Thread: knives for capeing

Default knives for capeing

What kind of knives do you use for capeing!

Havalon. That's the only knife you need for capeing. If you know how to cut joints properly, that's all you'll need for quartering too.

Cheap, dont need to sharpen, light and compact. It's the best knife out there

I choose to butcher and cape with a combination of a Cutco drop point and a Havalon Piranta....

So do many others...

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...=cutco+havalon
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

depends on what you mean by 'caping" as it doing all the finish work or just getting the hide off the carcass...
    for moose i'd try a havalon but it might be a bit flimsy, but for ALL FINISH work i use a havalon and i use it from start to finish on all bears, never even pull out another knife...
    for deer/goats/moose/caribou i use just a regular fixed blade knife thats been on my gatco sharpener to how i like it, don't matter what brand make or model as long as its sharp. my two go to knives are actually home made from my clients, rough jobs that work just great!
    i use those for taking the hide/quarters off the carcass.
    but when i'm turning hooves, eyes and so on or boning meat i use my havalon....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I have been using the classic "Muskrat Skinner's" for over 50 years, I am to old to change what works for me.

Havalon for the detailed stuff. I use a cheap 7" Rapala fillet knife for the rest. It bends, flexes, easy to sharpen, if I loose it or break it I am only out $15-20. As an assistant guide my current blade has lasted two season and worked on numerous moose, caribou, bears, goats, deer, and musk ox. Many fully body capes. Ialso use it to qauter and debone. That is just what has worked for me. But for sure add a Havalon to your pack.

Thanks for your post.

I bought a havalon this spring after helping my buddy skin/cape/flesh his brown bear in May...neat little tool
    Missing the greatest state in the Union!

I have to say that I had never even heard of the Havalon, much less used one......(don't get out much....lol) until recently a buddy came over with his when I was just starting to take the hide off the head of a little brownie a buddy of mine killed. All I can say is.........it sure was nice...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I have both of those and think they are one hard combo to beat! I never would have bought the Havalon but a good friend gave me one and I love it and wonder how I got by for so long without one.

Havalon and Cutco are the only two knives I carry in the field anymore. I got them both in orange, which I like. Both of them together make a great combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Havalon and Cutco are the only two knives I carry in the field anymore. I got them both in orange, which I like. Both of them together make a great combo.
    I am all about orange equipment as well Matt, sure makes life a lot easier when you or someone else sets your stuff down.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I have to say that I had never even heard of the Havalon, much less used one......(don't get out much....lol) until recently a buddy came over with his when I was just starting to take the hide off the head of a little brownie a buddy of mine killed. All I can say is.........it sure was nice...!!!
    Same here...when my buddy pulled it out I asked him why the hell he brought a utility knife to skin a bear...ate those words!
    Missing the greatest state in the Union!

Wait till you guys try a Helle. Like an eggen.