Thread: 45 black powder Navy Colt Question

Default 45 black powder Navy Colt Question

I have a buddy that has a Navy Colt Black Powder 45. He has a 45 Long Colt cylinder for it back at gold camp, which we can't get to yet due to flooding and deep snow yet.
    My question is, does anyone know what the max OAL is for those long colt cylinders? He wants me to load up some hard cast, gas checked 300 grain SWC's for it, but I'm leary of the length of the cylinder. I haven't been able to find any specs on the net as to the max bullet length for those add on cylinders.
    Up to 240 grains they list 1.600 max OAL and then jump to 1.650 OAL above 240 grain bullets in all the load data manuals. I'm just worried that 1.650 may be too long for that cylinder.
    Any help would be appreciated and I do know that cowboy loads are the intended load for that particular gun. These will be only as a back-up bear load and not a target load to only be used in an emergency situation. I'm sure the frame is not designed for repeated use of a large charged bullet.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyH View Post
    . I'm sure the frame is not designed for repeated use of a large charged bullet.
    Im sure the frame AND cylinder arent designed for one use of more than a cowboy load.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Im sure the frame AND cylinder arent designed for one use of more than a cowboy load.
    Thanks man, I figured if anyone knew it would be you. I'll probably scratch the idea to be on the safe side. Thanks again.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Thats good, you'd be the one liable if anyhting happened