Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Kenai River Report Thread

Default 2012 Kenai River Report Thread

Current plan is an "All-Eggs-in-One-Basket" trip for Tuesday, July 24.

Reasoning is as follows:

1. NOT a scheduled Commercial opener.
    2. Occurs during second historical 20-year escapement bump.
    3. Tides (see below) allow for 2 incoming cycles during 6am-11pm period. Low tide corresponds nicely with Nap Time.
    4. NOT on a weekend.
    5. Anticipating a later run.
    6. Works with everything else on my plate.
    7. Works with my fishin' buds.

Kenai City Pier Tides for Tuesday, July 24, 2012

God willing, see you there.

~tr

Looks like I'm more free than I had hoped for the remainder of the summer, so we may (emphasize that) try the same time. You doing the boat thing again this year or just the beach?

Planning on the boat thing, bro. Wanna go?

I may want to I'll let you know for sure gotta check with the other half and see what we have going on.

Default Technique for Launching Little Boat Over the Bank at the Bridge

1. Go at low tide so as to maximize the entertainment of onlookers.
    2. Unstrap your boat from the trailer or pickup bed. Tie a long bowline onto a post.
    3. With your buddy spotting for you, back up straight at a high rate of speed and slam on the brakes just before the posts.
    4. With sufficient practice, you should be able to get your setup fairly close to the waterline.

~tr

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...1670&year=2012

July 06, 2012

RETENTION OF KING SALMON PROHIBITED DURING 2012 KENAI RIVER PERSONAL USE DIPNET FISHERY
    Retention of king salmon in the Kenai River personal use dipnet fishery that occurs from July 10 through July 31 each year will be prohibited in 2012. Any king salmon caught may not be removed from the water and must be released immediately unharmed.

Based upon the preseason forecast, the 2012 Kenai River king salmon run was expected to be below average. Based upon the poor performance of king salmon stocks in Cook Inlet and other areas of the state, it is likely the Kenai River late-run king salmon stock will also experience poor performance and require conservative management. Initial indicators of Kenai River late-run strength are below average. The department has no information indicating that the Kenai River late-run will experience average or above average run strength.
    The low abundance of late-run king salmon in the Kenai River during the 2011 fishing season necessitated restrictions to the sport, personal use, and commercial fisheries. The 2012 late-run king salmon sport fishery was restricted from using bait in the Kenai River. Therefore, as directed by the Kenai River Late-Run King Salmon Management Plan, the personal use fishery will be managed to conserve king salmon in an effort to avoid additional restrictions or closure to the sport fishery.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

ghey.

but it's the right decision

Anyone have a link to the 2012 OTF Index report online? I can't find it this year. Also, it sounds like there is a new, additional OTF set up further north, near Kaligin Island. ANyone know about this one?

Default OTF information . . .

Quote Originally Posted by BigDipper View Post
    Anyone have a link to the 2012 OTF Index report online? I can't find it this year. Also, it sounds like there is a new, additional OTF set up further north, near Kaligin Island. ANyone know about this one?
    You may call the Upper Cook Inlet Commercial Fisheries Information Line at 262-9611 for recorded daily reports of escapements and, at the end of the message, for the current OTF index.

For the Kenai, does the commercial fishing affect dipnetting the same day or the following day? On the same tide or the next tide?

Depends on how close to the river mouth they're fishing. Early in the summer the fleet is much further south or out in the middle by Kalgin Island. Mid to late July they have a significant effect on the fish about to enter the river.

As a matter of practice, I try not to fish on comm openers

You can expect the comm fishing to affect the run later the same day of comm fishing, and the next day, but it depends on how the strong the run is. If there are a phenominal number of fish going for the mouth, the comm fishery still won't get them all. Then again, I've seen the incoming fish pretty much shut down by com fishing.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I know that adfg releases commercial EOs. Do the commercial boats have regular days and hours they can fish? I can't seem to find the schedule on adfg site.

They used to be Monday and Thursdays, from 7-7 or something. I'm assuming it still is, although now it's almost entirely run by EO, though, so that's really the best bet for planning.

Default Different Way to Look at 2012 Kenai Escapement

http://aksalmondipnetting.com/kenai/2012KenaiEsc.htm

Graphical representation of date, moon phases, historical averages, comm openings, current escapement, and tides.

Wow! Thank you gr8fl. That is an amazing chart you put together.

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post

Graphical representation of date, moon phases, historical averages, comm openings, current escapement, and tides.

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post

Does the red text mean comm openings?

Roger that. Normally scheduled comm openings are Monday Thursday. You may want to subscribe to the ADF&G News Releases @ http://newsrelease.adfg.alaska.gov/i...tion=subscribe for current info.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast