Thread: Delta Clearwater Advice

Default Delta Clearwater Advice

I am looking for some advice for a Delta Clearwater float trip in July. I am bringing my family up there with me. If you have some helpful advice or tips I would sure appreciate it. If you don't want to share information in public on the forum please send me a pm. The information I am looking for specifically are things like can you camp on the river? If not, where do you suggest I camp? If I float it in a day rather than camp on the river, could I stash a bike at the Delta Clearwater Lake somewhere and ride it back to the state park to pick up my vehicle? I don't want to have to drive two vehicles up to Delta Junction if I don't have to. Is there a taxi cab or shuttle service available in Delta Junction? If so, what is the name and phone number of the cab or shuttle service? How easy is it to find the Delta Clearwater Lake outlet where it runs into the Tanana? Is there a sign there that is easy to find? Is it easy to miss? Any advice you may have or are willing to share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

To be honest with you depending on your application i.e. what type of boat you using. You might be better off floating out to the Tanana versus coming back through the lake "Just food for thought" Have you been out to the States web site concerning the rec use area?

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/deltajct/clearwtr.htm

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/deltajct/floatgde.htm

I have not heard of any business that offers shuttle service sorry. Might want to call the Local ADF&G about state land in the area available for camping.

Really its not that big of a thing Bushwack, you can Float the river in a day easy. There are a couple of spots you can camp after you pass private land, and yes they have a sign there at the mouth telling you where the lake is. Stay left when the water turns muddy and when you see a big open spot in the near future of your float Stay Left, lol. It might look small , the slough, but it has a nice camping spot just up around the coner with bbq. grills and a pavallion if nobody eles is there.

Its about a 8-10 mile bike ride to the other landing.

If you hit me in the morning I'd be more than willing to get you to and from the landings, my evenings are questionable due to pain killers.

Grew up on the Lake and River. Let me know Rock.

Thanks for the advice BlueMoose and Rock Skipper. Your ideas are helpful. Rock Skipper, when you say there are a couple of spots to camp after you pass private land, do you mean on the river itself, or at the Clearwater Lake? Thanks again for your help.

On the river before you get to the Tanana. Also you can camp at a couple of good places on the outlet into the lake. There is no private land on the outlet, but the fishing is'nt as good as the river.

Give me a shout when you are headed down and I can give you a good idea of the lay of the land. You have to go right by me to get there, lol.

Curious about this also. is it possible to float it with a drift boat? launch at both ends or is it a raft only kind of trip?

ak, its any kinda boat after June 1rst, and with all the rain we had in the last week I'd almost say you could use a prop to the lodge, lol. (Everything is almost at flood stage right now, including all the tributaries that feed the Tanana

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    ak, its any kinda boat after June 1rst, and with all the rain we had in the last week I'd almost say you could use a prop to the lodge, lol. (Everything is almost at flood stage right now, including all the tributaries that feed the Tanana
    how is it later in the year? throughout fall?

Quote Originally Posted by ak_logan View Post
    how is it later in the year? throughout fall?
    My favorite place, I fish it until my line freezes in my rod.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    My favorite place, I fish it until my line freezes in my rod.

Yep! Exactly why I come up every year. Coming up tomorrow and we will be on the water through the weekend. I doubt the water clarity will be too terrible, weather calls for partly cloudy through the weekend.

Guess i should have made my question more clear. I was more asking how the water is later in the year for drift boat access.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_logan View Post
    Guess i should have made my question more clear. I was more asking how the water is later in the year for drift boat access.

You should have no trouble with a drift boat from Delta Clear Water park out to the ramp at the Richardson Highway. It will just be a long float.
    Founding Member

Default shuttle?

Is there are shuttle that may go from the bridge back to the Clearwater Park? I may do this trip on Sunday with my daughter but am having trouble finding another partner so leaving a vehicle at the take out is posing a problem.

I clocked it yesterday and from the Park to the take out is just over 15 miles. My other option may be to put my bike in the raft but after a day of floating Im not sure what I think about that one.

Thanks
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by plentycoupe View Post
    Is there are shuttle that may go from the bridge back to the Clearwater Park? I may do this trip on Sunday with my daughter but am having trouble finding another partner so leaving a vehicle at the take out is posing a problem.

I clocked it yesterday and from the Park to the take out is just over 15 miles. My other option may be to put my bike in the raft but after a day of floating Im not sure what I think about that one.

Thanks
    Jason
    No shuttle that I know about.
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    No shuttle that I know about.
    THanks Steve.

Shoot me a call if you dont have plans and wanna do the float.