Thread: Haul RD Camping

Default Haul RD Camping

My wife and I take a road trip every year for our anniversary. This year we are thinking about the Haul Rd all the way to Deadhorse.

I have a few questions about the trip.

Are there campsites close to the road, or do people just use pullouts?

How far between for fuel stations?

What is the weather like in late August?

We have driven the AlCan, the Cassiar, and the Denali so we know what to expect about road conditions.

I can't believe that no one has responded to your post yet.

I drove that same trip Summer Solstice 2006. (Wow has it been that long already?) There are some BLM campgrounds along the Haul Road, most notably at the Arctic Circle and at a couple of creek crossings, mostly the southern portion of the road. There is also lodging at Coldfoot. I think most people just use any of the MANY pull out areas along the road. When I went, I camped at the Kuparuk River crossing.

To my knowledge, the only fuel available is at the Yukon River crossing (and I'm not positive about that one), at Coldfoot, and at Prudhoe Bay. However, when I was at Prudhoe Bay, the gas station there was closed (it wasn't even a weekend) which meant I had to return to Coldfoot on the fuel in the tank. (I drove a Jetta Diesel, so I actually made the whole round trip on a single tank.)

I don't know about the weather in August, but in June we were wearing fleece jackets.

You can get fuel at the following...

Yukon River Bridge.

Coldfoot

Prudhoe Bay,, this one is hard to find and only has a pump with no prices, just use your credit card. I have used it several times and I personally have never seen it closed. Not sure of the mileage, but for me the only issue is from Coldfoot to Prudhoe Bay, I can't make it there and back without refueling.

As mentioned a few BLM primitive campgrounds. The last one heading north I know of is near Wiseman. There are some awesome B&Bs at Wiseman and I like to stay there. Make sure to call and check or make a reservation.

I also use the pullouts, some have bathrooms.

The August weather is like a box of chocolates, you just never know. 3 years ago huge snow storm, 2 years ago monsoon rains and flooding, and last year crazy hot.

That said awesome trip and I would recommend going.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thanks for the replies. It looks like we will have to put this trip off until next year. My wife is scheduled for neck surgery on August 29th. So no long bouncy trips for her.

I drove the road every two weeks for three years. Feel Free to PM for any further questions you have. BLM puts out a nifty visitors Guide. Biggest thing I would say is spare tires and a CB to listen and talk to the truckers. They sure love it when you are able to communicate with them. It makes for easier passing of trucks plus they know what is going up and down the entire road.
    http://www.blm.gov/ak/st/en/prog/rec...alton_hwy.html

Dalton Highway Visitor Guide is a good read http://alaskageographic.org/uploads/...ton-vg2012.pdf

Stop by the visitors center at Yukon Crossing (on right just after the bridge) there's a nice retired couple who volunteer there who will line you out on all the road conditions, pullouts, etc. when I went up, we camped at the Bonanza creek pullout which was very nice and private, but buggy on the 4th of July. The next day was at the BLM campground just north of Coldfoot... 8 bucks, cash only, no change, so be prepared for that. We also camped just after Pump station 4 at a pullout, and had no problems... Good luck, it's a great ride, take it slow(save York tires), enjoy the scenery, and have fun..

Coldfoot has a very nice visitor's center. There is a nice little primitive camp spot, off the road. It's right on the other side of Atigan Pass by Galbraith Lake.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?