Thread: Should I bring a comealong on my moose hunt?

Default Should I bring a comealong on my moose hunt?

We are doing a float moose hunt this fall. I'd like opinions on bringing along a comealong or not. Is it worth it

Depends on what it is. If it's a cheap cable come-along, then no. I've noticed that the cable come alongs can be exceeded by it's weight limit, and grenade into pieces. A freind of mine lost a finger using one to pull out a small snow machine. For years now, I've been using a 150 ft. rope in combo with a ratchet rope. They are heavy, but STRONG. I've used it to pull moose out of the water, and snowmachines out of the water. This past season, a forum member and I pulled out one snowmachine hooked to another with the ratchet rope. They both had full tanks and I would put the weight somewhere around a thousand pounds. What stopped me, was a creek rock got stuck between my track and my tunnel. So the load acted like a break too, since the track was seized.....still pulled our machines out of the water. Same with my moose, I gave him a 50 yd. pull onto dry land. The rope gives you good distance.

Chainsaw wench. My uncles always have one. Not sure what the weight limits are, or if they are pushing it too far tho. So far it seems to be fine.

http://akcooltools.com/hitchmaster.html

I've used one of these a couple times....pretty good utility and takes up little space and weight.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

ok so first of all i would ask this question in the float hunting forum because float hunting is a bit different than atv etc hunting, as far as gear is concerned.

my opinion is that you will definitely have a much higher probability to shoot an animal and it end up in or near water. so with that being said i would definitely recommend a quality winching device.

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    http://akcooltools.com/hitchmaster.html

I've used one of these a couple times....pretty good utility and takes up little space and weight.
    Hodge what were your experiences? I've been looking at them.

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Hodge what were your experiences? I've been looking at them.
    We used one to pull a hydrolocked ATV out of the water....probably a 40' pull and 10' vertical with a pretty good current. I wasn't too impressed when my buddy pulled it out from under the seat. It was a bit fiddly to set up but when we started pulling the machine popped right out. I was impressed then. Cheap, small and effective.

Later, on another hunt, we lifted a caribou by the hocks to skin it. Not nearly the pull the ATV was but lifting a couple hundred pounds or so straight up was easy.

Not the best product for every job but very small and lightweight and when coupled with a few lengths of poly rope very versatile.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Oh yea, bring something to make a big mechanical advantage. The rescue boater people are good at making a mechanical advantage with carabiners and rope. Pulleys work way better, but if you have enough biners, you can make a 6 to 1 system. I guess it depends on how much weight you want to carry. I am in a jet boat, so a beefy system is handy. A raft, not as much.

http://www.gemplers.com/product/1259...th-Rope-Puller

I have used one of these for a bunch of stuff, and to pull a small moose. A snatch block helps give a three to one pulley set up. All you need is a good anchoring system. I have used the cable ones, and never again. They bind and don't pull very far. This one weighs about the same and is much more versatile.

I really like the idea of the hitch master. I would want to play with it a bunch before I took it out. It has potential and I like the portability.

Yes,, have needed one twice and was glad to have it both times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BQtl2DVxKI
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Just be careful with the darn thing out remote. A buddy had one grenade on him last year and he is lucky to still be able to count to 10 without having to remove his socks!

a lot of you might not realize that there is a way better tool out there, the ROPE WINCH. it's a lever-crank winch similar to a come-along except that you can use whatever length of rope you want, 100 feet or 1000 feet or more. a come-along is almost useless IMO. a block and tackle is good, but not great. the rope winch is what you need. Lehmans and a few other companies sell them.

Quote Originally Posted by theunseenowl View Post
    a lot of you might not realize that there is a way better tool out there, the ROPE WINCH. it's a lever-crank winch similar to a come-along except that you can use whatever length of rope you want, 100 feet or 1000 feet or more. a come-along is almost useless IMO. a block and tackle is good, but not great. the rope winch is what you need. Lehmans and a few other companies sell them.
    I already mentioned it as the first reply to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by 450grandpa View Post
    We are doing a float moose hunt this fall. I'd like opinions on bringing along a comealong or not. Is it worth it
    I shot a moose a few years ago that died with his back braced up against a big 'tundra hump'. This was a 'walk in only' area so I had no wheeler. For the life of me, I couldn't roll him over, a comealong would have been pretty sweet to have right about then!

The moose I shot last year died on a the side of a good-sized, pretty steep hill. My dad had a comealong with him, and we hooked it up to the antlers and pulled him up a little ways onto a spot that was sort of flat. We left him hooked up so he didn't roll down the hill into a nasty alder forest..... Very easy gut job, the insides all rolled right on down the hill!
    So yes, a comealong is worth it.
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

The weight don't mean a darned thing either, when you consider how much meat will be in the boat, or the thousand+ lbs of moose you need to move around for field dressing.

Hodgeman: Excellent recommendation!

The ability to combine the rope winch with the hitchmaster (or similar block and tackle) makes for a nice recovery system.

The hitchmaster could be easily rigged to something more like a 2:1? or 4:1? combination.... therefore, one wouldn't need to ratchet in 60 feet of line to move 10 feet.

The hitchmaster allows one to get up to a 6:1 theoretical advantage. Add a second one (per their instructions) to obtain a theoretical 12:1 advantage. I haven't yet needed to use the hitchmaster in the 12:1 configuration, nor carry enough continuous rope to rely on such a benefit.

On a side note: I've seen several posts about how members regularly burn up their winches. If they are running them till they stall (like their desire for larger winches would suggest); IMO, they would benefit greatly from the finesse obtained via the hitchmaster (or block and tackle) than an extra 1000 pounds of winch capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Yes, have needed one twice and was glad to have it both times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BQtl2DVxKI
    Stid: Nice vid.... but the winching (with the cable come-a-long and no apparent mechanical multiplier) is painful to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    I already mentioned it as the first reply to this thread.
    this forum is so goofy, i didn't see your post. it is backwards and I am having a hard time navigating it. some of my posts end up in the middle of a thread, some at the end, some at the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by theunseenowl View Post
    this forum is so goofy, i didn't see your post. it is backwards and I am having a hard time navigating it. some of my posts end up in the middle of a thread, some at the end, some at the beginning.
    Under settings you can change the layout of the forum regarding if it is oldest first or newest on top. I like oldest first so that I start from the oldest message on top and read down toward the latest post at the bottom then reply if I decide to after that. You can also adjust the number of posts shown per page which I max out (40/page) since I have decent "high-speed" internet.

Yeh I'd be snatch blockin that baby.

Lightweight and all purpose- hit the ATV shop for a Warn Winch kit - 2 6ft nylon straps, 2 shackles and 1 snatch block.