Thread: Fobs

Default Fobs

What kind of results are you guys having using fobs?

I'm toying with the idea of going to drop away rest from the bisquit and was wondering if anyone is using fobs. Their web site seems to be pretty positive but then they are trying to sell them.

http://www.starrflight.com/order-now.php
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

A number of forum members are using FOBs, myself included. I love them and don't see any reason to ever go back to fletchings. Member Marc Taylor is a huge proponent of them and has a lot of details on why they're the way to go - perhaps he will chime in here.

Lots of previous talk on them.

Either shooters love them or hate them. I personally like them.

You can **** practice FOBS til they break apart.

FOBS pop off on a pass through which are a nice indicator where as fetching can tear.

2 second replacement.

No gluing.

FOBS shine on long distance allowing great stability.

Just wanted to say thanks for bringing these to my attention. Been getting pretty pissed off with fletching mantainence lately, this might be just the answer. Now off to archery talk to see how these perform on a flipper rest/plunger rest, or if they require a dropaway or shoot through.

I use a Ripcord and its timed primo. No issues whatsoever.

Good to hear on the FOBS. How do they work with heavy (160 gr) broadheads?

I'm thinking about an Apache carbon drop away. Anyone try them?
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

I've had great results with 125 gr. broadheads and a ripcord rest. Can't think of a reason they wouldn't work with a heavier broadhead. Probably been mentioned but a huge key is to ensure your fall away rest is tuned just right. Initially I was having trouble with the FOBs hitting the rest and cracking/breaking...once I got that straightened they've performed flawlessly.
    Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes. ~Wilde

Fawkes23,

You must use a drop away with FOBs.

I bought a NAP Apache and put it on my Martin single cam. I can't believe the accuracy improvement over a Whisker Biscuit!! The Apache has cut my 30 yds groups from 3-4" to 2" or sometimes 3 arrows touching. I've never been able to shoot at 30yds like that before. My 40 yard groups are 6" down from 8 or 9" but I believe that is eye related and not the equipment related. I'm still inside a 9" circle at 47 yds. I only use 3 pins so the holdover beyond 40 yds may account for some of the slop. The drop away really makes a big differance in accuracy...at least for me.

I ordered a set of FOBs and some cheap carbon shafts and we'll see how they work with broadheads. If you can believe the sales pitch they are supposed to make arrow flight a lot more stable...we'll see.

A little short FOB report. FOBs and new 28" shafts (5570) arrived and set up 4 arrows with 125 gr target points. I shot at 20 yds and the first 2 arrows touched so I moved back to 40 yds and flung the 4 arrows guided by the FOBs. Not to comment on my normal accuracy but all 4 arrows flew perfectly straight and were at least as accurate as the same arrows were with 2" vanes. I was very impressed with the penetration (picture) since the arrows with vanes did NOT penetrate the target. All were shot at 40 yds pulling 60lbs thru the Apache rest.

I'm going to put some broadheads on the arrows and see how they do with the FOBs and also wind. Today was perfectly calm and one of the claims is the FOBs do really well in the wind...we'll see how that works out. I'm going to try 2 blade cut on contact and some 3 and 4 blade broadheads that don't normally do too well accuracy wise. So far, the FOBs look like good thing.

How did the field test go on the FOBs with the wind and 3/4 blade broadheads? I'm considering getting myself some when I get back to AK this fall.

Thanks!
    God is my strong fortress...
    He makes me as surefooted as a deer, enabling me to stand on mountain heights.
    He trains my hands for battle; he strengthens my arm to draw a bronze bow.
    2 Samuel 22:33

I've had concerns with the flight of arrows with broadheads also.

When shooting broadheads with regular vaned arrows, seems like fly like knuckle-balls; and that wind excites them a bit or exaggerates the knuckle-ball action. With FOBS, yes, they are vaned but the circular fletching seems stabilize their flight more than just plain fletchings. (eg remove/reduce that knuckle-ball action). And with FOB's I seem to care less about the alignment/orientation of the broadhead relative to the fletchings.

I shot some 3 blade Muzzy and they seem to shoot low and to the left about 4" at 40 yds but are pretty consistant so it may just take a sight adjustment with those. Some old Bear 2 blade vented shot pretty much point of aim but 3-4" low and pretty consistant also. The wind was 90* to arrow flight and was a fairly steady ~10 knots.

I tried field points again just before a thunder storm when the wind was gusting pretty bad and they were all over the place as I expected...probably not a fair test of anything shot from a bow.

I guess I have not shot enough to make a guess on how the FOBS perform in the wind with broadheads. Ive shot 25 arrows with each broadhead and they seem consistant but to be fair I should shoot at least that many in all 4 or 8 directions into and away from the wind to really have a good idea what they will do but I can't shoot that many arrows at one sitting to really get a good feel.

I'm not ready to step out on the limb yet and say if they work or not in the wind.

Thanks for the good review. Planning to buy a pack now and try some out myself when I get back this winter
    God is my strong fortress...
    He makes me as surefooted as a deer, enabling me to stand on mountain heights.
    He trains my hands for battle; he strengthens my arm to draw a bronze bow.
    2 Samuel 22:33

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    I shot some 3 blade Muzzy and they seem to shoot low and to the left about 4" at 40 yds but are pretty consistant so it may just take a sight adjustment with those. Some old Bear 2 blade vented shot pretty much point of aim but 3-4" low and pretty consistant also. The wind was 90* to arrow flight and was a fairly steady ~10 knots.

I tried field points again just before a thunder storm when the wind was gusting pretty bad and they were all over the place as I expected...probably not a fair test of anything shot from a bow.

I guess I have not shot enough to make a guess on how the FOBS perform in the wind with broadheads. Ive shot 25 arrows with each broadhead and they seem consistant but to be fair I should shoot at least that many in all 4 or 8 directions into and away from the wind to really have a good idea what they will do but I can't shoot that many arrows at one sitting to really get a good feel.

I'm not ready to step out on the limb yet and say if they work or not in the wind.
    OK...I'm on the limb and I'm pretty sure now that the FOBs do better in the wind than regular vanes or feathers. I believe this is because of the smaller profile of the the FOB compared to other stabalizing stuff.

I used 28" Carbon Express with a 2 blade ventilated Bear cut on contact broadhead with all arrows shot. Shot at 58 lbs using an Apache drop-away rest. I did 40yd shots in 90* cross wind, quartering from the front and back in about 15 mph wind and I did some 90* shots from behind my shop with the target 10yds past the edge of the shop which was blocking the wind expect for the last 10 yds of flight. I shot 5 arrows of each at all 3 angles into, across and with the wind at 45*.

Factoring in some slop in my shots, the FOBs shot into 90* wind about 2-3" better than 2" vanes and maybe 4" better than 5" feathers. Because this is not very scientific I'm less convinved that the 45* FOB shots into the wind and with the wind had less effect or better said FOBs weren't that much better than the others.

Bottom line, I like the FOBs and I think they do give some advantage in the wind and I'm still seeing better penetration overall in the target with the FOBs. What I don't like is they and the nock fall off the arrow shaft all too often. It may be they don't fit properly but I don't think that is the cause for any bad shots since they fall off after hitting the target which I guess is what they are designed to do anyway. Our bow season starts 7 Sep so I will try the FOBs on meat and see what happens but I suspect that if I do my part I'll be gutting and skining that evening using the FOBs.

I'm interested in hearing from others who use FOBs and see if the results are consistant with mine. Shoot straight and good luck guys!!

Default Fobs

I like em. Can't stack groups like vanes but you can shoot em until the core cracks thiugh I would always hunt with new.

Only gripe is stacking arrows on the quiver. I only get 3 in any more the FOBs touch so I load 2 FOBless arrows.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Lowrider
    I also shoot a three pin sight but wanted a little more distance. I went to 20 yard spacing and can shoot out to 70 with great accuracy. Took a little getting use to gap shooting in between. (still hold my hunting distance to 40 or less) I don't recommend trying it during hunting season as it took several weeks to get comfortable with the change

Fergy,

I do gap shoot and have my pins set at 20. 30 and 40 yds. I don't really need a 10 yd pin and wouldn't shoot over 40 yds..well maybe be a little bit. I just put a 5 pin on another bow to give it a try and I'm finding the pins are so close together that it is rather difficult to use in low light...can't see the target between the glowing pins. Guess that is the price of a flat shooting bow. I have thought about a single pin but they seem like they take too much time to set up and if the critter is moving toward or away from you it needs to be adjusted all the time. If anyone has had good luck with a single pin I'm interested in your opinions.

TWB,

I'm having the same problem. I have saved 8 FOBs for hunting and I'm using tubes in my practice quiver which seems to help.

I tried the fobs and I shoot a Black Gold single slider. Sight goes 20 to 70, I practice at 60 most of the time and set it at 40 when I'm hunting. I practice with the 40 shooting 20 to 60 so if I don't have time to adjust I'm good. Liked the fobs, but here in the "jungles" of the Oregon coast, I was pretty much leaving a trail of fobs after going thru brush/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Fergy,

I do gap shoot and have my pins set at 20. 30 and 40 yds. I don't really need a 10 yd pin and wouldn't shoot over 40 yds..well maybe be a little bit. I just put a 5 pin on another bow to give it a try and I'm finding the pins are so close together that it is rather difficult to use in low light...can't see the target between the glowing pins. Guess that is the price of a flat shooting bow. I have thought about a single pin but they seem like they take too much time to set up and if the critter is moving toward or away from you it needs to be adjusted all the time. If anyone has had good luck with a single pin I'm interested in your opinions.

TWB,

I'm having the same problem. I have saved 8 FOBs for hunting and I'm using tubes in my practice quiver which seems to help.
    Sorry for the confussion, when I said gap shooting. I moved my pins to 20,40,60 for the reason you stated. It gave the bigger gap that took me alittle to get use to. The benifit was it allowed me to stay within my hunting limits, but I can target shoot the longer ranges without changing my setup. 5 pin sites did not work for me either and you don't want my opinion of a single pin. To much to work with at the time of need.