolling.

Neal

I have a friend in CA who sells & installs very high end filtration (oil mostly) systems for fleet vehicles (cement companies, trucking outfits, etc.); he also does a service for oil analysis.
    His findings, as I asked him questions already commented on:
    1. Just about all oil is made to the minimum specs
    2. However, the difference is in longevity and breakdown of the oil's properties.

I used to run cheepo oil in our cars & trucks, but after talking to him, now its Delo 400 in everything.

PS----I second the advice of those stated above; if the motor(s) are/is under warranty, go with what the manufacturer recommends.

Default Good article on 4 stroke oil

Here is a good article on 4 stroke oils in a marine application. Pretty suprising to me. A lot couple of myths busted IMHO.
    http://continuouswave.com/whaler/ref...dukeOfOil.html

Cheers
    MTRR

Quote Originally Posted by MTRiverRunner View Post
    Here is a good article on 4 stroke oils in a marine application. Pretty suprising to me. A lot couple of myths busted IMHO.
    http://continuouswave.com/whaler/ref...dukeOfOil.html

Cheers
    MTRR
    Interesting read. Penzoil huh?

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/