Thread: Best muzzle brake for Saiga 308?

Default Best muzzle brake for Saiga 308?

Hi smart forum guys, I have another gun question...
    I've got a Saiga 308 (basic AK variant) and am currently doing the trigger conversion to the AK style for better handling. Besides doing that change, I think adding a muzzle brake would vastly improve the follow-up shots from this gun, and was wondering if any of you have experience with AK-type rifles, and muzzle brakes in particular.

I know I don't need to use an actual AK brake, that any well-engineered one would do, as long as it fit my barrel. So, can anyone recommend some parts, or better yet, a shop or person who can do the barrel threading and setup to do this right?
    Cheers, Dave

It make no sense to me to buy an inexpensive rifle only to add many accessories and modifications and spend money trying to make a silk purse of a sows ear. Why not save you money and buy a good rifle. And why does a 308 need a muzzle brake? But if it is 5/8"x24 several are available over the counter. I have removed all my noisy muzzle devices (brakes, flash suppressors) and replaced with quiet-er devices whose function is merely flash suppression. I prefer the short Belgian style or the Vortex.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

The Saiga series are "good rifles" if hunting is your game. I have worked on a few over the years and all have performed at the range and in the woods. I would thread it for 5/8"x24 as Murphy advised and put either a Phantom or Vortex suppressor on it. I think Midway or Brownells will have the needed tools and flash suppresors and if the flash suppressor is still not your cup of tea then go get a tax stamp and shoot or hunt with a registered 30 cal suppressor.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    It make no sense to me to buy an inexpensive rifle only to add many accessories and modifications and spend money trying to make a silk purse of a sows ear. Why not save you money and buy a good rifle. And why does a 308 need a muzzle brake? But if it is 5/8"x24 several are available over the counter. I have removed all my noisy muzzle devices (brakes, flash suppressors) and replaced with quiet-er devices whose function is merely flash suppression. I prefer the short Belgian style or the Vortex.
    Hi, thanx for the input, I might go with the Vortex.
    As to why change the gun? For the same reason I built a supercharged 500 hp Mustang, or improved the suspensions on all my racing motorcycles - improvements, done correctly, can make a difference.
    In this case, the Saiga is for my wife, who didn't like the recoil but likes the gun. A good muzzle brake should result in less felt recoil...
    Don't worry, we have lots and lots of good rifles and pistols!
    Cheers, Dave