Thread: Hares, Grouse, Ptarmigan in Oct.?

Default Hares, Grouse, Ptarmigan in Oct.?

I will be returning from deployment in Oct. and would love to get out and shoot some small game. I live in Chugiak and am curious as to whether there are any decent spots in the the area, in the valley, or farther north. I dont mind driving a couple hours to get on some game. I would be hunting with my wife and daughter. Not looking for specific GPS coordinates, just a general direction would be a big help. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Matt83 View Post
    I will be returning from deployment in Oct. and would love to get out and shoot some small game. I live in Chugiak and am curious as to whether there are any decent spots in the the area, in the valley, or farther north. I dont mind driving a couple hours to get on some game. I would be hunting with my wife and daughter. Not looking for specific GPS coordinates, just a general direction would be a big help. Thanks
    Are you planning on walking once you get to where you want to hunt? If you are willing to drive north a few hours I know of a place you can try. Chance at spruce hens, and the trail can get you into some high country for a chance at ptarmigan. Bit of a hike though, and since hunting season will have just ended, no guarantees anything will still be around.......if interested shoot me a pm.
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

PM sent...

Matt, send me a note when you get in town. I've got a few ideas I can send your way, from in-town options with a few birds to a couple hours driving with more solitude and either hares or birds.

Ok thanks Brian, I will do that...if I remember in 4 months, Im sure I will remember eventually lol

matt, i am also deployed currently. ill be doing some small game hunting when i get back. have you looked into hunting on ft. rich. i live on post and usually go hunting 2-3 times a week on post. lots of grouse and other small game out there. just a suggestion

I prefer not to hunt on Ft. Rich...too many rules and I dont want the military knowing what I have, since you have to register your weapons before bringing them on post, its none of their business in my opinion. That and once Im gone from post, I like to stay away from there. Are you in 4/25? If you would like to get off of post to hunt at all, let me know, I will be doing alot of exploring when I get back and would like someone to go with. Thanks

yes i am. 1501. i use my bow a lot back there on small game. i am always up for hunting anywhere usually its just me and another buddy of mine. i have a quad so we can ride to some places if you have one.ill PM you my number once i get back and we can see whats going on. im trying to get a bear hunt together for September depending on when i get back. see you out there

I dont have a quad yet, but I plan on getting one when I get back...hopefully they will be going for cheap since everyone will be wanting to buy new snowmachines. Ok I look forward to hearing from you, were not scheduled to be back until Oct. but you never know. Take care and be safe