Thread: Sockeye starting to charge into the Kvichak

Default Sockeye starting to charge into the Kvichak

We are seeing some fairly good numbers start to come in now and it will only get better. I have designed a fly to chase these critters to reduce snagging. Partly from discussions here and what I have seen from Kenai fishers coming over here. If it works out like I hope I will photo it and share.

George

I'm impressed that you found time to design a fly with all of your property improvements! You must wait until you are back in the valley to sleep.

Thanks for the update George. It is my personal opinion that excessive snagging of sockeye is due to ignorance more than hook/fly design. I hope your fly design can fix stupid! Not saying I don't occasionally rip into a dorsel or tail, it happens.

I think 90 percent of those people would find the hook in the mouth if they would move their sinkers further up the line. Hey George……….let us know how the fly works and post a pic! I am pretty sure reds will move and strike a fly if it looks like some thing they eat in the ocean…….I have pretty good luck with a couple flys that mimic their diet on the kenai.

Thanks for the comments guys, when I get some time and the fish are in heavier I will put it to the test. Sleep, what is that?

Technique and feel are everything with the flossing, just trying to cut the curve down.

George