Thread: ADF&G EO: Crabbing closed

Default ADF&G EO: Crabbing closed

This just in from ADF&G...

Dear Stakeholder:

The noncommercial (subsistence, personal use, and sport) Tanner crab fisheries will not open July 15 for the 2012 - 2013 season in Cook Inlet waters west of a line from Point Pogibshi to Anchor Point and along the North Gulf Coast.

For more information, please see the attached news release and emergency order, or contact Assistant Area Management Biologist Carol Kerkvliet in Homer at (907) 235-8191.

EO-2-TC-7-27-12 Tanner Crab SF.PDF

Thanks for posting this ~ exacyly what we all feared/expected.
    Hopefully this fishery will rebound in K-Bay in the future as I thoroughlly enjoyed the one experience we had there last season.
    So what's the crabbing like outside the bay?
    We plan on dropping our crab pots in PWS and hope for the best when it opens in October.
    Sure would like to recoup some our initial investment.

well, that sucks. I didn't expect any different, but sucks anyways.
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    We plan on dropping our crab pots in PWS and hope for the best when it opens in October.
    Sure would like to recoup some our initial investment.
    You shouldn't have a problem finding them. I get a lot of crab bycatch in PWS when I set my shrimp pots to deep.

Attachment 61059

These are the biggest crabs that can fit through the tunnel on potbuilders collapsable pots. If you had real crab pots and a boat that could handle the weather in October you would do pretty well!!! Last weekend I made the tunnels smaller so the crabs can't get in and bother the shrimp. I think these were caught (and released) in about 650' depth.

I sure wish I could view this attachment.
    You've got me "baited".

We've got the 4-foot pots from the gear shed in Homer.

We caught two juve crabs in shrimp pots in Blackstone ealry and also one this past weekend.

Glad to see the little guys which means they're reproducing...

Deak, if you have any suggestions on where to prospect please PM me...I [purposely] have two spools of 900 foot combo float/sink line [others' are 600 sink] from Potbuilder Steve.

We have cabins rented for the crab/deer season and yes, we're hoping for good weather.
    We were out there in October last year and Whittier was rolling up the sidewalks and it already felt like a ghost town.
    Didn't know you could call for fuel [sign posted on side door rather than where we could see it from the boat] and nobody around.

I hope our boat will do well at 27 feet overall length...
    Thanks for your positive input on this important matter.

Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Deak View Post
    You shouldn't have a problem finding them. I get a lot of crab bycatch in PWS when I set my shrimp pots to deep.

Attachment 61059

These are the biggest crabs that can fit through the tunnel on potbuilders collapsable pots. If you had real crab pots and a boat that could handle the weather in October you would do pretty well!!! Last weekend I made the tunnels smaller so the crabs can't get in and bother the shrimp. I think these were caught (and released) in about 650' depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Deak View Post

Attachment 61059

This should keep them vermin out, either run some twine "bars" through the mesh or tie off some bars on the hoop. I'm going to test fish some new tunnel designs for the folding pots this summer, i'll report back once i get to fish them.
    folding with bars.jpgfolding with hoop bars.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    I sure wish I could view this attachment.
    You've got me "baited".

We've got the 4-foot pots from the gear shed in Homer.

We caught two juve crabs in shrimp pots in Blackstone ealry and also one this past weekend.

Glad to see the little guys which means they're reproducing...

Deak, if you have any suggestions on where to prospect please PM me...I [purposely] have two spools of 900 foot combo float/sink line [others' are 600 sink] from Potbuilder Steve.

We have cabins rented for the crab/deer season and yes, we're hoping for good weather.
    We were out there in October last year and Whittier was rolling up the sidewalks and it already felt like a ghost town.
    Didn't know you could call for fuel [sign posted on side door rather than where we could see it from the boat] and nobody around.

I hope our boat will do well at 27 feet overall length...
    Thanks for your positive input on this important matter.

Guy
    I think its a extra 40 bucks for the guy to come down and open the fuel dock. Be prepared for the butt whipping you'll get out there in October if you get caught in a breeze o' wind.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Its my understanding that there is a chance Kachemak (east of pogi) may still open later depending on the trawl survey results in mid-july. They will make another anouncement after they get the trawl survey results.

Copy all on both issues...
    It don't take much wind to really stir things up out there.
    Forecast was 10 & 2 Tuesday coming back from Green. By the time we came out of Kight Island at Disk Passage it was pretty rough going in our little boat. The main issue was since the wind changed to coming from the north it was hearder to run west.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I think its a extra 40 bucks for the guy to come down and open the fuel dock. Be prepared for the butt whipping you'll get out there in October if you get caught in a breeze o' wind.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoatR View Post
    Its my understanding that there is a chance Kachemak (east of pogi) may still open later depending on the trawl survey results in mid-july. They will make another anouncement after they get the trawl survey results.

In order for us to get to fish the trawl survey has to show numbers that reflect a 5 year average of 100,000 legal crab. Last year the survey showed only 41,000, hence the EO closing the fishery.
    This years numbers are still being crunched, but though anecdotal observations showed strong numbers we need REALLY strong numbers to bring the average up over the 5-year time period. There is a possibility that we may get an opener with a reduced bag limit, perhaps 3 (or even 2) but right now even that is not too likely.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Such a bummer......we've had nothing but good times with this fishery.

I hope I'm not telling my grandkids (in 30 or so years I hope) about how we used to actually get to crab fish in Kachemak back in my day, kinda how my grandparents and parents used to tell me about king crab and shrimp fishing in Kachemak back in their day.

Anybody have any plans on sliding past Gore point and laying gear? Or has anyone done it? I'm planning a 4-6 day trip the end of this month down that way and was wondering if it'd be worth while packing pots down there. I figured it was worth a shot.

Anyway, hopefully we'll see you guys out there next year coiling line.

A news release is forthcoming.
    I wouldn't be running out to buy a pot.

News release came out last night.
    21,000 legal males in estimate.
    No crabbing in k-bay this year.

Its the right thing to do.