Thread: Compact vs quality

Default Compact vs quality

I thin I've decided between two scopes one the vortex razor hd the other leupold goldring hd the leupold is small compact and 40 times magnification great clarity and compact but not as much as the vortex which is also a 60 times magnification. Not sure which way is best to go the smaller less magnifies butter compact way or better clarity and magnification but bigger and Its quit a bit bigger I'll be stationed in the Fairbanks area going to buy in the next few days please any feedback would help

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?l4noli

I would go with quality. I have bought several VORTEX Vipers recently and like them more than my leupolds. They are a great scope for the money, I have read of people having problems with the lower end vortex scopes but not the vipers. I have no experience with the razor, but since it is a step above the viper I think it would be a winner. Might look at Nightforce also they make a great product that is bullet proof and customer service is superb. A little more than the Razor though.

Are you talking spotting scopes?

The very BEST that you can afford will save you money in the long run, and enhance the quality of your Alaska outdoor experiences.

Really depends on what you are doing. I switched to an 85mm spotter so I could judge rams at 2+ miles, but I like sheep hunting more than most. However, for general purpose moose and caribou I think the big glass is excessively heavy and bulky. Takes up most of my day pack! You aren't going to go wrong with either one, but suspect you would actually carry the Leupold more. And a really nice spotting scope doesn't do you any good back at the truck...

Yk

I would not go with any 60x unless it's a high end (german) 80-85mm. And even then, I personally wouldn't buy it because of the weight and size.
    If I were looking at mid-range optics, I'd probably grab a vortex viper hd 15-45x65 for $649.99 from camerland right now and pick up the $.01 tripod as well.

Buy the best you can afford, but don't stay home just because you can't afford THE best.
    If you are very lucky in life, you will have one dog.

Quote Originally Posted by GD Yankee View Post
    Are you talking spotting scopes?
    I missed that completely. Leupold Gold Ring is great and very stable, even hoding it freehand.

I am not a fan of Leupold optics other than rifle scopes. I use 60X all the time with my Pentax PF65EDII scope and see no reason why it wouldn't be handy on the Vortex. I wouldn't step up to an 80+mm scope unless it was at least 70X zoom. At 600-700 yards mirage is not too big of an issue and 60x will get you a close look at velvet browtines or sheep lamb tips when compared to 40X. I like getting as close as possible to an animal but I know that the closer you get the more likely you are to get busted. Knowing the animal is legal from a distance keeps you from wasting time once you are in the "red zone" so to speak. I also can't see a time where thesize difference between the leupy and my pentax would be a difference maker between taking a scope or leaving it behind.

I would go with the Vortex, Hate to say it but I think they have it over the Leupold.

Now Im thinking of throwing the Swaro STM into consideration with my military discount can pick one
    Up for about 1600 that's hard to turn down

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?wbv5xz

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota boy View Post
    Now Im thinking of throwing the Swaro STM into consideration with my military discount can pick one
    Up for about 1600 that's hard to turn down

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?wbv5xz
    That's the one to go with.......imo.
    "The emotions that good hunters need to cultivate are love and service more than courage. The sentiments of the hunt then become translated into art." James Swan, In Defense of Hunting