Thread: Freshwater Opportunities between Anchorage and Homer

Default Freshwater Opportunities between Anchorage and Homer

I've never been to Alaska. My wife and I will be driving from Anchorage to Homer on August 23rd. I'm looking forward to a Halibut charter out of Homer, and fishing for Silver Salmon in the 'fishing hole' and off the spit. I was hoping people might have suggestions for a freshwater fishing experience, from shore, on our drive into Homer.

My wife and I aren't ancient, but we aren't as nimble as we used to be. Easy access would be a big plus.

Thanks!

aebikurt(at)gmail.com

You can fish the Kenai River for silvers and pinks (pink salmon aren't very good eating once they hit fresh water, but they're loads of fun to catch), and the access is very easy at Centennial Park right where the highway crosses the river. I'd also encourage you to stop at any small creek you cross and look for pink salmon. On even years there are very large returns of pinks, so your chances of finding them in random small creeks is pretty high and your timing perfect. You could also take a 45 minute detour to Hope to fish for pinks, which is a visit well worth making.

Thank you Brian! Let me know if you ever need some Texas fishing tips!

Dollies and silvers in the Anchor river, should be pretty good by then