Thread: Cross Sound report

Default Cross Sound report

We got lucky this trip; the king salmon fishing at Deer Harbor turned on the day we arrived in Elfin Cove, with most boats getting limits. Two days before there were 9 boats fishing and only one fish caught. All the fish we landed and all we saw were 10# - 18#, but there were a few reports of fish over 30#. We caught most of the fish trolling flashers and white hoochies, but the school of fish was thick enough so we also caught several on Point Wilson Darts. The black rockfish seemed to be less of a pain than usual.

The bottom out at Deer Harbor seemed to be covered with halibut. Halibut fishing was good, mostly for small fish - 10# - 30# on Point WIlson Darts and lead heads with scampi tails. We did get a couple over 100# soaking bait near Lemesurier Island. None of the fish we caught were mushy, and none of the fish we cleaned were chalky.

We were looking forward to a few crab dinners, so were bummed to learn that the dungeness crabs in Bartlett Cove and Dundas Bay had been wiped out by the growing sea otter population.

We didn't make it to Lituya Bay this trip because the weather was bad early and the salmon fishing was good late. Maybe next year. I hope Salt Chuckar makes it up there. We met up with him fishing on the Sisterís hump in Icy Strait. Good luck to you.
    Big_E

I noticed a lot of shrimp pots soaking around Pelican/Lesianski. Any idea how folks are doing for those?

An FYI on Deer Harbor. I was told the commercial opening there is July 1 and that the Kings get raped clean pretty quickly. I was advised to get your Deer Harbor fishing in before that commercial opening.

On a side note, have you been out to the hot springs out that way? Always wanted to schedule a trip out there sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaFishTerminator View Post
    I noticed a lot of shrimp pots soaking around Pelican/Lesianski. Any idea how folks are doing for those?

An FYI on Deer Harbor. I was told the commercial opening there is July 1 and that the Kings get raped clean pretty quickly. I was advised to get your Deer Harbor fishing in before that commercial opening.

On a side note, have you been out to the hot springs out that way? Always wanted to schedule a trip out there sometime.
    I noticed those pots too. I have been going there for years and never seen so many. The folks I talked to in Pelican said that they were getting just a few shrimp/prawns.

I used to fish Deer Harbor over the July 4 holiday because it meant one less day off work and because the fireworks in Pelican and Hoona were fun, but the commercial opener on July 1 sure puts the brakes on the salmon bite out there. If the guys am fishing with are interested in kings I get out there a week or two before the opener. If they don't care, I usually go later, when the weather is better and after the coho have arrived in good numbers.

I have been to the hot springs several times. If the weather is calm and you are familiar enough with the area you can anchor right in front of the springs and take a dingy in. We have always gone into Mirror Harbor and taken the trail to the hot springs.

Big_E