Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Seminar????

Default Seminar????

As many of you know I guided for fly fishing for many years and was a casting instructor. I've gotten tons of requests for info and help from beginner and intermediate level fly fishermen (women too maybe?) I'm thinking it maybe easier for me too just do a free seminar for you guys. Just a impromptu casual get together/class. We could cove whatever you guys wanted and get your cast tuned up for spring. Like I say just looking to help you guys out, help advance the sport and frankly get me out of the house for a day.
    So I would like too know
    1) How many folks would be interested? (come on now don't be shy I only look like I bite)
    2) What subjects you would like to cover?(setting up gear, fly selection, ect)
    3) Basic experience level of interested folks?
    4) If your interested your local? (so we can pick a spot to gather that's easy for everyone to get too)
    5) Do you already have gear? (might be a good chance for some who want to try it before they buy gear?)

Also if you already sent me a contact number please resend it via PM. I accidentally dumped a bunch of messages I was trying to save in a folder. Ya I know I'm a computer moron! But that is one of the dangers of working with unfamiliar equipment at 4am while trying to fight off a wicked case of insomnia.

Take care all
    Rick P

It actually sounds like a fun idea. I'm so new to fly fishing and really haven't had anybody to show me the correct way of doing stuff.

So what can you teach an old woman that can't grasp a fly rod handle with a full grip? (had injury to both hands and no use of the pinkies and the hands don't close all the way)

I might be interested. I would say I am an intermediate, but I would also like to get my girl friend and little brother involved they would be beginers.
    I have fly rods for all three of us.

Sounds like fun. I've been fly fishing since about 1980, but it might be nice to figure out some of my bad habits .
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default count me in

i'd definitely be into that... for myself, and to be able to teach my clients better. i struggle teaching beginners at times, so you can probably be a real asset to me in that sense. thanks for the offer - great idea.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Error made in post resubmitted bellow

Well sounds like this is off and running. Lets give folks a few days to respond to this thread and go from there. Looking forward to meeting with all of you.

Akelf let me give it some thought but I bet I can get you casting well enough to go after Grayling it would be helpful to see how much use of your hands you have. I could probably come up with some modifications to the rod that would at least help.

I'm really getting excited about this
    Rick P

Rick,
    I'm definitely interested. Been flyfishing for years but learned mostly from watching others. Many times I resort to a sort of flicking type cast because my gear is too heavy or my cast too weak to properly place my line. Worked well so far but sure I could benefit from some expert instruction. I vote for any evening after 6PM or early Sat. Thanks so much for your spirit and committment to the sport. Take care
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post

Akelf let me give it some thought but I bet I can get you casting well enough to go after Grayling it would be helpful to see how much use of your hands you have. I could probably come up with some modifications to the rod that would at least help.

I'm really getting excited about this
    Rick P
    Sure sounds like fun..I fished last year and wrangled in some Salmon and Dollies. But I know I need some help.lol

Picked up the fly rod last year and had fun catching a few but not as efficient as others with a rod. My cast is ok but could be better. I would be interested in casting and presentation pointers for an so-so intermediate fly fisher.

Default Little Help

Rick I tend to get real busy this time of year however if you have a large turnout and would like some help let me know I will try and make it down in your neck of the woods.

Been teaching Fly Fishing for well over 20 years and still continue to teach would love to lend a hand.

Moose-O

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    Rick I tend to get real busy this time of year however if you have a large turnout and would like some help let me know I will try and make it down in your neck of the woods.

Been teaching Fly Fishing for well over 20 years and still continue to teach would love to lend a hand.

Moose-O

That would be great I'm kinda rusty myself, it's been about 6 or 7 years since I taught a class. Looks like this is off to a great start though.

Are most of those interested in the Anchorage/ Valley area?

Take care
    Rick P

i'm in the valley.... until late may, then soldotna.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

My experience and needs mirror Alaska riverrat. I figure in order to take it to the next level I am gonna need some help. Would love to be involved if the timings right.

C.F.

I am in Anchorage during the week and in the valley on weekends but would be willing to come out on a weekday evening if thats what works for people.

Dave

If it works with my schedule, I'd love to be there. I'm in Eagle River, but would be happy to run out to the valley.

Either valley or anchorage is good -- when?

I'm in Anchorage.....

Default Fly casting

Hello all, my name is Andy Audap, and I've been watching this forum for quite a few months but have only made a couple posts. This forum business is kinda new to me, but fly fishing is not. I have been casting flies for 32 of my 42 years. I guided out of Juneau for quite a few years and recently moved to Palmer. No, I'm not actively guiding anymore, but I have taught many hundreds of people how to cast, and have helped many intermediate casters to advance as well. I don't know much about the local fishing scene (I moved here in Nov. '06). I'd be interested in helping out on the instruction, as well as learning a few things from some of you as well. It's been a few years since I instructed, and it'd be nice to scrape off some of the rust. If you'd like some help, let me know. Thanks, Andy (Goosegrass)

I'm starting to wonder if I should step aside for the good of the group. Several others including Goosegrass and Blue moose have more time on Alaskan salmon streams and have taught more recently than I. My experience is geared more towards dry fly fishing. And I spend most of my stream time dry fly fishing high country streams for Grayling and Char. It seems that most here are geared more towards Salmon and Goosegrass or markw3 would be able to do a better job teaching Salmon fishing on a fly than I.

Rick P

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast