Thread: Unit 13 moose/caribou hunting pressure for this fall

Default Unit 13 moose/caribou hunting pressure for this fall

With all the new found teir 1 caribou tags coupled with the moose hunting requirements to hunt unit 13 if you have a tag i'm curious to see how many folks are planning on hitting unit 13 for moose this fall. last year i seen more hunters out remote (fly in) than i had in the last 14 years. 9 super cubs in one day, hadn't seen more than one a fall in over a decade.
    The applicants for the teir 1 tag has trippled in the last three years (if i recal, maybe someone has the real numbers) which puts alot of hunters in the situation to start getting creative with their moose hunting...
    i don't see why moose should be piggybacked on a caribou tag but apparently BOG feels its good for something...but i'm not seeing it.
    I'll be out in 13 this fall looking for caribou, just wondered what others thoughts were.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    With all the new found teir 1 caribou tags coupled with the moose hunting requirements to hunt unit 13 if you have a tag i'm curious to see how many folks are planning on hitting unit 13 for moose this fall. last year i seen more hunters out remote (fly in) than i had in the last 14 years. 9 super cubs in one day, hadn't seen more than one a fall in over a decade.
    The applicants for the teir 1 tag has trippled in the last three years (if i recal, maybe someone has the real numbers) which puts alot of hunters in the situation to start getting creative with their moose hunting...
    i don't see why moose should be piggybacked on a caribou tag but apparently BOG feels its good for something...but i'm not seeing it.
    I'll be out in 13 this fall looking for caribou, just wondered what others thoughts were.
    The moose are included since they are typically related on the subsistance side. Also, if the moose requirement wasn't included, you would probably have seen the applications for Nelchina Tier I caribou go up 10x or more rather than just triple. I know I would have gone for it if it didn't limit my moose hunting opportunities. Heck, everyone would have gone for it just as a backup option if their other hunts didn't pan out.

Here's my thoughts:

Every time I munch on a piece of nelchina caribou, I wish it was moose meat........spike fork moose meat to be more precise. My plan........agonizing pain, blisters on feet and hands, and my rent is already paid alllllll the way through september. I will be gone for 45 days scouting, searching, and getting away from the crowds. I have a friend that is willing to let me keep a freezer plugged in up in unit 13, so when I shoot one of those bland flavored nelchina bou.......I'll call it in and store it same day, and head back out for moose scouting. Not one inch of my hunting grounds will go unscouted. Lot's of free time, days n days of time to dial in. By the time opening day hits, a bull moose will practically fall into my boat.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    The moose are included since they are typically related on the subsistance side. Also, if the moose requirement wasn't included, you would probably have seen the applications for Nelchina Tier I caribou go up 10x or more rather than just triple. I know I would have gone for it if it didn't limit my moose hunting opportunities. Heck, everyone would have gone for it just as a backup option if their other hunts didn't pan out.
    Amen to that!
    I know of a few guys that put in for it because it was guaranteed they would get it. In their minds, a guaranteed tag must mean there are tons of caribou out there! They are not focusing on moose, but wouldn't hesitate to shoot at a legal bull if one crossed thier path. It will force a moose hunter farther into the back country I suppose....
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

I agree with skier, that's why I don't put in for the tier. I did still hunt moose with my dad in 13 last year and we were successful in filling his tag...on a Wednesday! I've been hunting in there for a few, seen more people last year than all the others combined!

Last year was my first for caribou. I had a draw tag, bull only (Which I filled). This year I got teir 1, and I am hoping the heard numbers will be similar to last year (or better). Last year I saw bou within range every day, but it was tough finding one I could confirm was a bull.
    I think the moose hunting restriction is purely to limit the number of people that apply.

I'll be out there looking for bou, and briefly for moose but I won't have a lot of time for moose. I've only got about 1 week and most of that week will be before the Moose season starts.

We have the Tier I tag for teh 2nd year in a row, and just like last year, moose will be pretty low on our priority list. We'll be sheep hunting when the season starts, then around the 18th we'll spend two weekends in a row trying to fill our tag and helping a number of friends get afield in an attempt to fill theirs. Once September rolls around the priority will be my wife's goat hunt. I've got a couple of places where a day hunt for moose is doable, so I'll almost certainly give it a token effort, but likely nothing too serious. I saw a bull with 2" spike antlers about a week ago, and though I figure there's very little chance that he'll still be around come September, I'll probably run up there some evening after work. It's too bad that I don't have more time to devote to it, as I've got an area in 13 that I'm dying to explore (saw six or seven 50"+ bulls within five miles of each other in October a couple of years ago), but that will likely have to wait for another year.

[QUOTE=Brian M;1139741 It's too bad that I don't have more time to devote to it, as I've got an area in 13 that I'm dying to explore (saw six or seven 50"+ bulls within five miles of each other in October a couple of years ago), but that will likely have to wait for another year.[/QUOTE]

Why wait? Tell me where its at and I will go check it out this season for ya
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGAKSTUFF View Post
    Don't worry.... with 5,000+ Tier 1 tags out there, it will be explored. Probably pics and a story on this forum.

I looked up the numbers from last year back in February. There was an additional 2,000 applying this year - over 5,000 tags now.

With the reports of easy road hunting - guilty - there probably were a lot of new applicants.

Now that I am following the Primal Blueprint lifestyle I am going to be looking harder for a small bull to share with my buddy....and another bou to fill in the gaps in the freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGAKSTUFF View Post

Quote Originally Posted by .300wby View Post
    Don't worry.... with 5,000+ Tier 1 tags out there, it will be explored. Probably pics and a story on this forum.
    Yeah, I'm sure it's no secret, but I've been hunting Unit 13 since I was a kid (I have a picture of me 20 miles behind Eureka as a 3 month old infant ), and it was the first time I had ever moved through the area. I figure if that many bulls last into October, there's got to be some value in spending time there in September. Another year, perhaps...

I'm betting hunting pressure will be fairly high on the roads and trails it usually is when the herd nears the roads...the trick will be getting out on foot. I've been hunting 13 a lot the last few years and there are some fantastic areas accessible on foot.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I was there last year for the caribou and the moose opener. It seemed like the caribou had a lot of serious meat hunters who knew their way around on opening day, and then a lot of day-hunters for moose with a caribou permit in their back pocket just in case. It took until early December for those 3400 bou to be taken. I'm not too worried about it.

There did seem to be a little more road hunters, but I dont know if you can consider road hunters 'additional hunting pressure'. It's more like 'additional dudes who would take that occasional animal that is miraculously close to the road so they dont have to unload their four-wheeler' pressure.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Forgot, Eureka did look SLAMMED. Never seen so many empty trailers in one parking lot. Made me glad I was driving past it.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Ill be hunting caribou put in hoping my son can get is first one. Its alot cheeper than flying out. Even if he doesnt get one it will be a great time just hunting with him he will be 12 and I enjoy every minute in the field I can with him.
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

I will be up there chasing bou with 5000 of my close friends as well,

That has been my stomping grounds for over 30 years. Last year I truely expected to see many people out there. Certainly the first few miles of trails were crowded, but as I got further back in I actualy only saw a few other hunters passing by during my 5 days in the feild. It is big country and many don't go in very far! Mostly day trip, road hunters I beleive!
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"