Thread: Catching chums/reds In the salt

Default Catching chums/reds In the salt

Anyone have any ideas on catchin chums or reds out of Whittier. I've never fished for tthem in the ocean so I don't quite know what to expect. Is it similar to Fishin for silvers just deeper? How should I rig up? Mooching, trolling a plug cut herring, spoons, etc... Any input is appreciated.

Thanks...Adam

I caught as many chums as I wanted to yesterday in saltwater, I was throwing a #3 silver vibrax spinner with a colorado blade. I was reeling it as slow as possible while still having the blade turning, great fun on steelhead or trout gear, there we're all small though about 1-3lbs. Good luck.

Here in Southeast, the Chums start getting picked up between now through July. Use the same tackle as the spawning Kings and Cohos (herring, spoons, hoochie, etc). 50' down more or less. I've never saltwater fished reds, but it's my understanding the Sockeyes feed on microorganisms, so normal baits won't work for them. I've heard small red hooks. Most people just wait to net them in the streams around here though.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_mathews View Post
    Anyone have any ideas on catchin chums or reds out of Whittier. I've never fished for tthem in the ocean so I don't quite know what to expect. Is it similar to Fishin for silvers just deeper? How should I rig up? Mooching, trolling a plug cut herring, spoons, etc... Any input is appreciated.

Thanks...Adam

Use an alaskan silver lady for the reds at the bays. Sharpen your propeller up real good before you go in.

translation: Weighted snagging treble hook near the terminals at the hatcheries. There are lots of commercial boats fishing in PWS right now (or will be during the weekend - if I could just find the schedules) so you will have to spend some time navigating the bays. Most of the runs of sockeye in the sound are hatchery raised fish, we are lucky that the kind commercial fisheries allows us sportfisherman to harvest some.

Thanks...Adam
    Try a Silver Horde Michael Bait in purple (0043) for chums behind an 11" flasher. I am not sure how much the flasher color matters, but I have seen several boats using purple flashers with flat, not textured, foil. Troll at ~1 kt 50' down. That is the typical set-up I have seen in the Southeast. There were at least 40 commercial boats out fishing for chums off of Homeshore when I went by last week. They are trolling so slowly you have to watch them for a while to convince yourself that they are moving at all. I have caught just a few on standard coho gear, fishing a little deeper than usual, i.e. 50' - 70'.

The only sockeye I ever caught was on a 5" green and white hoochie I was dragging for feeder kings. I don't recommend that as a good set-up for sockeye. A red Michael Bait cut down to about 1", other mini-hoochie, or just a bare red hook is what many people use.

Big_E

Thanks for all the input. Any idea on where to locate chums out of Whittier? Were heading down towards main bay to camp and wouldn't mind fishing for chums along the way if we can find some. Thanks

Thanks for all the input. Any idea on where to locate chums out of Whittier? Were heading down towards main bay to camp and wouldn't mind fishing for chums along the way if we can find some. Thanks
    Hatchery bay on ester island

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

When are you heading to Main Bay? You might want to check the "commercial fish opener information ? " thread first. Main bay will likely be busy with commercial activity this weekend.

Yea I believe they can fish until 8:00 pm on Saturday night. But my buddy said their not actually fishing inside the bay so there's plenty of room to camp once inside...assuming you can get it.