Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deet on lures?

Default Deet on lures?

My new secret weapon. Smear it on liberally.

Kidding aside, when wearing bug dope you're bound to get some of incidental amount onto your lures when handling fishing gear. Does this adversely affect your bait enough to worry about? The bugs around here in Southeast have been gang rape lately, so going without isn't really an option.

How sure how it effects the bait but I know that high % deet insect repellents will actually melt through thin plastics. I spilled some on a crappy outdoor table cloth and it melted all the way through after a few hours. Im always try to wash my hands when there is deet on them before I touch my fishing line.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaFishTerminator View Post

Kidding aside, when wearing bug dope you're bound to get some of incidental amount onto your lures when handling fishing gear. Does this adversely affect your bait enough to worry about? The bugs around here in Southeast have been gang rape lately, so going without isn't really an option.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Well I can't speak for the fish anymore, but I know that Cheetos and Pretzels just don't taste the same without a little bug dope on your hands!
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Now you are going to get investigated for using a fish attractant!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaFishTerminator View Post

I am sure it matters some, but don't have a good sense of how much. If I have just used deet, sunblock, or had to work on the engine, I usually "wash" my hands with a herring or some herring oil before I handle a lure/bait. I was in Juneau last weekend. It was 80 degrees and the bugs were out IN FORCE.

Big_E

Dunno about inland, but it's death on kings in salt water. Yeah, we're often trolling in the shallows close to shore and the bugs can really get going. We're really careful not to get any on herring or lures. That means one person is our designated baiter (insert your own term if you want ) and wears gloves rather than getting DEET on hands. Easy to arrange, and we can sure spot the baits and lures that have been handled with DEET. And you won't like the results.

It will eat monofilament fishing line acording to my friends.
    I would use it carefully as it would surely have some negative affect on the fishing.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I know guys with high end fly rods that won't use any bug spray while they are fishing with those expensive jobs. I've never seen any adverse effects on my line or rods however I generally try to keep it off of everything. I buy the little orange squirt bottle and shoot it all over my fishing hat, clothes, face, neck etc. and I can typically do that without getting it on my hands. Seems to be a good comprimise.

Yup, DEET is hell on plastics and paints. Lean against your $40,000.00 truck with DEET on your hands, and you can hand it down to your kids with your fingerprints permanently enshrined in the paint job. The guys who keep it away from their expensive fly rods are not crazy; those of us who put the stuff on our bodies might be. It works to confuse the sensory organs of mosquitos and other insects; it's easy to imagine fish are put off by it too.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

After watching 100% Deet peel off fingernail polish I've stopped using it especially since taking more expensive gear into the field i.e. rain gear, tent etc.

Not exactly on topic but I know a great many Southerners use WD40 on worms as a definate fish attractant. So using it to keep your hooks in good shape ought not be detrimental to hookups.

Watch this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUosI4YQook
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Tradition to lube up herring with WD40.

No doubt it will peel paint, eat through plastic and mono, rain gear, in no time.
    No way I'm putting that stuff on my body or having it anywhere near my gear, I've had just as good of luck with Off and Repel with no deet added at all as Ive had with Bens.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Yup, DEET is hell on plastics and paints. Lean against your $40,000.00 truck with DEET on your hands, and you can hand it down to your kids with your fingerprints permanently enshrined in the paint job. The guys who keep it away from their expensive fly rods are not crazy; those of us who put the stuff on our bodies might be. It works to confuse the sensory organs of mosquitos and other insects; it's easy to imagine fish are put off by it too.
    Yup....say what about the Thermacells, they hang in a holster on your side and emit repellent...got a couple on the recommendation of a prominent forum member who shall remain unnamed...going to try them in a couple days up there...guess that volatized insecticide will get in the respiratory system...

When the bugs are bad, we wear long clothes, light gloves, and a ballcap with a headnet over it, that's always been a good way to avoid the deet....

Well, I gotta go check my thermacell repellents and see if they are deet based...shucks, one of them is earth scent, was hoping to use it for early elk hunting, maybe I should find out if halibut like it first!

I'm with you Ron, I use the thermacell & the coils that burn.
    It doesn't even take the high % deet to eat through mono, it will weaken you line & make breaking off really easy. Last year my wife was having a bad day took her till her 5th hook up to get a king in the net on the river & she swears up & down I was the one who got the bug dope on her line /reel. I will say her line was easy to break for 25lb or 30lb test what ever it was.

The only thing that will make a Salom run away faster then deet is good old Seal oil! Pro Cure has done tests and the results are way cool, you can take the guy who has the best bait in the world and with just a few drops of deet or Seal oil and you will drive him crazy

I don't think i'd get too excited about the health effects simply becuase it will melt polymers, thats simple chemistry. There are types of plastic baits that melt together when they touch each other, doesn't mean they'll kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I don't think i'd get too excited about the health effects simply becuase it will melt polymers, thats simple chemistry. There are types of plastic baits that melt together when they touch each other, doesn't mean they'll kill you.
    Every human function, indeed our very existence, boils down to "simple chemestry"....
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Good thing were not made of plastic!

Disclaimer: I'm .03% owner of a deet producing company (401k)...

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Well no it may not kill you but it sure as hell ain't good for you neither. I remember hearing on the news that a number of young children were highly allergic to the stuff and was making them pretty sick. We never put it on our kids when they were little that's for sure......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast